Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If my hair were work I wouldn't be afraid to say it but it isn't so I don't.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkdiva View Post
    Original Poster, thank you for that post. I really feel you on this. I think hair is like many other things in life, no two situations are the same. It has been hard for me. I have a sensitivity to smells and various products, add in some other stuff, and I get downright angry about various things, lol. Not to mention that as I am transitioning that it seems like stylists and the makers of hair care products are price gouging. Not all stylists but some.

I'm glad that you admit that it isn't easy and also I'm a Black mom but that didn't make it easier for me to know what I could use on my daughter's hair especially when you want to be safe, the child has allergies, and mom does too so it has been a struggle. I'm more comfortable doing her now though than mine because I can use a few things on her hair that would make me sick if I smelled them constantly.

Thanks again for making this transitioning girl feel better.

Awwww.....I get this. I have struggled over the years and I also struggled with my DD's hair. In the end, as I've mentioned before, I'm glad that I stuck it out, because now my baby girl is doing her own hair and she is so proud of it. That makes me proud!
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms-gg View Post
    My hair is a piece of work (2 hours to detangle on a good day-6+ hours on a bad day) but I've just accepted it and (I try my best) to deal with it.

I'm glad for all the people who don't struggle, but my hair is nothing but a lot of work
    Me, too!! I've had the marathon detangling days that have almost brought me to tears, but I now accept it as a part of being blessed with this much hair.

Quote Originally Posted by dessertfirst View Post
    But at the end of the day you work for what you really like. I work for my healthy, shiny hair just as much as I work to keep my body fit, skin glowing, and general maintenance that I feel pays off(even though at the time it seems like a chore).
    ^^ITA!!

Quote Originally Posted by debe_999 View Post
    CCmomof5, I have the same issue with thick hair, this was the hair dresser when they see how much hair they had to deal with. Now, as much as I love it, I'm not prepared to give it the time it needs right now.

DeBe

- yes, I've gotten that face from many a hairdresser!
    Last edited by CCmomof5; 04-10-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In January of this year I started searching the web for ways of improving my relaxed hair, I stumbled upon the natural hair blogs and decided that going natural might actually be my hair salvation. I have since observed two things:

1. Alot of bloggers give details of their hair care regimens and these regimens are so involving!!!! They prepoo, oil treat, co-wash, clarify, shampoo, condition, ACV, moisturise with etc and finally twist or do whatever.
    2. Alot of the bloggers have many hair products that they use to keep their hair healthy, moisturised and to make the hair grow, then to retain length. And these products are used all at once, i.e they are piled one on top of the other.

As a newbie I first found this quite exciting because I thought there were all this wonderfull things I could do to my hair to make it better - and here is where the "too much work" and product junk-eism comes in. I dashed to the nearest chemist and bought coconut, olive and castor oil, mixed them all up. Then proceeded to wash my hair, apply an egg protein treatment, applied a conditioning treatment with conditioner and the oils mixture, then sat down to air dry.
    I very quickly got over my initial excitment because it was too costly and time consuming, especially since I had to do not only my head, but my daugthers head as well.
    Over the past 3 months, I have realised that a simple routine, protective styling and very few products (3 actually, these being shampoo, conditioner & dax hair grease)work for my hair. Once a week when my hair is loose I simply shampoo, apply conditioner for a minute or two and rinse off, towel out excess water, grease scalp & ends and put in three strand twists whilst wet, and am done. The following morning I just comb it out and at night I braid it in 6 braids and so on and so forth. I apply more grease to ends every two days or so. My hair is doing quite well. I have been keeping it braided for about 4 weeks at a time then I take it down and do my simple routine for a week then braid again. When my hair is braided I just grease the scalp once a week.
    So for me and my daughter, I think the hard work has been removed. But like has been said a gazillion times already, hair differs from one person to another and its care is also based on individial preference.
    I have 4zzzz something hair - basically its very kinky/coily. I have accepted it as it is because I think its very beautiful (it has made me to look more apealing to men, hee hee hee) and is yet to let me down. I also think it is actually less work and less costly than relaxed hair. No painful and annoying trips to the saloon where I sit down in the hairdresser chair and allow them to abuse me, my heart, my head and hair for 1-2 hours as they torture me with creamy crack and basically try to pull out my hair with a comb. I think I even have less headaches for these past 3 months.
    Last edited by Rosina; 04-10-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I'll guess I'll give a different perspective.

While "struggle" may not be the word that best describes my natural hair experience, it *did* require a LOT more work than my relaxed hair. I don't think it's an issue of what makes which experience better or not, but it is a way that makes it different.

I'm going to leave it at that, out of respect to the mission of this board, but I think that this is a topic that doesn't get talked about enough out of fear of equating "work" with "difficult" with "bad." Or the admonitions-- direct or implied-- about wanting long hair and it being a "silly" goal if it supersedes being natural.
    Self-Love Coach :: Middle School Principal :: Mama :: Wife :: Author :: Black Girl Magic :: Queer :: Priestess:: Beyhive :: Head Queen Bee

Insta | Facebook | Website | Twitter

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Rosina: Pretty much what I had growing up, except it was braided in some way in the day time too.

DeBe
    Last edited by DeBe; 04-10-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liberationtheory View Post
    Well I'll guess I'll give a different perspective.

While "struggle" may not be the word that best describes my natural hair experience, it *did* require a LOT more work than my relaxed hair. I don't think it's an issue of what makes which experience better or not, but it is a way that makes it different.

I'm going to leave it at that, out of respect to the mission of this board, but I think that this is a topic that doesn't get talked about enough out of fear of equating "work" with "difficult" with "bad." Or the admonitions-- direct or implied-- about wanting long hair and it being a "silly" goal if it supersedes being natural.
    ^^Well said!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frankly for me, my relaxed hair was much easier to manage. I chose to be natural because I didn't like the process of getting a relaxer/retouch. But when my hair was relaxed, all I did was wrap my hair every night, put on a silk scarf and go to bed. In the mornings, took off the scarf, brushed my hair down into place and that was it. I didn't have to deal with SSK's, twisting my hair so that it doesn't end up smooshed in the mornings, spending a lot of time on a hairstyle just to have it look great in the morning before I leave and the coming home with another hairstyle due to the humidity etc... lol. But even though natural hair is more work for me, I love it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had my hair permed twice, relaxed twice and texturised twice and I can honestly say with my hand on my heart that having natural has been the easiest for me. I have always found chemically treated hair far too high maintenance, when one considers, the cost, the time spent in the hairdressers and maintaining the style. I am all about low maintenance. I am wearing my hair in braided cornrow extension. It gets very cold in the winter where I live and I need to have my hair in a protective hairstyle. In the summer I try to wear it out. The biggest problem I have with my natural hair(and I admit this is due to my own laziness) is washing it. It take so long. In fact I hate washing my own hair so much that I usually go to the hairdressers and let them deal with it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Bithiya;2666644]Agree with most of the above.

I also agree that a lot of people [in all races] are fighting their own hairtype in order to achieve a certain look or style.

I agree.

A (white) friend of mine is always complaining about not being able to manage her hair. 90% of the time she wears her hair up and when she does wear it down she feels she has to flat iron it. Whenever I see her, about once every six months, she has some horror story to tell me about her hair

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast