Himmy is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use spring water. I add the sweet almond oil, because my hair needs oil and water, and since sweet almond oil has the vitamin E in it...it kills two birds with one stone (oil and preservative). If you're really worried, make small amounts...or you can always put your mixture in the frig. I did that for a while. I didn't mind the spritz being cold, but since I was adding coconut oil in it as well, the coconut oil was solidifying and it was causing more trouble than it was worth. I think a lot of what we naturals do is about trial and error. I know that can get a bit expensive some times. Just keep in mind, if you don't add a preservative your environment may determine how long your mixture last (summer time, air condition, lack of air condition, etc.).
    Thank you, Jah!!!! Thank you!!!!

I updated my picture album here on NP ya'll. Year 4! What a blessing to be a loc sistah!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Refrigeration is your best friend. I had a gallon for almost a year that I just finally finished. The next gallon should go quicker now that I've discovered the joys of pure, undiluted aloe vera juice/gel combo with the added benefits of eo's.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by naturalbeauty898 View Post
    Oh okay, thanks ladies! Do I have to mix is with distilled water? And do I have to put a preservative in it?
    I've used plain tap water before, so you don't have to use distilled - I just prefer to use distilled so the hard water we have where I live doesn't take away from the softening effects of the AVJ. And I don't think you have to add a preservative, I do it so that my mixture can stay good for as long as possible without having to be refrigerated.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CCmomof5 View Post
    I've used plain tap water before, so you don't have to use distilled - I just prefer to use distilled so the hard water we have where I live doesn't take away from the softening effects of the AVJ. And I don't think you have to add a preservative, I do it so that my mixture can stay good for as long as possible without having to be refrigerated.
    @ the bolded: This is the reason I also use distilled water. I don't mix large batches of spritz, so I don't add a preservative either.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Same with me. I don't use tap water for the same reason...that and the chemicals that they add to tap water is YUCKY!

I updated my picture album here on NP ya'll. Year 4! What a blessing to be a loc sistah!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OHR View Post
    *open fridge, then looks at FOTE avj for expiration date* My bottle of AVJ hasn't expired...I bought this in 2011 and the 'best by' date is Feb. 2013. Check for the best buy date and you should be just fine, OP.
    Not to start another AVG war but I've noticed a difference in the FOTE brand and the LOTD brand . The FOTE has a preservative and I didn't refrigerate it at all and I didn't have any problems. When I switched to LOTD my spritz soured (I made too big of a batch) and I had to keep the actual gel in the fridge.
    Last hit of creamy crack: 11/24/09
    BC: 10/26/2010
    Staples: Shealoe, EVOO, CO, Jojoba oil, HE HH, Avg

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MissChelle View Post
    Not to start another AVG war but I've noticed a difference in the FOTE brand and the LOTD brand . The FOTE has a preservative and I didn't refrigerate it at all and I didn't have any problems. When I switched to LOTD my spritz soured (I made too big of a batch) and I had to keep the actual gel in the fridge.
    Yeah, sis...I think you really have to take a look at the ingredients. I use a brand (name slips my mind) that I get from my health food store. It doesn't contain a preservative, so I must keep mine refrigerated (that goes for my gel as well). Once I mix it and add the sweet almond oil though...it appears to do just fine. If it contains a preservative, you may not have to put it in the frig. at all. *shrugging shoulders*

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I guess I'm the only one using shelf-stable AVJ, huh?

http://www.vitacost.com/georges-aloe-vera

Seems to work just fine on my hair...
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK I think I got it. I think I may try out the LOTD brand because I am a little funny with preservatives already in something (unless I make something with those myself). But wow some of these things are so costly... I thought going natural and having natural products would be cheaper than having a relaxer and all the commercial products but I am now thinking they are about the same (in my case)! LOL Since I am 19 and in college, I can't afford all of this. I have hard water at my mother's home but at my dad's he has soft water, so I will use that! Is distilled better than soft water??

But yes, I will try a few things. I will use the LOTD brand of AVJ and soft water and may mix lavender oil and use jojoba oil for sealing. Thanks guys

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Lbellatrix I haven't heard about that brand. I looked it up and it said it was fractionally distilled. Have you noticed any differences between that brand and the others?

OP don't be discouraged thinking that being natural is expensive. IMO I think it's helpful to be a product junkie in the beginning to find out what their hair likes. Once you find those products it gets simpler. And not everyone needs to use 50-11 producs. Water (free), conditioner, and oil can go a long way.
    Last hit of creamy crack: 11/24/09
    BC: 10/26/2010
    Staples: Shealoe, EVOO, CO, Jojoba oil, HE HH, Avg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast