Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a bit darker than my avatar with red undertones. I used to bite the bullet go to MAC, because they match their shades to your complexion perfectly. I tried to find dupes in the drug store, but it didn't work out (and neither did the extra makeup; aggravated my acne something fierce--so I stopped wearing it two years ago).

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iman and Cover Girl Queen Collection.

In Iman I use the Clay 5 foundation as a concealer (just under/around the eyes)--direct dupe of the one of the MAC Matchmaker shades--and the pressed powder in Clay Medium Dark.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

many inexpensive cosmetic companies that do have colors dark enough usually aren't made for women of color (they use the wrong undertones, typically red/pink colors)
    ^I have golden/yellow undertones. That said, there are other women of color who have red/pink undertones.

As for me and my face...Right now I'm using L'Oreal's True Match foundation.

There are a couple of Maybelline shades that I'm interested in trying. I believe they're the ones Karibana mentioned.

The last foundation I used from Maybelline was in their Fit Me line. I think I bought 320/325. They have a few darker shades though, as seen here.

Even though I can't always afford it, I still prefer using products from companies such as MAC. I think I'm going to have to arrange my budget accordingly.
    Last edited by Claire76; 04-30-2012 at 04:12 PM.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a fan of black opal products. :-)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had luck with the Maybelline Fit Me line and L'Oreal True Match.

Both match me pretty well. In Maybelline I'm a 350 Caramel. I ended up going with L'Oreal, though. I have their liquid makeup in Cappuccino N8 and the corresponding powder.

I was able to find my Maybelline match by checking ladies on YT that were about the same color as me. I found my L'Oreal match by answering the questions on their website.

I was never too sure about my undertones. My answers to the questions pointed me to neutral and the makeup looks alright, so.

@newlife2169:

I'm using my foundation as an eye concealer, too. I mix it with a bit of my super thick moisturizer and apply it and then set it with the powder. It works great.
    Last edited by dayna; 06-06-2012 at 06:38 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Milani has some nice eyeshadows. You can find their products in Walgreens and CVS. I spend a little more for my foundation. I like Flori Roberts foundation.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm currently using Iman and I'm satisfied with the brand. I purchase from Sear's and right now they're having 50% off all their cosmetics; NYX, Flori Roberts, Loreal, etc. If I ever stop using Iman I plan on graduating to Bobbi Brown. I've heard nothing but great comments for BB foundations. Oh and I'm a brown-skin diva; a mix between Lauren Hill and Nia Long, if that helps any.
    A woman who tells you her age will tell you anything

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drugstore foundations don't work for me. I have yellow undertones and the drugstore foundations I've tried in darker shades are too red. I wanted to love Iman. I exchanged like 3 colors at ULTA trying to make it work lol, but none matched perfectly. So I use NARS or Cover FX, which I get from Sephora. Cover FX is also specifically for sensitive skin and was formulated by dermatologists so that's really my number one. I get the powder foundation and I splurged on the brush and the coverage is great and not heavy.

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate CurlyGirl View Post
    Drugstore foundations don't work for me. I have yellow undertones and the drugstore foundations I've tried in darker shades are too red. I wanted to love Iman. I exchanged like 3 colors at ULTA trying to make it work lol, but none matched perfectly. So I use NARS or Cover FX, which I get from Sephora. Cover FX is also specifically for sensitive skin and was formulated by dermatologists so that's really my number one. I get the powder foundation and I splurged on the brush and the coverage is great and not heavy.
    Indeed, CoverFX is excellent (NARS doesn't need to be said, that's my brand of brands).

I mean, really, folks should spend money on their skin products and then go cheaper if needed on their color products. As good as some drugstore brands can be, they just really aren't a match for the better brands. That's funny that folks said Iman was too ashy for their yellow tones because her foundations are close but not quite red enough for me. That's typical of mass-market brands, they tend to stay neutral so they can hit a lager percentage of the population but be because of that the colors are usually not entirely right for anyone.
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One drugstore chain here carries Covet FX. I will check it out. I still have to McGyver tinted moisturiser though

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast