Htide is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default new sisterlocks-oily scalp? dandruff?

I am enjoying my new sisterlocks but I have a question. I was a loose nappy for many years and as such I was a daily rinser. My consultant told me to lay off the washing for a while until my locks have settled.

My hair is so coily that I've never been able to see my scalp really - it's a forest up there. Now with the partings, I can get a look. Recently I've noticed some flakes. I've never had dandruff before so I'm not sure if that's what this is. I've rubbed my scalp with my fingertips and noticed that it's oily. I guess it's sebum because I haven't been adding anything to my hair except a little water spritz from time to time. Since I was always rinsing, I guess I never noticed it before pre-installation days? What is dandruff, accumulated sebum? Or is it a dry scalp?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We do encourage people to wash their locs if their locs are dirty. I know the reason the consultant said lay off the washing is because some folks get slippage and it takes extra time to do the retightenings. However if you wish to follow her advice but still keep your scalp clean some folks use witch hazel or other cleansing methods. Check out out the When do I shampoo section.
    (Will move this thread there)
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...