Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Total confusion... unraveling baby locs

Hello everyone. Ok so I've had 2st baby locs in for about 2 months and I am a Diy... now everybody is saying that your hair is supposed to be twisted clockwise (to the right) and mine are to the right but for some reason when I twist it to the right it unravels very quickly and seems to want to twist to counter clockwise. Is the unraveling at the roots normal or should I just go ahead and twist to the left instead.

also I hear that if your loose hair does not have a definite curl pattern like 3c 4a then it could unravel at the roots is this true my hair is thick and super kinky with little to no definite curl pattern in some areas. I'm just so confused I thought the nappier the better for locs. I don't understand how to get those perfectly cylindrical locs if my hair can't stay twisted but for a couple of days.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you palmrolled and or did a simply one strand twist to form your locs then yes, unravelling is to be expected, especially after you've washed them. But that is true even of TST and braidlocs only they take longer to unravel.

The locking process takes a few months, for some, their locs are not fully formed even after a couple of yearsy. You are probably at what some of us call the "ugly" stage, when your locs unraval, puff up and generally look a mess while the magic happens. Eventually you will get locs. I can understand your frustration, I was like you with my first set, knowing that I had to go through that stage is what allowed me to be non plussed when I did my current set. It was over before I knew it .
    Last edited by Karibana; 06-21-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karibana View Post
    If you palmrolled and or did a simply one strand twist to form your locs then yes, unravelling is to be expected, especially after you've washed them. But that is true even of TST and braidlocs only they take longer to unravel.

The locking process takes a few months, for some, their locs are not fully formed even after a couple of yearsy. You are probably at was some of us call the "ugly" stage, when your locs unraval, puff up and generally look a mess while the magic happens. Eventually you will get locs. I can understand your frustration, I was like you with my first set, knowing that I had to go through that stage is what allowed me to be non plussed when I did my current set. It was over before I knew it .
    The bolded is EXACTLY what's going on with my 8-month-old sisterlocs now. Some of them seem to slip very easily. What do I do during this stage?
    Thank you, Fairy PANKmommy!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Honnestly? Accept it if you can, wear hats or scarves if you can't.

To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karibana View Post
    ^Honnestly? Accept it if you can, wear hats or scarves if you can't.
    Yes, it was an honest question asked from a purely inquisitive place. I wondered if there was a way to either speed up the locing process or if I was (or was not) doing something with regard to regular maintenance, e.g., washing, oiling, etc., that might not be useful. It wasn't a question about acceptance.
    Thank you, Fairy PANKmommy!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I wasn't being dismissive, only being realistic, we all have to go through that period only it's harder for some of us especially if that phase lasts longer then a few months.

You can't really speed up the process, but you can look into the products you use and see if you use any that make your hair slippery. I stopped using conditioners when I realized it was preventing my looser hair from locking. Otherwise manipulating and wetting the hair, as in washes for example, helps the locking process along. If you have SLs maybe you need to see your technician and ask her for advice about your locs.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I am definitely in that ugly stage. I have the little hair balls hanging off the ends the fuzziness and everything. I think it's making good progress. I guess just have to deal with this as well. Thanks for the advice!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I am definitely in that ugly phase right now. I am just trying to accept it and wear cute clips.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off Topic:

Those that feel like they're in the "ugly" stage, please take some pics of this phase. I almost guarantee you that you'll look back at them later on in your journey and see how beautiful you looked. IDK, it could be me since I think that stage is absolutely gorgeous.
    Stand For Something, or You'll Fall For Anything
    BC 5/23/09
    loc journey 9/6/10

http://members.fotki.com/Chocodoll/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^To add to that, i suggest that everyone who thinks they are in the "ugly stage", or who feels like their locs are the only locs in the world that have tried to unravel, to check out the comparison pic threads. Everyone went through variations of that stage, and they came out on the other side ok with gorgeous sets of locs.

Just hang in there, yall. Don't expect it to look topnotch and together and perfect at all times in that first year. Dare i say, most of the time it's going to be looking pretty messy for the first year or so. It gets better. Promise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast