Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scribetastic View Post
    I was listening to a BBC Radio segment this morning. The woman said that doping on that level of the bike tour is rampant. I'm not saying that excuses Lance's behavior, but that I don't think it's as unfair as the investigators are claiming. Lance just doped better than his European counterparts.

I think this is something he knows and the people in the sport know, so it makes sense to just say "yeah, I did" and move the hell on.

BTW, I thought he was already stripped of his titles in August? Yep, he was.

They've already done their worst months ago
    This tickled me because this thread was originally started in August.
    ~~Started Locks (2STs): April 20, 2006~~
    Fotki

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ lance being a world class a*hole.

oh well i'd have rather he won fair and square sans doping, but mheh.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karibana View Post
    Another way of looking at it is that he leveled the playing fields when he doped up ie if they were all clean then he'd be one of the best and that is how I look at it.
    Not arguing your opinion at all. Your opinion is your opinion. Just pointing out the logical issues.

There is no way of knowing how anything would have gone had they all been clean since we were never given enough data to make that assessment. We don't know what we don't know. With everyone 100% clean, Lance could have sucked.

Also since illegal drugs are not standardized across the board, we don't know who was taking a little or a lot; strong drugs vs mild drugs. We can't assess the degree of performance enhancement across the various athletes. Therefore, we can't say that the drugs caused a leveling of anything. All things being equal, if one guy took 10 grams and another guy took 50 grams, there goes all of the "leveling."
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alisondra View Post
    This tickled me because this thread was originally started in August.
    Yeah, I noticed that but I'd already written it and hit "reply" so I let it stay without an edit.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just didn't see a need to start a new thread about the same subject. I knew when the thread was originally started, I bumped it up on purpose.

So yes, he's already been stripped of his mdeals but that wasnt what i was talking about in my bump up, and no that isn't in any way the worst of it if he confesses to doping. He's looking at millions of dollars of repayments on everything from slander suits he filed and won, to new endorsements he got...it may even affect Livestrong. It's such a big mess that one wonders why he did confess (assuming he really did make a clear confession as has been reported).

There was a very good segment explaining the depth of the mess on NPR. I'll see if I can dig up a linky.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

6. Thanks Intellexual thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thus far, Livestrong has actually held up. I think it's for two reasons. Lance stepped down from the organization but, most important, it seems that people can distinguish the foundation and its mission from Lance. This is in spite of the fact that its mission was inspired by Lance's battle with cancer.

I pay attention to non-profit sector news and the initial fear was that Livestrong was going to take a huge hit. That hasn't come to pass...yet. When the allegations broke, he stepped down shortly after that. The org had already been spiraling down Lance's involvement and he knew he was lying re doping, so it was just logical to cut the chord. I read something that said the org has scaled back its budget 11% for this year. I think the foundation will survive and might even be able to thrive again eventually because they've been putting a distance between Lance and the org for awhile now and the org's mission is one that's needed as so many people have to deal with cancer. Livestrong won't be able to completely escape the taint of Lance's cheating. That is what it is, but, doping or not, he still survived cancer and that's the focus of the organization.

Regarding his personal finances, endorsements and all that...I do think that's going to be a mosh pit. I did also read that US cycling itself is now going to get shaken up too. It's a mess. No doubt. Right now though Livestrong is doing exactly that.

The interview airs in two parts tonight and tomorrow. I do wonder how people will react after news about interview details start spreading.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scribetastic View Post
    Thus far, Livestrong has actually held up. I think it's for two reasons. Lance stepped down from the organization but, most important, it seems that people can distinguish the foundation and its mission from Lance. This is in spite of the fact that its mission was inspired by Lance's battle with cancer.

I pay attention to non-profit sector news and the initial fear was that Livestrong was going to take a huge hit. That hasn't come to pass...yet. When the allegations broke, he stepped down shortly after that. The org had already been spiraling down Lance's involvement and he knew he was lying re doping, so it was just logical to cut the chord. I read something that said the org has scaled back its budget 11% for this year. I think the foundation will survive and might even be able to thrive again eventually because they've been putting a distance between Lance and the org for awhile now and the org's mission is one that's needed as so many people have to deal with cancer. Livestrong won't be able to completely escape the taint of Lance's cheating. That is what it is, but, doping or not, he still survived cancer and that's the focus of the organization.

Regarding his personal finances, endorsements and all that...I do think that's going to be a mosh pit. I did also read that US cycling itself is now going to get shaken up too. It's a mess. No doubt. Right now though Livestrong is doing exactly that.

The interview airs in two parts tonight and tomorrow. I do wonder how people will react after news about interview details start spreading.
    Yes. This is why I said Livestrong "may" be affected. No one knows for sure, he has never confessed before. This NPR piece - which annoyingly I can't find a link for yet but I will - was all about possible outcomes from his confession, not having to do with what's happened prior to this moment.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone cares, you can watch the interview at 9:00 pm EST online at: http://www.oprah.com/own
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

9 minutes in and I'm already annoyed. His people did not prepare him well enough for him to sound this rehearsed. It's not his business now to call anyone a liar after years of doing just that?? Now he's blaming "the culture?" I hope everyone that Lance sued for libel gets every single penny back from this narcissist. I also wonder if Oprah will bring up the twitter photo that he posted after he got stripped of the Tour de France titles. I will read about this interview in the morning; I can't finish watching this.

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. It's pretty bad thus far. Thanks for the online link, Chachadiva.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast