Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Neon + Dark Skin

*photo grabbed from StylePantry*

*sigh*
    I'm gunna be transparent here and say that i still have [childhood] issues of my dark skin and certain colors. I won't and don't wear white, blue, green, and purple cuz they make me look "darker" so speak. Then with me being a large-bodied person I won't wear full body bright colors cuz i feel like i look like a giant skittle/highlighter and draw negative hyper-visibility to myself. Unfortunately I don't wear these colors because at some point in my life I got dogged about it and didn't like how it looked on me in photos either.

With THAT said, Neon is the trend now and I'm trying to get back into wearing colors again (not all black head to toe). I wanna rock neon in bits and pieces, however i feel indifferent on how it looks against dark skin.

I saw the above photo of Folake rockin' it on my pinterest and felt like it was sorta cute on her, but i'm unsure if it really works for us. I hate feeling like lighter skint folks have advantages when it comes to colors compared to me.

Why am I sharing all of this? For motivation maybe? Or for opinions (which I'm gunna have to mentally prepare myself for).

What say you? Yay or Nay?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HELL YAY!

I'm not a big fan of ha nail polish color though, but the dress color makes her skin look amazing.

anyway i'm not dark skinned or light skinned, more medium skinned. i've lost a fair amount of weight and it's time to start dress shopping, i'm slowly phasing out most of the dark colored stuff in my closet. i'll get a couple of black or grey dresses, but behind that screw that crap. life is depressing enough as it is, i want to look like a i fell into candy dye

anyway KB rock that neon

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My issue with neon was class-based- I was taught wearing those brights was ghetto. But I'm going to rock my (yay!) APL hair with a hot pink dress, fishnets, and blue suede pumps soon. Who's bad ?
    ~Sanity is Subversive~

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities~ Voltaire

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to have a near pitch black coworker when I worked in a department store. The neon trend was in back then and we all laughed at a neon pink jacket she had in her hands. When she put it on we all stopped laughing because it actually suited her. Learned a lesson that day, dark skinned girls and guys can wear strong/neon colours and I love wearing white. I love taking advantage that partly to piss off my pale skinned coworkers and friends LOL.

I usually avoid head to toe dark colours because I feel I look like Darth Vador, especially in navy blue or black, sucking up all light around me.

Anyway I say go for the bright colours girl. It will look good on you, the only negative voice you'll hear about what you're wearing will be the one in your head.
    Last edited by Karibana; 07-24-2012 at 02:41 AM.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KB, there are so many cool ways to wear neon...you betta go 'head and do it!
    by the way, I love the silver accessories the model has in the picture. I wish more black folks wore silver...I wear silver jewelry every chance I get.

6. Likes Ororo liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Brits rock the hayell out of some neon and I'd love to jump in the trend. The reason I haven't is because I don't think I'm dark enough! I think it looks fierce and compliments a deep dark chocolate skin tone.

Living abroad? Thinking of moving, or just moved back? Check out the Expat Nappies group!

Don't forget to THANK PANK!

8. Thanks kurliehead thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to have issues when younger with dark skin and bright colours, most of my wardrobe was black and navy blue till I decided if I did not lurve my dark self no one else is obligated to. Rock those neon colours KB and if you look darker so what - no need to apologise that others lack melanin and you don't lol Whoever wants to make it an issue let them kiss your dark butt!
    Last edited by Denny; 07-24-2012 at 10:26 AM.
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

10. Likes bigpuff 02 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw this today and I LOVED it! I thought her dark skin looked beautiful with the neon!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love it!!!!! My sistas be rockin' it!!!
    The decisions you make in life can be detrimental if not chosen correctly.
    ~KellyVonn~
    Patience is key !

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast