Reviews
    Read 7 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking This is some Tough Love

‎I believe that our hair fear has been ingrained in us, unintentionally, for generations. It is something that is very difficult to talk about mostly because people don’t want to hear it! We have a hair inferiority complex. Bombarded day and night by straight haired Europeans who have the standard of beauty locked up, while our hair and natural features are vilified not only by those of European descent, but by our own. We began to straighten our hair NOT because it was “easier to manage” – we had worn our hair natural for thousands of years. The skills involved in hair styling, braiding, weaving, decoration were passed down from generation to generation – Africans only began to brutally straighten and destroy their hair on a wide scale after European colonization - to emulate those who were deemed to be “better” than they were - their captors; people who had control over them and their lives and who dictated to them what is acceptable and what was not. They were taught that they were completely inferior, their culture, their minds, their features, their stature, their hair, their skin.

So now we, the descendents of those people use dangerous and burning chemicals and searing metal to continually straighten our hair at any cost, then cover it up with wigs or weave once it's burnt out of our heads. And the cycle continues, helped along by a $billion dollar Black hair product and image industry profiting off and enabling our inferiority complex and encouraging ignorance.

This is the history, we can’t change that – but the first step to a better future is to admit the truth and not sugarcoat it with the “manageability” and “professionalism” excuses I hear so often.

Finally, hairdressers who don’t even know their own natural hair have no standing to comment on what is “manageable” and what isn’t “manageable” for their clients’ natural hair. How can they give informed advice without knowledge and experience? We should encourage our stylists to at least be open to learning the truth about their own natural hair before pushing straighteners on us.
    "The truth is, your natural hair, in all its texture, is the hair that is ideal for YOU.."
    ~Dee~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I concur with deecoily, above educated message. Let's stop faking and abusing our hair w/ harsh chemicals, eye-squinting weaves and roasting flat irons because we are sooo beautiful with our natural hair.

LOVE & BLESSINGS

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking on a stylist point of view, this is so true. People have chemicals pushed on them and then when they get to my natural hair salon they think I am going to push some them. No hunny, your napps are good here. The nappier the better I tell them. I am also tired of stylist saying I do natural hair or I work with natural hair then, the I can press your hair so good people will think you have a perm. What kinda mess is that? You don't work with natural hair! Dang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woooooo! I think I caught the Holy Ghost just now. Preach Dee! Stop lying black people! Stop telling me you get your hair burned straight then covered with Asian dumpster hair because it is "easier". That's so irritating.
    ~Sanity is Subversive~

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities~ Voltaire

5. Likes hivierhair liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

preach! you can still be natural and run to a hot comb just to look "professional" or "formal" ~ thats denying that natural kinks are any part of that

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ashe! I recently went to a natural hair salon and, while chemicals were not used, hair straightening techniques were definitely preferred over simply natural styles (braids, twists, etc.). It was really a sad sight.
    "To whom much is given much is required."

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nuttin' but the truth, D!!
    The decisions you make in life can be detrimental if not chosen correctly.
    ~KellyVonn~
    Patience is key !

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PREACH!! A lot of people are scared to admit this!
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PALABRA, Dee!

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spot on!!! That "manageability" thing gets me every time.
    Can't get much more manageable than a wash n go 'fro!

And isn't so backwards that many stylists only know how to/are willing to care for altered hair vs natural???

Where does this place people who are natural but want to str8ten for "special occasions" or those who like a lot of "variety"? Well, for one, you can't tell me there aren't any natural styles that can be done for "special occasions". There are so many intricate, gorgeous styles.

"Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast