Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A Message for Natural Hair Elitists

We at NP have had that convo many times and have pretty much settled it. But it still tickles me when the rest of the world catches up.

Source.

We’ve become terribly critical of the way women wear their natural hair because of this surge of information and products. It’s a blessing and a curse. Simply because we’ve expanded our natural hair vocabulary to include these helpful styling terms doesn’t mean that anyone is forced to scrunch, coil, fingerstyle, spiral set, shingle, braid or twist anything. Nor should you be put to shame because you favor using products that don’t pass the test of any self-proclaimed expert or blogger. The expectation to abide by the rules and regulations of the looming natural hair taskforce is unfair and counterproductive. Curly criticism is no more appealing to potential naturals than the hell-bound huffing of a pastor is to a so-called sinner.
    Last edited by Moderator T; 06-21-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL. As I always tell people when they ask me about natural hair and the "elitist" foolishness that goes on:

"It's easy when we let each other and ourselves be. It only gets "difficult" when we start holding our hair against the yardstick of another person's standards and force it to do things it's not meant to do."

I'm also of the belief and impression that a lot of hair blogs/bloggers are fairly...deceptive, in that they only show their hair when it's "done" and not in its unstyled state, bare bones, minimal-to-NO product state where their true texture/curl pattern can be seen for what it is. Which in my opinion, has led to a good bulk of the "in-fighting" within the natural hair collective. People who engage in it almost always hold their hair to standards that aren't entirely their own and are based on purely on the end result, not the process that led to it.

BUT, I'll just stop here because the dead horse has been beaten enough. The sooner we let each other's hairbe, the less pissing and b*tching about other people's hair will take place.

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read that original CN article with Solange and for her to say that she doesn't know the lingo she used a lot of it during that interview, LOL.

I do agree with her about not being the natural hair VP. Folks with natural hair see some celeb with natural hair and start acting like these celebs owe them something. I've never understood it.
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bhop13 View Post
    I read that original CN article with Solange and for her to say that she doesn't know the lingo she used a lot of it during that interview, LOL.

I do agree with her about not being the natural hair VP
    . Folks with natural hair see some celeb with natural hair and start acting like these celebs owe them something. I've never understood it.
    VP = vice president, yes? Solange couldn't even put herself in the running for natural hair PRESIDENT? Wowwwwww....

There were some useful comments in response to the Ebony article. I'm sure that I was one of those who proselytized the "holiness" of wearing one's natural hair during and after my "conversion", a point noted among the comments. I didn't consider myself elitist; I was simply sharing the joy of the enlightenment and my "concern" when I see little girls who have been "assaulted" by the CFC....

I think when we recognize the pattern of "assault" that we pass on to our daughters, sisters, nieces, play cousins, etc. when it comes to our hair, that's when the painful yet necessary conversation will begin.
    Thank you, Fairy PANKmommy!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikalia42 View Post
    "It's easy when we let each other and ourselves be. It only gets "difficult" when we start holding our hair against the yardstick of another person's standards and force it to do things it's not meant to do.".
    Yep! I was just saying something very similar to this on yesterday.

Folks with natural hair see some celeb with natural hair and start acting like these celebs owe them something. I've never understood it.
    I totally agree with you!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do agree with her about not being the natural hair VP. Folks with natural hair see some celeb with natural hair and start acting like these celebs owe them something. I've never understood it.
    Totally agree with the bolded. These are also the same people who give those celebs shyte (as well as others) if they change their hair in the slightest way. It's like what authority do these people have over another person's head for them to feel that they're owed "something", and what ARE they owed? A cookie and a pat on the head for being the follicular version of the Thought Police? Please.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by newlife2169 View Post
    VP = vice president, yes? Solange couldn't even put herself in the running for natural hair PRESIDENT? Wowwwwww....

There were some useful comments in response to the Ebony article. I'm sure that I was one of those who proselytized the "holiness" of wearing one's natural hair during and after my "conversion", a point noted among the comments. I didn't consider myself elitist; I was simply sharing the joy of the enlightenment and my "concern" when I see little girls who have been "assaulted" by the CFC...

I think when we recognize the pattern of "assault" that we pass on to our daughters, sisters, nieces, play cousins, etc. when it comes to our hair, that's when the painful yet necessary conversation will begin.
    Yeah, I do agree with you that little girls do not need relaxers. In that way I am a natural hair "elitist." Adults can do whatever they want with themselves, but I feel strongly when they involve their kids in that as well. Sometimes I do feel like there is a problem when certain people who prefer their hair weaved up/relaxed/texturised etc. also think that their daughters NEED to have that same thing despite the dangers associated with using those practices on children. That's when I think it has crossed the line past "preference" and into some sort of conditioning...
    Last edited by Moderator T; 06-21-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a natural hair elitist *shrug*. Most people are judgey about something, this is mine. (No, I'm not stank about it verbally or through body language.)
    The search function (located above in the links with "User CP") will provide you with a wealth of knowledge, advice, thought-provoking ideas, and hilarity. Check it out!

Last Chemical Fire Cream: February 2001 * Transition Style: Extension braids * BC: November 2001 * Joined Nappturality: December 2002 * Characteristics: mostly coils and undefined naps with patches of straight hair and curls; fine; thin-ish; highly porous; shrinky!

9. Thanks cutenappygrl thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've discovered the best way not to cast your elitist criticisms is not to ask others what they put on their hair or, better yet, don't engage in the hair convo at all. I nearly died when a fellow lockhead told me he gets his hair washed once a month & his scalp greased. WHAT?? Ew! Back in the day I'da let have allll my opinion on that craziness. Know what tho? They were the most beautiful locs I've ever seen. It apparently works for him. I simply went home & washed my locs to get rid of the mental heebie jeebies.

Ooooh, you got a lank?

Quote Originally Posted by alethean View Post
    That's when I think it has crossed the line past "preference" and into some sort of conditioning...
    Perfectly said. I'll have to find occasion to use this sentence..

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
    I'm a natural hair elitist *shrug*. Most people are judgey about something, this is mine. (No, I'm not stank about it verbally or through body language.)
    This thread got me thinking, and I've decided that I, too, am somewhat of an elitist when it comes to natural hair. I do think that the choice to wear my hair in its natural afro-textured state is superior to the choice to melt away all the kinks and coils that God never intended to lay straight. I also tend to react negatively to naturals who promote doing things to natural hair for the sole purpose of looking less nappy, and who make negative statements about other naturals needing to do "something" to their hair to make it look less nappy. Plus, I'm not about to say I "love" any Black hair that is relaxed or straightened to look "silky" (like the writer of the linked article said towards the end). So I guess in that way I also have some elitist views. I realize, however, that these are MY perceptions, and I don't proselytize others (unless directly or indirectly asked to .

But in the specific context of this thread, I guess I'm not an elitist in the sense that I don't think that my way of caring for and styling my natural hair is better than any other natural's. I love the diversity of our people, our hair, and the many ways we can care for and style our kinky strands without altering their structural bonds. No way am I going to frown upon someone's choice to use the same methods to care for their natural hair that a lot of our mothers/grandmothers used - especially if those methods are working for them. I sure do love dialoguing with napturals whose views are similar to mine, though!!
    Last edited by CCmomof5; 06-16-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast