Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Approaching 40 & Libido

I am experiencing an interesting change that has been going on for a couple years now. My sex drive - especially during ovulation - is OFF THE CHARTS! When this first started, I had lost about 20 pounds, and I attributed it to that. However, like I said above it's mostly during the days that I know I'm ovulating (my symptoms of ovulation have also become VERY pronounced in my late 30's), so after I unfortunately gained some of the weight back, I thought the sex drive would slow down again. Well, even though the energy level went down some, the increased libido did not.

I posted a while back in the menopause thread that I was having some hormonal & menstrual symptoms that made me think that I may be in perimenopause, but this doesn't match up with most of what I've read about perimenopausal experiences. And it makes me worry that my chances are increased for experiencing a sudden & significant drop in libido as I get closer to menopause.

I'm wondering if anyone else here has experienced this at around 40? I turned 39 on Aug. 18, and I'm now back on the weight loss train (the exercise helps tremendously with the moodiness that I talked about in the menopause thread). With the libido, plus the added energy & confidence I'm anticipating, my hubby - who used to have to coax me into lovemaking - is going to need some extra vitamins to keep up!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, it's your shifting hormones. I think it's just the biology and the approach to menopause. Our bodies are pumping out the "make babies" hormones because it truly is the last stand.

That's what I think it is. I'm sure there are much more scientific explanations for it though. I'm not really complaining too much about it though as it's quite fun.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, Scribetastic it is quite fun!! What you said makes a lot of sense. Guess I'll just enjoy the surge for as long as it lasts!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in my earlier 30s (I'll be 34) and this has been the case for me since I hit 30. It's like as soon as I turned 30, the hormones started raging. And each year it ratches up a knot.
    Self-Love Coach :: Middle School Principal :: Mama :: Wife :: Author :: Black Girl Magic :: Queer :: Priestess:: Beyhive :: Head Queen Bee

Insta | Facebook | Website | Twitter

twix36 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okayyy..so it's not just me. This started for me the summer of 2008 at 37. I just thought it was a passing phase but I just turned 42 a couple of weeks ago and I still feel the same way. I also notice the desire increases around ovulation. I did mention it to my doc a couple of years ago and she just told me to enjoy. The bad part is I'm celibate and feel like all that energy is going to waste.
    Last edited by twix36; 12-29-2012 at 04:36 AM.
    Formerly known as New2natural1

April 4th--2 years fully natural

Thanks for Panking me!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They say women are at their sexual peak from 30 onwards and men in their 20's - solution get a younger man
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ hmpf, maybe not....the youngins tend to get whipped quicker and then you have some dude tryna introduce you to they Mama when you explicitly outlined that the relationship was to come (pun intended) only when beckoned....it was like as soon as I learned how to separate a good screw from a trip down the altar I couldn't find a like-minded guy who felt the same....
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    They say women are at their sexual peak from 30 onwards and men in their 20's - solution get a younger man
    I've always preferred dating younger men, so that works. It's exactly my m.o. right now. It's just great.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'm close to 46 and I've been in this phase since about 39 or so. It's been great! The problem now is that hubby is slowing way down. To the point where I can get physically frustrated and angry. He had a physical last year and got a thumbs up on everything.... I think he needs testosterone pills or something.
    ~~Started Locks (2STs): April 20, 2006~~
    Fotki

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monitored Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) can go a long way toward keeping a male at optimal levels (including of sexual interest). It could take some adjusting to as it can challenge a person to regain control of their behaviors.
    2009: Transitioned
    2020: Mature, Freeformed Locs

11. Thanks Alisondra thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast