Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Loc Dirt Etiquette

When I saw the loc etiquette thread it made me think about the other day. I was in line in the dollar store behind a sister older than me with waist length dreads. On the back of her dreads was a glob of what looked like dried cake icing. I wanted to just scratch it off and give it to her, then I thought about telling her but I didn't want to get in a "dirt in your dreads convo". So I said nothing and felt pretty guilty.

I remember back in the day when strangers would pop loose threads or tags off your clothes sometimes with their mouths, and I was mad at myself for not just reaching and removing it and presenting it to her like most Philadelphians would do.

Dreads hold alot of dirt and debris and with my grands coming over it's easy to get a crust of bread stuck in your hair if a baby leaves in the bed or on the couch and your dreads brush against it. I would want someone to at least tell me.

Do you pick stuff out of strangers hair?
    Instigating and waiting for the REVOLUTION to begin!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would not just reach out and start picking. I would however let the person know in a nice way, like I would about a open fly or slip hanging, and offer to assist removing it if they like. If approached the right way, most people would be greatful.
    I'm doing this just for me! Locked and loving it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with past1227! I always appreciate people letting me know stuff like that discreetly. Plus, the fact that you're loc'd yourself should demontrate that you know what's up!

I have bad nerves and people randomly touching me would either scare the crap out of me or prompt me to get physical.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would appreciate it too if people would let me know if something wasn't right on me too.

For the most part when I notice things on people like their tags sticking out of their clothes, earrings about to fall off, I will say something and people have been very appreciative. I had to pull one lady aside in church to let her know that she was wearing her blouse was on the wrong side.

I had an experience a couple years ago with a lady on the bus, who had started her period, and from the evidence on the bus seat, she was not prepared. She was squirming, trying to hide and it, and I could tell that she was trying not to get any stains on her YELLOW dress, and I felt so bad for her.
    I VERY discreetly tried to let her know that I had a pad in my purse and offered it to her, and you would have thought that I called her out of her name.
    She gritted on me so hard, rolled her eyes and and refused the still wrapped pad, and ignored me.

I didn't take it personally, and just ignored her the rest of the trip. But if I was in her shoes, I would have been a HAPPYTHANKYOUJESUSLORDGODHOLLILOOYA somebody, that someone would offer to help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^Yup--her pride was no help. Yes we'd rather nobody see some of this stuff, but when God moves someone to help--take the help.

I would want to be told. I try not to take myself too seriously and with 5 kids--stuff gets on me.
    Nappy hair isn't burdensome. Dispel the myths early--blogging nappy hair care for girls.
    Blog
    Fotki
    CherishMyDaughter on YouTube and Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. I lie in Phoenix and people here don't mind if you let them know that something is on them or in their hair.

Shoot, I appreciate it myself because i don't want to look foolish
    Last Perm: April 1997
    BC'd: July 1997
    Loc'ed up: February 14, 2002
    Cut locs from TB to Bra Strap: November 2012

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would appreciate it too.
    If it happened to me (when it does) later on I would wonder "How long has that been there?, was it there the whole time?, why didn't anyone say anything?"
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do. -Bruce Lee

The power of the white world is threatened whenever a black man refuses to accept the white world's definitions.
    James A. Baldwin

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd bring it to their attention, but unless it was obviously lint or a twig I wouldn't be picking at mysterious stuff in people's hair - who knows what the hell it really is? Yuck!! #that's not dried cake icing!!!
    Dread since 2005

The Revolution will not be televised - Gil Scott Heron

My Fotki - pw: simiya

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL at the posts here. I really wish we had a "Thanks" button for the wonderful advice here.

@bejewelle, your post reminds me of the 1st time I saw a white girl with them glued in extensions in her hair. I remarked (to someone close to me that saw it too) that I was going to tell her (about that awful goo in her hair); the person grabbed my arm to stop me explaining that those were "extensions" in the girls hair and Shhhhhh!
    LOL, thanks for the memory....
    My Blog: http://locability.blogspot.com
    IT'S NOT ENOUGH TO REGISTER and VOTE; your DONATIONS are an important part of the process too. (Even those who CAN'T vote, CAN DONATE; remember MONEY TALKS!)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i remember i was sitting on the bus one day come back from a lip piercing in a tatoo shop and i seen this brothah with a fierce afro. and i saw something that looked like a little lint or something, so i gently tapped him on the shoulder, told him he had something in his hair and offered to remove it, he said ok, and i removed it, and his friend (white) exclaimed "was it a bug!?" i just said no and rolled my eyes. but yea i cant let some1 rocking such a fierce fro (and believe me that fro was fiiiiierrrrrccceeee) get caught up with some lint in his hair like......but that dried cake icing....lol
    http://images.meez.com/user/3/5/7/8/...ot_175x233.gif
    I'M BACK IN THE GAME BABY!!!

Locking it up TSTs locked for 2 days HA!!!!! })

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast