Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope to make >$100,000 by the time I hit 40. That gives me 10yrs post MPA. I can make it happen.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't actually tried to make more...but in higher education administration (my current educational pursuit) and the right experience I can be there in five to seven years. I have to get going NOW though. A lot of my classmates want to be college presidents so they are going straight into a doctoral program when we are done in August. I'm toying with it but cannot find a program that focuses on what I want in the USA (Social Justice) other than UMass-Amherst and I am not moving to Massachusetts. I'm considering a doctorate in higher education with a cultural issues emphasis...I'd prefer Educational Research with the opportunity to extend my master research thesis.

I have no interest in a professorship...administrators can make more of an impact IMO although I would appreciate the autonomy of being a faculty member. I'm aiming for Director/Dean/VP positions within the next five years all of which can make over $100k depending on the institution size.
    Only a people who haven't learned how to respect themselves will let someone suggest or suggest themselves that they forget about their history. Dr. Frances Cress Welsing

3. Thanks Ororo thanked for this post
    Likes Mae liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beaka View Post
    This is a great thread. I'm not at $100K yet, but I plan to be in a few years. I work in public health at the federal level. I'm also in the process of converting to being an officer in the Public Health Service Corps. More money and retirement at 20 years. Plus, I plan to keep working at retirement. Also, I'm one of those folk who believe you can make good money at whatever you like to do if you're willing to hustle for it. I don't consider myself a money-hungry person, but I do want to build wealth. I worked to hard to be in the struggle.
    Hi! Yes, I have a number of co-workers who are part of the PHSC. I looked into it, but I am not really sure if its a good fit for me, especially since I don't have a public health background. I may want to switch out of public health and into a different field. Right now evaluation and performance management are hot in government, so I am building that skill set so that I can make moves further up the ladder when the time comes. I do love the perks of the Corps though...if I had started this path earlier in my career I would of looked into it. Actually, if I had known I was going to end up a fed, I would of joined the armed forces...so many great career opportunites, especially if you couple it with advanced degrees!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ayalyrik View Post
    It really depends. If your done with school in a year I hope you are in professional orgs for PR AND surrounding disciplines Try Black Public Relations Society (local and national) Join orgs that intersect with what topics in PR you are interested in. Join boards on LinkedIn, participate but READ, read everything. Read ad age and ad week DAILY. Are you in a strictly PR program at school or is it integrated. Learn all you can about digital, do as much extracurricular as you can. When there are events in your community or school write a press release. If you can get it used somewhere great if not publish it to your blog...Tell me you have a blog. Yes I'm trying to get you samples and things that you can count as work experience parallel to education, this is how you rise up the latter quickly and stay there.
    Everything you wrote is basically my LIFE. I'm currently on the executive board for my chapter of Public Relations Student Society of America. As of June 1, I will be the president. I'm very excited.

I've spent the past year networking like crazy, volunteering, and getting my name/face out there. Our student-run PR firm is going fantastic things too. In fact, last night we had an event with one of our non-profit clients, Hope of the Valley. It's called the World Leader Series - our guest speakers were Prime Minister Tony Blair and President Vicente Fox. I did a lot of coordinating for the event, I was the event manager and did most of the media relations and celebrity invites. We had two national outlets show up (20/20 and NBC) as well as local broadcast. It was a great experience!

But anyway, I live, breathe, eat and sleep PR. I've worked so hard to get experience and make sure people know who I am. So I know the ability to move up the ladder QUICKLY is in my hands. I know when I graduate in December I will have more than a handful of people who want me to work for them. I'm so excited to start my career and I see the $100k mark being attainable for me in the future.

6. Likes Ororo liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Who Makes Over $100,000 a Year, Part 2

once I pass the CPA exam in '15, I'll be asking for $100K minimum
    forgot about this thread....welp, 2 years since my last post and a friend referred me to one of our competitors and I asked for 6 figs and got it! I don't sit for the CPA until next year, God is good! I do have 10+ years in Consulting so that coupled with a bachelor's in accounting that I completed last year was what got me to this point. And here I thought I'd have to have an advanced degree or cert....you have not because you ask not....
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

8. Likes Mojito Chica, meagan22, Ororo liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Who Makes Over $100,000 a Year, Part 2

I'm in the therapy/rehab field and make well over $100K

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234