Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol @you kicking a possum! I hope to grow some potatoes, never have before. What is the flavor and texture of the rutabaga?

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lockolatte View Post
    Lol @you kicking a possum! I hope to grow some potatoes, never have before. What is the flavor and texture of the rutabaga?
    ^OnceT I grew a sweet potato vine in my dorm room in a tall glass bottle. I attached white string to the vines and then had them grow upward over my window Iono...I got the idea from a newspaper article of the day.
    n e way: What does rutabaga taste like? I think they taste like potatoes. Some say they taste like cabbages or a turnips. You can mash them with potatoes if you want or roast 'em. Yeah, you'll think they resemble potatoes in texture.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank for the info OHR.
    I was finally able to find some tomato cages. Walmart only had a few and I bought several. Here are a few pix:

Cucumbers and tomatoes Okra in front and gourds in back

Everything in its own cage

Collards got cooked yesterday. I moves some peppers to one earthbox. The other one is empty.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The edit button disappeared. Anyway, today I bought some more poles for my tomatoes. We've been having so many storms I don't want to take any chances. Also I used twine to secure the tomatoes and peppers to the supports. What do you all use to secure your plants?

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you all use to secure your plants?
    Gurl, I'm low rent all.the.way. when it comes to stakes...I've used old used sticks and used old rags, torn into strips to tie the vines upright...I've also used the twist ties from loaves of bread and such to secure.

Edit: I was tempted to buy more lettuce plants today...but didn't. I do need to plant more green bean seeds though...if I remember, I'll do that before leaving for work in the morning.

Edit #2: I cut up that large rutabaga Mom gave me and freezed most of it. Put some in a stew I made yesterday...very good.
    Last edited by OHR; 05-29-2012 at 01:17 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had to change this. My dad corrected me when I showed him my pics.
    lol. Dad's what would we do without them. lol. I love the flowers and they sound pretty resilient. That's the type of plant that I need.

The edit button disappeared. Anyway, today I bought some more poles for my tomatoes. We've been having so many storms I don't want to take any chances. Also I used twine to secure the tomatoes and peppers to the supports. What do you all use to secure your plants?
    Your garden looks great (as usual). Are those bamboo sticks holding up the tomatoes?

Well, speaking of dads, here are a few pictures of my dad's garden. My oldest brother and I helped him stake tomatoes two weeks ago. He used cages one year, but he usually just uses wooden stakes and ties them up with twine. He gets them made at a local wood shop (free of charge).

These pictures don't include everything that he has growing, just the plants that we worked on when I visited. He also has watermelons, turnips, zucchinis, red and green peppers, and some other stuff growing. I forget.

Peas

Corn

Peas after I dusted them

Tomatoes

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm no gardener, I swear I have a brown thumb. haha.

Who has the lovely chicks and hens at there home? I remember asking someone about them a while back. I adore those plants and I finally got some plants for my place a few days ago. I have two others; however, I haven't potted them yet. (I won't share pictures of the three dead plants that I have sitting around here.)

My little babies:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OHR: At least you can find lettuce plants there. I've yet to see any lettuce seedlings here. I have had to buy seeds. Maybe I'm not checking for them soon enough.
    [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Whitley:[/COLOR] Thanks! I love your dad's garden! I can see how beautiful that corn is going to be once it gets tall! What is that stuff you put on the peas? OHR has a LOT of hens and chicks in her yard under a tree I believe... I only have a few, but I love those cute little plants because you don't have to do anything to keep them alive, lol!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whitley Gilbert View Post
    Who has the lovely chicks and hens at there home? I remember asking someone about them a while back. I adore those plants and I finally got some plants for my place a few days ago. I have two others; however, I haven't potted them yet. (I won't share pictures of the three dead plants that I have sitting around here.
    ^Yep, that's me Whitley! Hens and chicks do very well under medium sized trees...and I sure have a lot of them this season. When I have a chance, I'll take new pics of them.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at the kids' raised bed at school.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast