Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry you still have these issues KB. If you choose to have children in the future and they look just like you I hope they do not suffer from your mindset with unconscious projection on your part. We can say you look great as much as we like and you do btw, but until you accept this for yourself your issues with darkness will remain. I was once in your shoes when a lot younger until I had my light bulb moment to stop treating my skin shade like a mistake of Mother Nature or a disease, no matter the opinion of ignorant others (they will always exist).
    I agree with Soul, experiment with different colours and see what works rather than have a blanket ban attitude to neon.
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    In grade school. I wore an orange dress and this guy in class said that i looked like a giant skittle and another time I was told that i look like a giant highlighter.
    I noticed you referred to this as a "childhood issue." Sounds like you're allowing it to be an "adulthood issue." Please don't let non-existent children control your life. Those children have grown up and have forgotten about those words they carelessly tossed out. Yet you've chosen to play that tape in your mind over and over again for years. I'm sorry you had that experience. You also have the power to stop playing that tape.

I think the model in the photo looks nice with the bright color. Wear what you want to wear.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    Sorry you still have these issues KB. If you choose to have children in the future and they look just like you I hope they do not suffer from your mindset with unconscious projection on your part. We can say you look great as much as we like and you do btw, but until you accept this for yourself your issues with darkness will remain. I was once in your shoes when a lot younger until I had my light bulb moment to stop treating my skin shade like a mistake of Mother Nature or a disease, no matter the opinion of ignorant others (they will always exist).
    I agree with Soul, experiment with different colours and see what works rather than have a blanket ban attitude to neon.

You and the world should be happy to know that I have absolutely NO desire to have kids . Also I don't project my insecurities onto other people young nor old.

If I never shared my story, you wouldn't have ever known that this is how I sometimes feel when it comes to my body. Into my adulthood, I had to teach myself acceptance of my appearance and just like anything, some days are better than others. I will say that I DO enjoy looking at darkskint people and the smoothness of our skin whether it's family or strangers. So I KNOW there's beauty in it however I'm human with insecurities like everybody else.

4. Likes Ororo liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    I noticed you referred to this as a "childhood issue." Sounds like you're allowing it to be an "adulthood issue." Please don't let non-existent children control your life. Those children have grown up and have forgotten about those words they carelessly tossed out. Yet you've chosen to play that tape in your mind over and over again for years. I'm sorry you had that experience. You also have the power to stop playing that tape.
    I'm aware and you're right. For some reason, this year has been the season of me confronting and dealing with my childhood issues that I thought I was over, but obviously not cuz some shit still triggers me. However with me being honest about it and sharing it is my way of healing from it all as well. Thx!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mom was about the shade of the lady in the picture, and she loved bright colors. You would think that the time she came up in (40s and 50s) she would shy away from bright colors, but thank god she didn’t. Her favorite color – and my fave color on her – was hot pink/fuschia. So I say a big HAYELL YEAH to dark skin and bright/neon colors.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Neon + Dark Skin

Quote Originally Posted by OHR View Post
    KB, there are so many cool ways to wear neon...you betta go 'head and do it!
    by the way, I love the silver accessories the model has in the picture. I wish more black folks wore silver...I wear silver jewelry every chance I get.
    Such an old post, but I agree you, OHR. I always prefer silver jewelry for the way it pops against my skin. Wearing 8 or 10g barbells makes it eve more obvious, which I love.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Neon + Dark Skin

Bright colours are fabulous, especially in winter when everything is dull and grey. However I am saying, a big fat, NO to neon colours. I have yet to meet anyone, regardless of colour or skin tone, that really looks good in neons. I lived through the 80s, when people thought that they actually looked good in neon shellsuits, ski suits etc. The only allowance I will make is when running outside, on the road, in the dark. In other words when it comes to safety, feel free to wear as much neon as you like.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234