Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also agree that a lot of people [in all races] are fighting their own hairtype in order to achieve a certain look or style.

I agree.

A (white) friend of mine is always complaining about not being able to manage her hair. 90% of the time she wears her hair up and when she does wear it down she feels she has to flat iron it. Whenever I see her, about once every six months, she has some horror story to tell me about her hair

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I have always been more inclined to accept this and find the beauty in the hair length I have rather than curse God for giving me this bad, difficult, accursed hair and slap a perm in and/or a weave on."

That my friend, pretty much sums it up.
    la vida es un carnaval.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Liberation- the last part of your post pretty much sums up where I was going. Wehn we talk to other people, whether it be people of other races, or our own people, I can't help wonder if the tendency is to downplay the "struggle", work" "difficulty" or however you want to phrase it (if it exists for you) in an effort NOT to make our hair seem "bad". When I say bad, I'm not referring to the good/bad hair phenomenon per se, but maybe we don't want to deter people from going natural or maybe we don't want the "if my hair was like yours, I'd cut it off comments". Just sayin.....
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got sick of detangling after more than a decade of wearing my loose naps.
    Was either cut it or lock it.

I cut it, then locked it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My issue is detangling. But I've since learned how to keep tangles to a minimum, hairwashing day isn't such a trial anymore. But still... my loose hair will tangle MOMENTS after detangling.
    "I wore twists outside for the first time and the world didn't explode. Hurray." - JaeFuma

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meraki View Post
    My issue is detangling. But I've since learned how to keep tangles to a minimum, hairwashing day isn't such a trial anymore. But still... my loose hair will tangle MOMENTS after detangling.

I feel ya! I have experienced the same things and I, too have been able to figure out how to get around it.

Thanks so much ladies!
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's interesting that a lot of people default either to relaxed hair or "white girl hair" when they gauge how difficult or easy natural is. I agree that the degree of difficulty is both relative and specific to what someone's willing to do, but I set my gauge to other naturals. If Naturals A-E can wash, detangle, and style their hair in half the time that I can, then I admit that I will feel that my hair is requiring more work than it should. But generally most naturals seem to spend way more time, with many more particular steps than me, so I tend to think of my own hair as easy.
    If someone rants about their hair being difficult after normally having to spend 6, 7, 8, 9+ hours washing and styling their hair, I would have to agree. I admit that I am very thankful for my hair and feel very lucky when I hear many of these routines and hair journeys. Because I know my limits, and if I had to work with hair needing that much time and effort, I am pretty certain that I wouldn't stay natural.

Naturaldom tends to get painted as the land of countless hours of freed up time, easy styling, and overflowing wallets. Depends on who you ask, but there's a lot of sugar-coating going on . I think that potential naturals (and new mothers of natural children), should be warned of the difficulties that might come up, so at least they won't be completely blind-sided. Though, in the end, when they come looking for help most of the post will still read: "It's you; not your hair. Suck it up!"
    Big Chop: Nov. 14, 2007
    Current Length: MBL
    Hair Type: kinky-coily/curly, cottony, medium density
    GL1: WL (stretched) GL2: HL (stretched) UGL: Full SL wash n'go
    http://public.fotki.com/ckisland/
    ~ A million hugs to whoever PANK'd me~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was lazy with relaxed hair. My stylist would either put it in a style i didn't have to touch until the next week, or wet sets that I'd run my fingers through in the morning and call it a day.

With natural hair, I'm able to be even lazier. I'm anal with with my routine. Spritz, moisturize, seal, cover at night and hit them ends! Sms in the am as needed and fluff. When I feel grown I put it up. I have to wash/detangle, and DC myself, but I'd rather do that then make weekly trips for a hairdo. Slapping 50-11 moisturizers on my head is no big deal to me, and I'm a PJ anyway

Neither was/is difficult, but natural allows me to do less AND my 'do looks better!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ITA with Chacha. I feel like the struggles that I originally had with my hair, were frizz and shrinkage. Once I accepted these things, I began to see the beauty of my hair. Now, do not get me wrong, I do use a scarf and some gel to "slick" down my edges when I wear my hair in a puff, but I do Not in any way expect my edges to look like straight hair edges would.
    And like some other members previously stated, about hairstyling time, some styles may require more time and effort; but then again what hairstyle that u may want to wear is totally up to U.
    Last edited by lusciousnapsnkinks; 04-11-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    I joined in 2004. I had my 4th BC (and final one ) on Oct. 24, 2011. My hair is 4a-z. I work with my hair, not against it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AfroIsland View Post
    It's interesting that a lot of people default either to relaxed hair or "white girl hair" when they gauge how difficult or easy natural is. I agree that the degree of difficulty is both relative and specific to what someone's willing to do, but I set my gauge to other naturals.

If someone rants about their hair being difficult after normally having to spend 6, 7, 8, 9+ hours washing and styling their hair, I would have to agree.

Naturaldom tends to get painted as the land of countless hours of freed up time, easy styling, and overflowing wallets.

DITTO.
    I think the "default" you mention stems from Eurocentric slave-mentality conditioning, which basically sets European hair-care routines as the standard by which everyone else should measure theirs; when in reality it's just people [of all races] doing what they need to do.

I agree that spending an entire day on hair prep is too much time; if anyone following this thread is going through that, they should please post on Nappturality, so they can get advice.

Regarding the image of "Naturaldom": This gave me pause to go over my recently-posted daily routine; it's a total of 36 minutes, over half of which is done in the evening. Not spending all day in a beauty salon (these are increasingly banning children unless they are actual customers) really does free up family time & money, and also allows for cheaper, simpler at-home styling.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast