Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gems of Ramadan

Bismillahi ArraHmani Arraheem With the Name of God the most Gracious the Most Merciful

Here goes, my last attempt to start a thread in this section of the forum without having it die an untimely death (zero responses lol). I'd consider myself a religious/spiritual Muslim, so all of my posts here have come from that background. Either there aren't that many active Muslims on this form or my particular spiritual interests are only interesting to me lol.

Nuff about that. Gems of Ramadan is all about sharing our positive (pre)Ramadan experiences/tips/verses of the Quran/sayings of the Prophet (peace be upon him) any "gems" with everyone here and hopefully benefiting others in the process

Rules: read the rules pinned by Dee at the top. Extention i'd like to add is if you have a general issue with Islam/Muslims, this thread isn't the place for it. I don't ask for anything more. If you think you have a question on Islam/Muslims that you're afraid will be categorized as "baiting" by the mods feel free to PM me. Even if it is baiting My faith rides on reason and I'd be more than willing to have a respectful dialogue, even if neither of us change our minds at the end, as long as we learn from it.

This 2nd rule is directed at Muslims. If you' choose to write something that is in Arabic (e.g. Jazakillahu Khair or a verse from the Quran) please offer a translation in English the first time you use it in your post (God bless you in the case of Jazakillahu Khair). Less than 20% of Muslims are Arabs.I do not in any way disregard things like the final revelation being in Arabic. However, Islam is a Mercy to all mankind (and yes, today's Muslims should be doing a lot more to reflect that truth). I ask that you make this thread accessible by limiting its "arabicization". - Thanks!

I'll start by saying that Ramadan is the name of a month in the Islamic lunar calandar in which we believe all the revelations of God began (the Torah, Gospels, Psalms and the Quran for example). In this month we fast from food, drink, sex... from sun-rise to sun-down. For Muslims it's a time for spiritual re-charging and re-commitment. But y'all already knew that right?

( I got this amazing list as an email - so I can't take credit):

Pre- Ramadan Check List:
    1) Buy Eid Clothes (Eid = festival, refers to an Islamic holiday)
    2) Prayer Clothes (Buy/ make new ones or wash, iron and perfume existing ones)
    3) Prayer Place (Dedicate a space in your home for your daily worship - clean, tahhir (ritually pure)and perfume it, and stock it up with all you need for your ibadah(worship of God)
    4) Menu! (Plan meals, whose turn it is to cook, and who you will be doing iftar (the meal one breaks their fast on) for on different days) Write up a menu of easy simple liked-by-your-family dishes. If you have little ones fasting take their opinion or likes into
    consideration.
    5) Ibadah schedule/ targets (plan your khitmas(completing a recitation of the whole Quran), your qada (making up for unexcused, missed salah (obligatory prayers)), your daily schedule - plan how to fit it in, so that you will fit it in.
    6) Du’a (prayer/supplication) List (make a list of who you need to make du’a for during the month so during those busy days you don’t forget any one)
    7) Donation preparation - prepare the stuff you will donate - dig it out of your closets and basements and attics
    . Do your Eid shopping or most of it now. What a waste to spend precious time in Ramadan buying clothes and gifts. Sometimes the last third of Ramadan and the most special third is so spent.
    9). If you are working on a khitmeh finish quickly so you can start
    afresh in Ramadan.
    10). Tie up loose ends socially. Make up with those you are not
    speaking to. Get on the good side of parents, kids, in laws and husband.
    11) Start cutting down on coffee if you are a heavy drinker.
    12). Prepare children, discuss Ramadan routine with family, discuss
    excitement and looking foreward to Ramadan with those younger people
    you see.
    13) Ramadan-clean your house
    * Visit your closets and linen closets for what needs to be given
    away and store and give away in the first week of Ramadan to get extra
    reward.
    * Wash all your windows and curtains.
    * Put all your bookcases in dustless order.
    * Go through your kitchen cupboards organizing and cleaning.
    * Get rid of stuff, anything that won't contribute to a peaceful
    Ramadan.
    * Put half of the children's toys away to rotate and to make the
    house easier to pick up.
    * Wash your carpets and floors
    * Fix what needs fixing.
    *make your house welcoming to the Angels and inspiring to the human servants of Allah (God)!

14). Plan your invitations (family, friends, inlaws) and send out the invites. Do it in the first two thirds - preferably when you don't have prayer and make it clear that you will not be accepting any invitations the last third.
    15) return all the items in your home that don't belong to you, they are an amanah(trust)

2. Thanks IvonNappy, tolly thanked for this post
    Likes fuschiagroan, Laniza liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Salaam Alaikum ( Peace be upon you)

Fabulous list sis!!! Thanks for starting this thread! I have a lot of work to do!!

Starting a workout routine before Ramadan is also a good idea. 30 minutes a day...walking or a light jog. Just something to get your blood pumping so you can be in better physical shape to fast.

Decorate the house(if you decorate)before Ramadan so you can spend more time in worship. I usually make the decorations with my girls, but that was So MUCH work last year.I'm thinking about buying some this year. I need to look around.

One of my fav hadiths on Ramadan::::
    Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah’s Apostle said, “When the month of Ramadan starts, the gates of the heaven are opened and the gates of Hell are closed and the devils are chained.”
    Who doesn't love a WHOLE month where the gates of heaven are open?! I know I do!! I'm so excited for Ramadan!! InshaAllah we all benefit greatly from it!!

4. Thanks underthehood thanked for this post
    Likes underthehood liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wa Aleykum Assalam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatu (And peace and blessings and mercy of God be upon you too Beloved2Him - wow it sounds so much longer in English lol

Wondering where all my other Muslimahs are at?!? Ramadan is 5 days away can't wait!!!!

*first time I post a pic like this - hope I did it right!!*

For more dope paintings like this check out sister Nia Prima's work: http://niaprima.com/?p=42

Sorry I loved this paintin soooo much I had to post it as well:

Bumpin bumpity bump....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RAMADAN MUBARAK!!! (BLESSED RAMADAN) Whether you started fasting today or tomorrow, I pray everyone gets the full benefits of this blessed month!! Where is everybody else at? LOL

Beautiful pics! I see a lot of sisters with these on FB. I want one done!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blessed Ramadan to you too and everyone else on the boards!

Ameen! aka Amen!

May our intentions be pure and may our good deeds be accepted. May God shower us with His Mercy this month and help us grow, becoming better children, parents, friends, students, teachers, sisters, brothers, neighbours ... Oh Lord, let us grow in faith to be the best people we can be!

And let us not forget our sisters and brothers around the world who are experiencing trying times.

And when My servants ask you, [O Muhammad], concerning Me - indeed I am near. I respond to the invocation of the supplicant when he calls upon Me. So let them respond to Me [by obedience] and believe in Me that they may be [rightly] guided. (Quran 2:186)

The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) said: "Ramadan has come to you. (It is) a month of blessing, in which Allah covers you with blessing, for He sends down Mercy, decreases sins and answers prayers. In it, Allah looks at your competition (in good deeds), and boasts about you to His angels. So show Allah goodness from yourselves, for the unfortunate one is he who is deprived in (this month) of the mercy of Allah, the Mighty, the Exalted."

Your sister,
    uth

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Say, "O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of God. Indeed, God forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful." (Quran 39:53)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a (Christian) gem of Ramadan: http://newmethofesto.com/2012/07/20/...rving-ramadan/

"“Ramadan is a fast of the body, of course,” he said. “But even more importantly, it’s a fast of the hands and feet and eyes, and finally, of the mind. It’s a time to become very aware of God and to be completely obedient.”

I am intrigued by the fact that “Islam” means “submission,” and that, fundamentally, the Islamic faith is an attempt to practice submission to God’s will on a daily basis. This is not a foreign idea to Christians – this was Jesus’ stated approach, as well. He famously said, in the Garden of Gethsemane, “Not my will, but yours be done.” He also once said that whoever did the will of his Father in heaven, were his brother and sister and mother.

The core of both Islamic and Christian faith is the quest to know, and to live within, the will of the one God."

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a Muslimah or a Christian, but I've always wanted to observe Ramadan. I feel food has too much power in everyday life, esp. in America, and I would like to give over that addiction to food and cleanse spiritually. So when does Ramadan start this year? Any tips?

Also, I've read people also abstain from sex for Ramadan. Does this mean all physical contact?
    ~Sanity is Subversive~

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities~ Voltaire

11. Thanks underthehood thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ramadan started July 20th. It ends next week, saturday or sunday. We get up at dawn before the sunrise and eat breakfast. No food, water, or sex until after sunset. You can hug and give little pecks, but any sexual contact isn't allowed while fasting, but after you break your fast you're good to go! Lol. The real purpose of fasting isn't really about the food...it is, but it isn't. The purpose of the month is to get closer to God and to reform any bad habits you may have. The no food aspect is to help us see what people who are starving are going through. To help us get a better understanding of their struggle and to be grateful for all we have. One of the main things during this month is to give. The more you give the better. Charity is one of the 5 pillars of Islam, so it's greatly emphasized during this month We also abstain from talking about people, cursing, slandering anyone's character, lying, any bad habits really. It's all about purification of the soul. The nights are very special during Ramadan and hold the most holy hours, so we stay up a good portion of the night and pray, read Qu'ran, and pray some more.

If you do decide to fast I would recommend eating a light, but filling meal in the morning and NOT thinking about food! The first day will probably be hard, especially if you've never fasted before, but the next days after will get easier. When you break you're fast I would suggest eating very lightly at first. Water, a date, or milk. They help expand the stomach slowly so start with that and then go for a regular meal, otherwise you will hurt yourself. Trust me, I know from experience! Lol. A lot of my non-Muslim friends fasted during Ramadan and they loved it. Let me know if ou have an other questions.

13. Likes underthehood, ValleyOfDecision liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
    Say, "O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of God. Indeed, God forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful." (Quran 39:53)
    Just read this Surah the other day and I've always loved this verse! Thanks for posting this sis!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast