Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Giddy-Up: Side Bun

I tried to style my hair, today. I used this video by the BronzeGoddess01 on Youtube:

I never thought I would be a side, bun type of woman. I like symmetry. But, I did it, wore a little foundation and a dress! "Harpo! Who dis woman???"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the style! I also started wearing makeup regularly when I started my locs. For me, I didn't feel the locs looked too cute so I had to cuten up my face! Mine were a lot shorter, fuzzier, and spikier(sp) than yours.

Re: the acv rinses, I actually use that as my conditioning treatment. Wash, rinse with water. Spray with dilute ACV and let sit for a while, then rinse that out. I don't use any other type of conditioner because I'm scared of build up.
    My album

password: gemela

Himmy is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi...I work out (cardio and weight train as well). I usually just wrap my locz. I'm guessing I'm probably going to have to do something new now that my locz are getting longer. They tend to get really hot and I sweat a lot. I started semi free forming in hopes that will help a bit. Welcome to the world of locz. Blessings....

**I added some pictures to my page here on NP if you'd like to take a look. Peace...
    Last edited by Himmy; 06-30-2012 at 11:08 PM.
    Thank you, Jah!!!! Thank you!!!!

I updated my picture album here on NP ya'll. Year 4! What a blessing to be a loc sistah!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Time Flies

It has been close to 8 weeks, now. I had a moment, a small one, but a moment nonetheless. It was regret, I think. Maybe it was fear. I came across a tutorial. It was actually one of those natural hair channels on Youtube. The woman was wearing a clip-on weave that she had created. But, the weave looked like my hair used to look when it was loose and twisted out. I had to stop watching the video. "Maybe I should just take these out! Most of them aren't loc'd, anyway!" I had to stop the video and collected myself.

I had prepared myself for this. I read about this. I have gone about three weeks, now, without disturbing my hair. Just today, I decided to spritz my hair with a bit of water and rubbed a little argon oil in it. M<y hair was fuzzy, anyway. And, it just felt like the right thing to do. It was like my hair needed a drink.

I am all better, now. I am enjoying my hair. But, I am trying not to watch it so closely.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Time Out

I am scheduling my next appointment in about two weeks. I was determined to go at least six weeks, and that is going to happen. I am starting to get the itches--but that is no big deal, this time around. I noticed that my hair was getting dry. I tried to quench it from the outside with a bit of water; and, from the inside by drinking more water. I noticed that my hair is also a bit more tangled. I am not so quick to detangle it, this time around. Is this part of the process? Is this a part of my process?

We shall see.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Am I Budding?

The other night, I got a bit excited. So, I examined it. It was different from my other new locs. It was a little denser, thicker, more tangled. It looked that pictures of "buds" that I had seen, before. I felt like I was on an episode of "House", trying to diagnose an ailment. It was a mystery.

I took a picture of it--could it be?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ready to Roll

Honestly, I looked like a hot mess. I am prolonging my hair appointment for another week, maybe two! I have puffy roots with my newbie coils on the ends. My hair is spinning around itself. At times the ends are tangled together. Other times the length of the hair is hugging its partner. I am not complaining--this is good! Tangles and knots--bring it on. But, I do want to have a degree of polish not only for myself, but I am a teacher. I know I am often the entry point for a lot of questions and I challenge many of my students ideas about their world. And, truth be told, I was voted Best Dressed and most put together by a group of 7th graders. When you consider how picky and fickle they are--that is saying a lot! I have to keep myself together; I like doing that.

Something had to give.

I are more and more confident about touching and styling my hair. I am not so afraid of things falling apart. Coils can be retwisted and are there really "mistakes"? Just learning opportunities. I pulled out the curling rods. I spritzed my hair with some plain water. Then, I curled my hair. I was pleasantly surprised. My loose hair NEVER held a curl, neither did my relaxed hair. The fuzziness of my hair lent itself well to the illusion of fuller hair. I was pleased. This will definitely be one of my go-to methods when trying to stretch out those appointments.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The roller set looks good girl! Keep it up!
    ~~Started Locks (2STs): April 20, 2006~~
    Fotki

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loving the roller set.

The pic above, looks as if its bunching. You could describe bunching as an uber 'bud'. I'd have your loctician take a closer look when you go for your next appointment.

DeBe

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default You Don't Know What You Got 'Til It's Gone

At least that is how the song and saying goes. I could not do it, anymore. I love locs. I think they are gorgeous. However, the further I got into the process the more I missed my hair. Now, I did not do much with it other than a bun (in various positions) and a twist out (the size depended on the weather). But, I missed the feeling of my hair. I missed the freedom from shops and appointments. I missed washing and conditioning and twisting my hair. I did not like planning events around my hair. And, even though I had gotten fairly good at retwisting the front of my hair in between appointments, I did not like manipulating and touching my hair that much. I mean, if leaving it alone is what got me what I had--then, I want to continue to leave it alone. Was I heading down the road of losing hair from the maintenance? I did not like spending the additional money. There was too much that I did not like, compared to what I liked.

So about a week ago, the process began.

It began as an inquiry. I was curious.

Can I take these out?

Youtube and hundreds of women cannot be wrong. I can do it.

If six year old locs can be removed, mine can.

And, if the process is too much, I am not above chopping it off.

But, I was in this for the long haul.

I started with the back and got one loose. It was not too hard; just a little tangled. I saw the familiar texture begin to peak through. I ran conditioner through it. I can do this.

I started with the back row. It was easy to hide. I just wore low ponytails and buns. I would soak two to three locs, at a time, and gently pick at them with a rattail comb. I was able to meet my quota for removal, and then some. I became more confident in my process. I would soak a loc in warm water, saturate it with cheap conditioner and just pick. I would pick in the car, pick on the couch, pick while reading. I was in just a hurry for my hair to loc now I wished it would stop!

Then, I started putting hot water and conditioner in snack baggies. I put a few locs in the baggy; closed it up; clipped the baggy to my head; and did chores or homework. This allowed them to get REALLY wet and stay wet while I worked on a few.

I am not down to a small patch of around 10-12. It's in the front, but not completely obvious. I thought about wearing scarves, for a while. But, my soon-to-be nine year old said, "Oh no. That doesn't look right." She was right.

Needless to say, I love my loose hair.

Maybe I will loc in the future.

Maybe, not at all.

I have been told, "You weren't patient, enough" and even, "I am disappointed."

The former is not true. And, to the latter, "I am sorry my hair makes you feel that way." (Chuckling.)

I do know, that I will always appreciate what is on my head, though.

11. Thanks KoilyLocGirl thanked for this post
    Likes Lockolatte liked this post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast