Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Natural hair mini-documentary in the New York Times

Terrific piece:

"When I set out to make a documentary about black women who are “transitioning” — cutting off their chemically straightened hair and embracing their natural kinky afro texture — I had no intention of appearing in the film. I felt I was an objective observer and really just wanted to highlight a growing movement. (Of the 50 or so women I struck up conversations with randomly on the street, the vast majority had gone natural within the last three years. According to one industry study, sales of chemical straightening kits, which can be harmful, reportedly dropped by 17 percent between 2006 and 2011.) But including my own story forced me to examine how I felt about my hair with more honesty than ever before."

ETA: I see TalkingYam in the vid! Her locs are gone and she's got a dope soft updo with cornrows on the side.
    Last edited by Lafleur; 06-01-2012 at 03:22 PM.
    The search function (located above in the links with "User CP") will provide you with a wealth of knowledge, advice, thought-provoking ideas, and hilarity. Check it out!

Last Chemical Fire Cream: February 2001 * Transition Style: Extension braids * BC: November 2001 * Joined Nappturality: December 2002 * Characteristics: mostly coils and undefined naps with patches of straight hair and curls; fine; thin-ish; highly porous; shrinky!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for posting. When I saw this article on the front page of the Times this morning I was like "meh," thinking it was just another "black woman pathology" piece that the white mainstream media loves to feature when they can't think of anything else to write about.

But on your recommendation I went back and watched the video (5 minutes) and was pleasantly surprised. The women in it are really beautiful and and the filmmaker looked so great with her TWA it actually made me think about BC'ing again!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swingbolder View Post
    Thanks for posting. When I saw this article on the front page of the Times this morning I was like "meh," thinking it was just another "black woman pathology" piece that the white mainstream media loves to feature when they can't think of anything else to write about.

But on your recommendation I went back and watched the video (5 minutes) and was pleasantly surprised. The women in it are really beautiful and and the filmmaker looked so great with her TWA it actually made me think about BC'ing again!
    I also give a strong side eye to "black women are this and that" articles as well, but this doc was affirming. And I've been happily nappy for 11+ years. Her TWA is giving me ideas...!
    The search function (located above in the links with "User CP") will provide you with a wealth of knowledge, advice, thought-provoking ideas, and hilarity. Check it out!

Last Chemical Fire Cream: February 2001 * Transition Style: Extension braids * BC: November 2001 * Joined Nappturality: December 2002 * Characteristics: mostly coils and undefined naps with patches of straight hair and curls; fine; thin-ish; highly porous; shrinky!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was an awesome read and great video. Thanks for sharing!

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoyed the video too!!!!!
    "Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked the video a lot! It was very well done and left me wanting more. I dont necessarily feel like part of a revolution, but if I am an unknowing participant, then that's okay too!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice...
    12th year of freedom

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love it. Watched it twice. Thanks for sharing
    7 year locs, relaxing and enjoying life

album pw: gummy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Informative and inspirational article and video! That 17 percent drop in chemical straightening sales is telling!

Thank you for posting the story.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I LOVE this clip. Blogs, vlogs, etc. really are used to affirm the beauty of natural hair. I can't stop cheesing!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast