Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only problem I see with a wig [straight or not] is an immature classmate runs up and snatches it off her head! {don't ask me how I know this } Where I live I see a lot of teens wearing ext. medium, small, or micro braids. Yes it takes hours to put braids in, but they will last an entire school quarter {up to 3 months}. I rocked my ext. braids in college and loved it.
    http://www.Queenlocks.com
    Last edited by QueenLocks; 04-18-2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: correct some words...
    http://www.Queenlocks.com
    http://queenlocks.wordpress.com
    NP Member for 10+ years!
    NP Of The Month OCT. 2004

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this hits me hard. I am 14 now and I went through this same thing around 5th grade. Everyone around me had either hair so long that it didn't matter or straight hair. Maybe her styles could be more versatile and you can do like a banding method on her hair to stretch it out. It's totally normal for girls as I see. Explain to her exactly what you went through and maybe set money aside to take her to a natural hair salon, where she is being pampered and praised for her hair type. Hope this helps.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe you can flat iron her hair to just show her straight hair isn't all what it's cracked up to be (the agonizing hours it takes to get hair straight and the care you have to put in it after it's straightened). Just because you are natural doesn't mean you can't straighten (maybe once or twice a year) I know especially as a teen I tend to want straight hair just to feel a little more inclusive (I have a significant amount of white friends.. don't get me wrong it's not to "be white" sometimes I just don't like standing out too much which is understandable). Remember that the choices are not only natural or relaxed, but flat ironing is a very easy process and (for my hair) does not cause any noticeable damage at all (like I said.. twice a year for special occasions - usually prom or a banquet and Christmas). Then again, like I said previously after she's finished with the flat ironing process she probably will not want to have to go through all that trouble for a while! I do my hair myself and I often forget how much time it takes when I get the urge to flat iron lol.
    Also, explain to your daughter the damage relaxers do. I know when I was relaxed (I'm actually still in the process of transitioning) my hair was extremely dry and brittle and my ends were crazy split. Point out the damage you see in black girl's hair on the streets and show her the results of continuously forcing your hair to do something it's not. I know I for one always cringe when I see someone with dry, brittle, relaxed hair. The sight horrifies me and makes me never even want to walk down the same aisle as relaxers in a store again!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just read that she is 12. At that age I had my first real flat iron (although I had a relaxer I never wore my hair "down" before then). I didn't want straight hair for a while after that. I really did like it, but once again all the hard work of wrapping my hair (I didn't even moisturize my hair back then!) and making sure no water got on it was just plain tiring.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123