Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gardening Season is here! Volume IV

Hey Yall!
    Empowered--How are your plants coming along? Are the bugs eating your turnip greens? Ughh!Are you using anything to prevent these critters from attacking?

Lock--The spinach is really slow but they did pop up. I moved them to the side for more light.

OHR--Did you start fall planting yet? Glad your tomato plants are doing well. Mine are doing pretty good too.

I noticed this morning some of my larger green tomatoes were removed and I don't think an animal did it. I am 6ft tall and the plant is almost eye level to me... the tomatoes were high up on the vine. So.. I'm pissed. Anyways.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey everybody! Just popping in to see what chall growing.....

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by creativity View Post
    OHR--Did you start fall planting yet? Glad your tomato plants are doing well. Mine are doing pretty good too.
    I planted my seeds just today in peat pots...mustards, cilantro, basil and lettuce. *crosses fingers*

Quote Originally Posted by creativity View Post
    I noticed this morning some of my larger green tomatoes were removed and I don't think an animal did it. I am 6ft tall and the plant is almost eye level to me... the tomatoes were high up on the vine. So.. I'm pissed. Anyways.
    Dang. you think it was some neighbor kids?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockolatte View Post
    Hey everybody! Just popping in to see what chall growing.....
    ^see above! My bell pepper plants are still going strong. They aren't as big as the supermarket ones, but they are big enough...still have tomatoes growing...

4. Thanks Lockolatte thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good for you OHR! I don't really know. I have a feeling it was a person but its all good. I was really mad at first but I guess that is what happens when you garden.

I have a few seedling starts of broccoli and brussel sprouts (inserted). I am trying to nurse them to a nice size before I put out in the raised bed I made. I know the worms and bugs and waiting for me to put them out. Alot of my kale and turnips have been eaten by bugs so I started more and neem sprayed. I also started a container of romaine and onions. Its been fun learning.

Name:  120902_0001.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  25.3 KB

6. Thanks Lockolatte thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't that just burn you up, Creativity? Last summer someone stole all our canteloupes from the vine. My feelings are still hurt.

Food prices jumped 10% from June to July due to drought. Every one who can should be growing what they can.

8. Thanks Lockolatte thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes Ma'am it sure does. I am sorry what happened to you too. Especially for cataloupes. You put all that time and effort into growing and someone just comes out and takes them? And what makes it worse is that they are probably not even ripe yet so they go to waste.

You are so right Chandra.I know I have saved alot of money just on my tomatoes alone. One seed/one plant can yield lots of food for you. I will continue to garden as long as I can. Also if you want to try some heirloom varieties Baker Creek seeds has a great selection.

Btw.. what are you growing?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yesterday (yep, played hookey from work so I could go to the garden center) I picked up two green cabbage plants, one romaine lettuce plant and one broccoli. I want to plant some carrots, spinach and fennel as well.

Picked up a book that tells me how to store cool weather crops outside the fridge, so I'm going ot give that a shot this winter and I'm going to finally start my compost bin.

I'm thinking next year I'm going to put vegetable plants (things like cabbages, etc,) in my front yard as my landscaping plants, most of them are beautiful when growing (like okra, which I actually won't eat)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey everyone! It has been a while...I've been extremely busy.

@creativity-turnip greens have been nibbled on a bit, but nothing drastic. I have actually been harvesting turnip and beet greens every week. However, something is tearing up my lettuce in one spot of the garden...not sure what it is yet. I may not even do anything about it only because the weather is getting cooler and the bugs are dying down. My carrots and broccoli are coming in nicely and I am still harvesting tomatoes. After I self-pollinated the zucchini, they started to fruit like crazy.

I am enjoying this lovely weather...can't wait for fall.
    Last edited by empowered; 09-13-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good going CHandra! Sometime you gotta play hookey for fun things! LOL! I've been getting gardening books from the library. It covers so much I don't want to give it back! I bet you if you tried fresh grown okra slightly sauteed you may like it. Its so much better than anything I've ever had. But yes, I would love to do the same thing in cleverly placing some kales or other hardy veggies in the front yard.

empowered--Maybe you can cover your lettuce w/some gardening wire? Its probably pesking squirrels. I know a guy who planted cabbage in a bed --went on vacation and the squirrels came out and ate it. He didn't realize squirrels did it until he waited one day at home and saw them.Whoever heard of squirrels eating green veggies?

Thats great about your carrots. I started some but some worm or bugs keeps eating the tops of my carrots and radishes. I mean what? The neem oil mix seems to help a bit with the bugs though but you have to keep spraying from time to time. I hope to get my broccoli and brussel sprout seedlings out in beds this weekend. I'm excited to see what happens. I have no idea what I'm doing yall. LOL.

Have fun!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello all,

Here's a quick update...remember the cucumber plants that I told you I had adopted? Well, when they did not vine I thought they were the bush type, but when the plants grew taller than my children, I thought "alrighty we have ourselves a mystery plant." I am only 5'2" and they are taller than I am. I began to believe that they were sunflowers because they are so tall. Then, cream and reddish flowers looked like they were going to bloom. Those just fell off and it left a green bud which began to grow. Well, to make a long story short, the plants are actually okra...Yep, I have okra folks and the largest one is huge. I have never seen okra so big! I will be sure to take pics and post them tomorrow. I am going to start harvesting today.

Question:

Does anyone have any good okra recipes?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast