Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cold-Pressed Castor

Does castor help to thicken hair and retain length?

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Castor oil has thickened hair for some people, but not for me. I use it once a week. Doesn't work for everyone. It is a pretty good sealant, since it is so thick. It works better to seal the ends for me than other oils, like olive, coconut, almond. Moisturized and sealed ends=more length retention.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been wondering about castor oil for some time. I purchased it the other day after hearing about how it deals with thinning edges. :/ My edges look extremely rough. Unfortunately, I'm going into this blind. I have no idea how much to put on, when to put it on, how often, etc. I'm just globing it on once a night before I put on my bonnet. Hopefully, this works.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like castor oil, but I've found that daily use causes my hair to be somewhat stiff with the accumulation - this even with daily soaks in the shower. So I've ended up skipping days and relying on water to 'reactivate' the prior applications; eventually it has to be shampooed out.
    That being said, I find that a TINY amount after my morning shower does an excellent job of defining my SLO pattern without the use of curl activator gel - maybe because of its weight doing a subtle stretch on my hair - which is great because the curl activator line I'd settled on [Luster's] contains some alcohol, which I know causes dryness. A natural product that frees me up from alcohol as an ingredient is good.
    I use Home Health's brand. I apply it by dividing my wet hair down the middle (front to back part) and working a dime-sized amount into each half; any more than that and it feels too heavy, like my hair can't move.

I never thought of putting it on at night or using it on the ends only - but since it is so heavy, a tiny dab at night has a good chance of being protective; I think this is worth a try. However, I can't imagine "globbing it on"; it is so viscous that I believe this would stick the hair strands together and block efforts to groom (with a comb or fingers).

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Bithiya; 08-19-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Lines 5 and 6: Improved spacing.

toriq is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't think it helped to retain length or has thickened my hair (i honestly don't think anything can thicken one's hair) but i do like using it when i deep condition since it's so heavy. i absolutely HATE dealing with it outside of that though because it's just greasy!
    reflect...

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not convinced of it's thickening effects, but since I'm not seeking that effect, I"ll speak to the benefits I have experienced. My length retention has increased since I've been consistently using castor oil. But I can't give castor oil ALL the credit - I think it's more because of what I'm using the castor oil to seal in, which is aloe vera juice and/or a healthy cream.

As a sealant - castor oil is the best choice for me hands down. So I think that if you use it to seal in healthy moisturizers, it's very likely that it can help with length retention.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CCmomof5 View Post
    I'm not convinced of it's thickening effects, but since I'm not seeking that effect, I"ll speak to the benefits I have experienced. My length retention has increased since I've been consistently using castor oil. But I can't give castor oil ALL the credit - I think it's more because of what I'm using the castor oil to seal in, which is aloe vera juice and/or a healthy cream.

As a sealant - castor oil is the best choice for me hands down. So I think that if you use it to seal in healthy moisturizers, it's very likely that it can help with length retention.
    ^It's interesting that I'm reading your post re: castor oil. I used it over a aloe vera juice/water spritz, then followed up with SM smoothie. At first, I was kinda at the oily texture, but after I reminded myself that my hair is low in porosity, after about a day, my hair feels smooth and not oily. The ends, which typically knot up when wearing twist-outs, is relatively free of them.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have lots of castor oil due to my soap making. The natural castor I use has a bitter smell so I never thought to use it on hair or body HOWEVER winter is here and my hair is incredibly dry, so I had some castor oil, mixed it with a white floral fragrance oil given to me by another soaper...this stuff is wonderful.

I used a lite whipped shea mixure on my hair first then coated my hair with castor oil. My locks feel great and so do my hands.

I have a batch of whipped shea I plan on mixing later for body use and castor oil is definately going in.
    Instigating and waiting for the REVOLUTION to begin!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soapinphilly View Post
    I have lots of castor oil due to my soap making. The natural castor I use has a bitter smell so I never thought to use it on hair or body HOWEVER winter is here and my hair is incredibly dry, so I had some castor oil, mixed it with a white floral fragrance oil given to me by another soaper...this stuff is wonderful.

I used a lite whipped shea mixure on my hair first then coated my hair with castor oil. My locks feel great and so do my hands.

I have a batch of whipped shea I plan on mixing later for body use and castor oil is definately going in.
    I am in! I love castor oil and I will be going back to it, nothing beats it as a sealant.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use specifically Jamaican Black Castor oil to seal my ends. I've used it for over 6 months and I must say, it has DEFINITELY helped my to retain length and to also prevent damage. It is VERY protecting! I use it in my scalp oil mix as well. I very rarely put it on my strands since I feel like it is too heavy on them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast