Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 73-year-old woman climbs Everest

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1529599.html

KATMANDU, Nepal -- A 73-year-old Japanese woman climbed to Mount Everest's peak Saturday, smashing her own record to again become the oldest woman to scale the world's highest mountain.

Tamae Watanabe reached Everest's 8,850-meter-high (29,035-foot-high) summit from the northern side of the mountain in Tibet on Saturday morning with four other team members, said Ang Tshering of the China Tibet Mountaineering Association in Nepal.

Watanabe had climbed Everest in 2002 at the age of 63 to become the oldest woman to scale the mountain. She had retained the title until she topped herself a decade later.

Tshering said Watanabe and the other team members are in good condition and are on their way back to the base of the mountain.

Watanabe and her team left the last high altitude camp located at 8,300 meters (27,225 feet) Friday night and climbed all night before reaching the summit Saturday morning.

Weather conditions have improved on the mountains this week.

Teams have begun reaching the summit even from the Nepalese side in the southern of the mountain, according to Nepal's mountaineering department.

The first teams from the Nepalese side reached the summit on Friday, and many more reached the summit on Saturday morning.

Weather conditions on the mountain have been challenging this year, prompting several expeditions to cancel their plans to try to reach the summit.

May is considered the best month to climb Everest, when climbers get about two windows of good weather for their bid for the summit.

The oldest person to climb Everest is a Nepalese man, Min Bahadur Sherchan, who climbed Everest in 2008 at the age of 76.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw this and shared it on Twitter yesterday. I just think that's great. It's odd how people want to classify themselves as old way before it's time. I have a friend I went to college with who said he was an "old man" and he was serious. We're both in our 40s now as we were in college together.

I'm getting back into casual hiking. I don't think I'll ever go for hardcore climbing though, but I think it's just great that she beat her own record! Good for her!
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard about her on NPR on the drive up on 71 today. Kudos!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love to see older women doing anything grand. It's just so awesome and inspiring. It's a reminder to myself and others that we can never limit what we can do because there is so much that can accomplish in life at any age. Our life doesn't end when we hit 50. (I've got a long way to 50, but that's how it seems some people feel.) I intend to be willing to be my best until I'm no longer Able.
    ~Live each moment of your life; Laugh just for the hell of it; Love everyone.~

Journey Pics and Fitness Pics at www.public.fotki.com/ImFree2
    MommyHot25 on YouTube