Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was listening to a BBC Radio segment this morning. The woman said that doping on that level of the bike tour is rampant. I'm not saying that excuses Lance's behavior, but that I don't think it's as unfair as the investigators are claiming. Lance just doped better than his European counterparts.

I think this is something he knows and the people in the sport know, so it makes sense to just say "yeah, I did" and move the hell on.

BTW, I thought he was already stripped of his titles in August? Yep, he was.

They've already done their worst months ago.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

2. Thanks Intellexual thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if they all ran clean, he would still be a champion, doping put him on level with everyone else. Otherwise no pearl clutching on my part.
    Last edited by Karibana; 01-15-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just not going to condemn him because it's pretty obvious that this is endemic to the sport at that level. He did it better and he won. He'll be fine and I doubt the sport is going to change, so it's just a joke unless they're going to go after everyone.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't disagree with any of that. I'm just objecting to the sheer and utter shenanigans of keeping up the denial for so many years. To think of the time,energy and money that was wasted, to just ultimately admit to doping. That's completely ridiculous to me. You could have admitted X years ago, bro. #foolishness

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

6. Thanks Intellexual thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scribetastic View Post
    I'm just not going to condemn him because it's pretty obvious that this is endemic to the sport at that level. He did it better and he won. He'll be fine and I doubt the sport is going to change, so it's just a joke unless they're going to go after everyone.
    So if there are 50 drug dealers and they only catch one guy, then that guy shouldn't face any repercussions because there are other people doing the same thing and they didn't get caught?

If there's a blackout, and thousands of people are looting and the police nabs one guy, then...

The thing with this whole situation is the lies and the flouting of the rules of the sport. If you care about a sport, then respect and uphold the integrity of the sport. That goes for the one man Lance Armstrong or the other thousands of people involved in professional cycling. With all the dope involved, we really don't know how Lance would have fared. I used to watch cycling and for the longest time, Lance Armstrong was not that high up in the rankings. Then he just knocked out 7 Tours in a row?

He could have legitimately been a great athlete. However, we'll never really know for sure. Everything he's done is tainted. It's sad really.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    So if there are 50 drug dealers and they only catch one guy, then that guy shouldn't face any repercussions because there are other people doing the same thing and they didn't get caught?

If there's a blackout, and thousands of people are looting and the police nabs one guy, then...

The thing with this whole situation is the lies and the flouting of the rules of the sport. If you care about a sport, then respect and uphold the integrity of the sport. That goes for the one man Lance Armstrong or the other thousands of people involved in professional cycling. With all the dope involved, we really don't know how Lance would have fared. I used to watch cycling and for the longest time, Lance Armstrong was not that high up in the rankings. Then he just knocked out 7 Tours in a row?

He could have legitimately been a great athlete. However, we'll never really know for sure. Everything he's done is tainted. It's sad really.
    Nope, that's not what I'm saying. The BBC report basically made it very clear that if you don't dope you don't get to play at all. That was the point of the woman speaking. With the stakes that high, I completely get why he did it if it was his life's ambition. The other guy the woman talked about in this report chose not to dope. He rides but he rides for less prestigious league and the riders higher up taunted him because he chose the right path.

We'd basically not even know who Lance Armstrong is had he chose the straight and narrow. Does that make his doping right? No. Does it make it something I understand? Yes.
    Last edited by Scribetastic; 01-16-2013 at 12:55 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6:46 PM - 14 Jan 13 · Details

Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

10. Likes chachadiva, Karibana liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand that people who are against performance drugs in principle will hate on Lance Armstrong but I also believe that him being a world class a-hole is also fueling vitriol against him.

Bad analogy. This is more akin to the debate over the prohibition of drug use.

That goes for the one man Lance Armstrong or the other thousands of people involved in professional cycling. With all the dope involved, we really don't know how Lance would have fared. I used to watch cycling and for the longest time, Lance Armstrong was not that high up in the rankings. Then he just knocked out 7 Tours in a row?
    Another way of looking at it is that he leveled the playing fields when he doped up ie if they were all clean then he'd be one of the best and that is how I look at it.

To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

12. Thanks Scribetastic thanked for this post
    Likes Scribetastic liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so do I understand correctly that he was never tested?
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^He was, many times. Only he had an entire system to thwart the system including the classic pee swapping.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast