Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^The very last line is so very true.

OP, I have super fine, super shrinking, not-at-all dense 4b hair that is nearly arm pit length. Porosity...I have no clue what mine is; It keeps moisture well and my hair dries okay. I get it trimmed once or twice a year, and my ends have been doing well with the trimming schedule. I need to have a monthly deep protein treatment and daily moisture (just plain ol' filtered water and sealing with grapeseed oil) to keep my fine hair healthy. I read somewhere that fine hair needs more protein than course hair.

Like you, my goal is to have shoulder length hair shrinked to my shoulders, but waist length when stretched. I accepted long ago that I'll be doing twists, braids, cornrolls, and buns for the next few years (2, 5, 10 years, I'm not setting a date) to get the length I want. I'm low maintenance with my hair, and on super rare occasions do I wear a stretched fro or stretched puffs. I LOVE the surprise looks on people's faces that haven't seen how long and super fluffy my hair is for months at a time

I learned just a couple of years ago to cornroll my hair. Now, I can do simple styles that last a couple of weeks or I can braid my hair back to put on a wig for a couple of weeks. My hair really has been retenting a lot these past couple of years, and I'm happy I figured out how to braid my own hair. Braiding my own hair allows me to put on a wig or hair piece or a braided bun and not have to worry about my hair for weeks at a time. When my hair is out of sight, I'm not wondering how long it is or how fast it's growing.

Just curious OP, can you braid/cornroll your own hair? How do you feel about wigs and hair pieces until you reach your desired length?
    By NP member Vavoon. This is me 24/7/365 lol

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have thin somewhat sparse fragile teeny tiny coils. All of that on one head can make retention frustratingly challenging.

For what it's worth, I don't care about growing long hair. But, I do understand that others have this desire. The one thing that I think we sometime forget when doing protective styles to grow hair is that those same challenges with length retention when our hair is shorter will still be there once it is longer.

I went into mini-twists not with intention of growing my hair longer, but to give myself a break. Detangling used to be easy breezy for me, but as my hair grows, I have to be more careful with it. I wore a wash n go for the first time in months and was totally ticked at the detangling process. Same head of hair same issues no matter the length.
    Wear your hair like you MEAN IT...LBellatrix
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
    http://dezgoesnatural.blogspot.com
    See profile for fotki link (finally updated)
    Last hit of the white creamy crack: June 2007
    Full fledged nappy: 12/29/2007

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

two thing i saw from your posts, naturalbeauty 898:

1) you said you have "low porous" hair. I have low porous hair as well, and it hates protein. Protein will sometimes make low porous hair brittle and hard and break easily. If your hair is low porous AND very fine, if you are using protein treatments, it could be causing you breakage instead of helping you. I didn't see it mentioned whether or not you use protein or not, BUT a lot of people think "brittle hair = I NEED MORE PROTEIN!" or "MORE PROTEIN = MORE GROWTH!" and this could be to your detriment if you have protein sensitive hair.

2) Honestly, we all need to stop looking at 3c hair as some type of holy grail of hair textures. The reason for this because 3c hair is not necessarily a cakewalk and treating it as if it is does nothing but divide us, and causes the feelings of negativity towards those who don't have 3c hair as well as minimize the struggles that those who do have 3c hair may be experiencing. If you don't have 3c hair, then you don't have any idea of what people who do have it may go through to deal with it behind closed doors. Each hair type comes with it's own unique issues. Personally, i would LOVE to have some smaller kinks because trying to have a certain look with locs can be a real struggle at times for people who don't have in the 4s somewhere. while you are sitting there wishing you had what someone else had, they could be sitting there wishing they had what you have. Learn what is unique about your own texture that people with other textures can't have and fall in love with that.

3) Locs: the ultimate protective style that brings length. but of course, I'm biased.
    Last edited by coalblacklocs; 09-22-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all for your advice I will just keep my hair in braids until it grows out well. Maybe for 3 more years. I will be using my own hair to save money.
    Kurliez: I can braid but not cornrow my own hair.
    Coalblacklocs: Yes, sometime ago I figured out my hair doesn't do well with protein at all, so I just skip it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Natural Hair Growth!

-------------------------------
    Last edited by Moderator T; 10-25-2012 at 09:11 AM. Reason: no solicitations on this site. please fwd all requests to the board owner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12