Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoilyHairedBeauty View Post
    No One's Hair Should EVER Be This Dirty!

I'd have refused to do her hair cause I have a very weak stomach and I promise you I'd have thrown up on her.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My goodness! I bet her hair stank to high heaven. Ew...
    ~Love the hair you have~

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update:

I was able to talk to the owner about the nastiness of that experience, and she agreed...........GLOVES from here on out!

I also want to mention, I did wash my hands UBER-thoroughly after doing that client's takedown. I kid you NOT, when I got home my left eye was SWOLLEN.

@NapiaMia: That would've really been something....lol. I was trying not to frown up so much because there were a lot of clients in there...

@MommieDearest: Yes, yes it did. She needed some strong shampoo to clean that gunk out of her head.

"Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Olahh View Post
    ^Thx for the link. I let one experience screw up my views on salons that do relaxers and naturals because they "claimed" experience in nat. hair care.

I understand that... I'm picking myself... Which is why I DIY most of the time... However, when I went everyone in the salon was natural except for 1 stylist. They were helpful during my first years of nappturality. But is has been a some years b/c I moved in 2009.

Good luck on your search...

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is so backwards to put your hair in a protective style, and then not care for it, WASH it, e.t.c. The whole point is to allow your hair to rest, and retain length. Of course the scalp has to be healthy in order to grow healthy hair.

That's why I choose styles that mimic my natural hair, so that when I wash it, frizz is not a problem.

Can it be compared to makeup? Say you got your makeup done by Carmindy and it was flawless. Are you not gonna wash your face for a few weeks so you can get more wear out of it?

(i'm on a roll with these analogies....)
    "Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

6. Thanks Intellexual thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoilyHairedBeauty View Post
    It is so backwards to put your hair in a protective style, and then not care for it, WASH it, e.t.c. The whole point is to allow your hair to rest, and retain length. Of course the scalp has to be healthy in order to grow healthy hair.

That's why I choose styles that mimic my natural hair, so that when I wash it, frizz is not a problem.

Can it be compared to makeup? Say you got your makeup done by Carmindy and it was flawless. Are you not gonna wash your face for a few weeks so you can get more wear out of it?

(i'm on a roll with these analogies....)
    ^^^
    YEsssssssssss.... I see this a lot with chicks that wear sew ins. Scalp maintenance is a MUST. Which is more reason why I do my installs on nets because it less tension on your natural hair, but still give you the option to clean and moisturize you hair.

People would be surprised how many chicks don't understand that weaves or sew ins CAN be washed and scalp treated with oil or some other type of product. Like really... You've had this install for 3 months and you have yet to wash your dayum head... They think that by not washing they are preserving the texture, the braid base, or the style itself. But start looking & , when they realize they have a matted hair ball in the end or their natural is breaking off and not growing... Dummy, hair (real or fake) and your scalp like to be clean.

I do think the type of hair a person has makes a difference too... Many people don't know how to take care of weave, or their own natural hair. Most typical black hair products are not good for your natural hair or weave period. And many people don't know the truth about the hair game either... Most BSS hair is not even real hair or left over floor hair that has been over processed for that matter. They use too many chemicals, fabric dye, and tons of silicone on BSS hair. But if you read the package, even most BSS hair suggests that you wash it before installing and during to prolong the life. For instance, I did an install last month with Milky Way hair. I had to soaking the hair over 5 times in clarifying shampoo just to get the water running clear again. They deep condition and sealed that hair before I installed it. I was surprised at the amount of dye and chemicals that came off that hair... It felt like completely different hair once it was truly clean.

Being a full time student, worker, and mother, sew ins are my protective styling method at the moment. I have been natural since 2004, but wearing and/or installing others weave since I was a teen. So yes, I take the hair game just as serious as I do with my own hair. Both have required a lot of research, time and sweat. Personally I only wear virgin or virgin remy hair. But I cowash my weave every 3-4 days, and wash on the weekends. I also oil my scalp every 2-3 days as well. I wear all textures and lengths (curly, straight, kinky, etc) without any problems. Some origins or textures are harder to manage, but no different than my real hair. Not all textures or origins are cared for the in same manner either. Certain products may work for some hair, but not others… But it always loves to stay CLEAN.

8. Likes Red DeSTiny liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People should know to wash their hair in braids, but I didn't when I was growing up. My mother didn't know much about hair care except how to do simple braiding styles...but she never taught me to do that, or to wash my hair while in extensions, etc. So I didn't even realize that you could wash your hair in extensions until I started researching going natural and transitioning. Now, I definitely feel a difference when I wash my hair every week or every two weeks, extensions or not...plus takedown is easier because there isn't as much buildup to get rid of.

Side note: my mom still thinks I'm weird that I wash every week.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Believe it or not there are ppl who feel that once they have braid extensions, or even sewn in weaves that you aren't to wash your hair until you take them out. I remember once getting the "huh?" look when I told someone I needed to wash my hair (had extensions in) and she did not know it was possible the hair could be washed. There are even those with relaxers who only wash their hair in between touch ups (which can be as long as 5-6 weeks), so their hair can maintain a certain look

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yall that is nothing. I had a client that had a weave in for about a year. Yes, a year. Never washed her hair while it was in. She told me this. I could not get the weave out! I could not see the thread because of all the grey gook that was in her scalp. I washed the weave then I washed her hair. Then she wanted me to put more hair in her head!

Another client came to me from another so called stylist, if she was that. She told him not to was his comb coils for a year! Yes, a year! So they could dread. I got to him on month seven. Washed his hair and his whole head turned yellow!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Stylist View Post
    Yall that is nothing. I had a client that had a weave in for about a year. Yes, a year. Never washed her hair while it was in. She told me this. I could not get the weave out! I could not see the thread because of all the grey gook that was in her scalp. I washed the weave then I washed her hair. Then she wanted me to put more hair in her head!

Another client came to me from another so called stylist, if she was that. She told him not to was his comb coils for a year! Yes, a year! So they could dread. I got to him on month seven. Washed his hair and his whole head turned yellow!
    *faints*

Yuck! How can you not wash your hair for a year? *shudders*
    Loc Updates! http://public.fotki.com/cher79/locs-part-2/

Last chemical fire cream November 2002. I transitioned and clipped the remaining p.ermed ends in April 2004.

Locs taken down and restarted. Twists put in 4/5/09.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast