Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by au napptural View Post
    I'm not a Muslimah or a Christian, but I've always wanted to observe Ramadan. I feel food has too much power in everyday life, esp. in America, and I would like to give over that addiction to food and cleanse spiritually. So when does Ramadan start this year? Any tips?

Also, I've read people also abstain from sex for Ramadan. Does this mean all physical contact?
    jump in and try it. you've definitely got a couple of days left your body is capable of a lot more than you'd imagine; when you push it beyond what you thought were its limits, you actually find an ease and a joy in what it is capable of.
    you even get past feeling hungry.

yes, you feel a great sense of freedom when you fast. you are no longer at the mercy of your (very natural ) physical desires.
    once you realize you can resist even the most basic instinct (eating, drinking) you realize you are a very powerful person, who can resist other kinds of negative impulses in your life that seem, when they come up, to be so natural as to be irresistable, but if the impulse to eat can be resisted, then so can anything.

so it is empowering and that feeling of empowerment lasts way beyond the actual moments of fasting. it remains with you and you have it in your backpocket, like a reminder of your own beautiful strength and ability to overcome.
    this way you can resist the drives towards other things that you know have a negative impact on your life....and you can tranform into a person who takes control, rather than one who is controlled by her drives or by every whim that comes over her.

like you said, that sense of people taking of advantage of self control is not something emphasized in our north american culture

don't be afraid of it. embrace it.

2. Likes ValleyOfDecision liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
    jump in and try it. you've definitely got a couple of days left your body is capable of a lot more than you'd imagine; when you push it beyond what you thought were its limits, you actually find an ease and a joy in what it is capable of.
    you even get past feeling hungry.

yes, you feel a great sense of freedom when you fast. you are no longer at the mercy of your (very natural ) physical desires.
    once you realize you can resist even the most basic instinct (eating, drinking) you realize you are a very powerful person, who can resist other kinds of negative impulses in your life that seem, when they come up, to be so natural as to be irresistable, but if the impulse to eat can be resisted, then so can anything.

so it is empowering and that feeling of empowerment lasts way beyond the actual moments of fasting. it remains with you and you have it in your backpocket, like a reminder of your own beautiful strength and ability to overcome.
    this way you can resist the drives towards other things that you know have a negative impact on your life....and you can tranform into a person who takes control, rather than one who is controlled by her drives or by every whim that comes over her.

like you said, that sense of people taking of advantage of self control is not something emphasized in our north american culture

don't be afraid of it. embrace it.
    "LIKE" Lol...I'm addicted to facebook so I had to like your comment!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ramadan went by so fast! Have a blessed Eid everyone

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eid Mubarak underthehood! I've really enjoyed your Ramadan posts...:-)

Living abroad? Thinking of moving, or just moved back? Check out the Expat Nappies group!

Don't forget to THANK PANK!

6. Thanks underthehood thanked for this post
    Likes underthehood liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks tjolims Glad you enjoyed!

God bless,
    uth

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know Ramadan is over, but I really enjoyed reading this thread! I hope there's a renewal for 2013. Blessings to all the Muslim sisters on the boards!
    "If there is a book you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." -- Toni Morrison

9. Thanks underthehood thanked for this post
    Likes underthehood, ValleyOfDecision liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ramadan 2013/1434 is around the corner!!!

Thought I would bump this post up instead of making another one. Feel free to start posting!

11. Likes ValleyOfDecision liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I'm fasting with friends, and trying to take this as an opportunity to be more disciplined and grateful as a person.... I'm not feeling well and the fasting isn't helping but I'm determined to keep my word and fast the entire month.

13. Likes underthehood liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bumpidy bump...

Salaam y'all and a belated Happy Ramadan 2014/1435! I pray everyone's days of fasting and nights of prayer have been full of His Light and Tranquility!

For this year's "gem" I thought I'd post something a little different: some traditional anasheed (song/spirituals)!

The first is called يا مرحباً بك يا رمضان "Welcome Oh Ramadan!" https://soundcloud.com/hanady-awakening/yj7fne7iwhek

The second is called قد كفاني علم ربي "My Lord's Knowledge Suffices Me" https://soundcloud.com/ascetickhan/q...ani-my-lord-is
    You can find the entire translation of this nasheed on the page

And of course leaving my fav style of nasheed for last, a traditional north-African Muslim spiritual (It has a super-distinct sound, I grew up listening to this style and find it super comforting but not sure how others might perceive it!).
    This one's called احمد ياحبيبي "Ahmad, My Beloved" (Ahmad is another name of the Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him). The line "Salam Aleyk" means "peace be upon you (i.e. the Prophet)"

(if this last style isn't for you, here's the same nasheed sung by a Malaysian group!
    )

p.s just realized none of the anasheed were in English, here's a (mostly) English one! "Ramadan" https://soundcloud.com/moh-mmed-ali-...r-zain-ramadan
    Last edited by underthehood; 07-09-2014 at 03:05 PM.
    ----------It is not the eyes that are blind, but the hearts - Quran 22:46 ----------
    ╔═══╗
    ║███║ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    ║ (o) Now Playing: Confessions of a Long Hair Diva
    ╚═══╝

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not Muslim, but I have dear friends who are. I admire their practice of Islam, and they're wonderful to me, kind, giving, and loving year-round. (They've also invited me over for Eid a couple times, which is a bonus.)

Ramadan Mubarak. Ramadan Kareem.
    "The backlash against bone-straight hair can't come quickly enough: I like my hair with its Afro personality intact." --Hannah Pool, journalist

16. Thanks underthehood thanked for this post
    Likes underthehood liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast