Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Straight Hair in Afro

So I have straight hair around the hairline and sometimes inside of my afro. I am pretty sure I did not always have these straight strands, nor do I know where they came from. I've had an afro for several year now, and have spent quite a looong time transitioning before that. The straight hair tends to get tangled up in my afro when I experience growth. I tend to try to keep it cut shorter than the rest of my hair because of this. The number of straight hairs has been increasing over time I noticed. I was wondering if there is any advice or suggestions on what to do with this hair.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming that you've cut all the relaxed hair out after all these years:

If you're still seeing straight hair then that's just your hair texture and you can't change it. It is VERY common for people with textured hair to have several different textures on their head.

If the difference is dramatic enough, and the 'fro is your preferred style, then keeping those areas cut shorter (to match the after-shrinkage length of the tighter textures) is probably the best thing you can do.
    How will your 2019 be different than any other year?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that keeping the straight sections short sounds like the best idea. It sounds like the straight strands are part of your natural hair texture, if all of the relaxed hair is gone and you don't have heat damage.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, really? Darn. I was worried because in the past couple of years I've seen an increase of straight strands, expecially in the back and around the ears. I thought I was doing something wrong or something incorrect. I'm debating on keeping an afro, but there was a time when I had dreads, and the straight hair wouldn't let the back dreads lock, and strangled others around my head. It was awkward. Thanks!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the increase of straight strands is on-going, it could be indicative of changes in hair structure due to age, hormonal shifts, or other internal changes. It could even be related to how your hair will eventually grey. I don't know how old you are, but I've read that many naturals have experienced a change in texture as they got older, or when dealng with health issues, or when their hair began to grey. Of course, this many NOT be your case - just some interesting considerations I thought I'd share, since random changes in texture are usually quite baffling.

ETA: So I just read your intro, and see that age is NOT your issue, Welcome to NP, by the way!!
    Last edited by CCmomof5; 03-31-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, thank you soo much. So I shouldn't worry about greying at 21 beause of it? It would be abnormal in my family. I know grandpa's hair is straightening now, but he's over 70 and it's mostly around his thinning, balding section.

I have been more stressed since college began, but I think it was there before then. I also thought that it might be from when my hair was permed, because in a few ways that permanently changed things like my hairline, and I think how long my hair tends to grow now. I just hope that if it continues, it isn't fragile or anything. Hopefully not just not predominantly in the back either, because that could pose a problem with styling I think.

Random sidenote: What's a good rule of thumb to use when one is trimming their hair evenly (for the first time)?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    Assuming that you've cut all the relaxed hair out after all these years:

If you're still seeing straight hair then that's just your hair texture and you can't change it. It is VERY common for people with textured hair to have several different textures on their head.

If the difference is dramatic enough, and the 'fro is your preferred style, then keeping those areas cut shorter (to match the after-shrinkage length of the tighter textures) is probably the best thing you can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by chromia View Post
    I agree that keeping the straight sections short sounds like the best idea. It sounds like the straight strands are part of your natural hair texture, if all of the relaxed hair is gone and you don't have heat damage.
    No offense, but the suggestions about keeping the straight sections shorter left me seeing red.

I'm used to people on NP being shocked over having different textures. But I'd never consider cutting certain sections into submission simply because they weren't nappy enough.

Mind you, it's all up to the OP. But I really don't want people to feel bad about something that their hair does naturally.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP I have a lot of straight hair in my Napptural mix and it's fine. I don't cut them,I don't do anything special (it's too much of my hair to consider cutting actually). It's fine. In the rare instances where it might mess up a style you can tuck them in and hide them if need be. I'm sure over time, however, you'll find them to be a non-issue.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Claire76 View Post
    No offense, but the suggestions about keeping the straight sections shorter left me seeing red.

I'm used to people on NP being shocked over having different textures. But I'd never consider cutting certain sections into submission simply because they weren't nappy enough.

Mind you, it's all up to the OP. But I really don't want people to feel bad about something that their hair does naturally.
    I really don't see how cutting your hair into a certain shape equals feeling bad about its nature. A haircut is a haircut is a haircut, and at the end of the day we can't feel like we have to keep each strand at the exact same length or else the shorter ones aren't getting enough love. I mean, no one is suggesting that the OP curly-perm her straighter strands, just that she trim them to blend in to the hairstyle she's going for.

OP: here's a useful video on trimming your own hair:

Last edited by CottonCrown; 03-31-2012 at 05:59 PM.

~~C~~O~~T~~T~~O~~N~~C~~R~~O~~W~~N~~

“The beauty of a girl can’t be mimicked, fabricated, or created by human means. It only occurs naturally.” ~~Pam Callaghan

G.Eve is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok now Op is cutting the straight ends, no biggie, she is wearing a fro. How about when/ if she decides to grow her hair longer? Will she have straight random short hair all over the place? Op, its up to you but I would consider what I want for the future of my hair b4 cutting some bits.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast