Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question CURLIES and for anyone else who wants to chime in.

This is the most that I have ever posted on this site, so I am on a roll... I have hair envy. Im gonna just be honest. It didnt really bother me before, but when my hair was getting longer ( I just did another chop) I would look on hair sites and say Why cant hair be like that? I know my hair is doing what its suppose to do, but my question is this: how do curlies get their hair that way 24 hours 7 days aweek. For IE: Curlynikki, her hair is gorgeous, IE, napptural85, curls are beautiful and others on this site, curls are beautiful. My hair will look like that if I wear my hair is SST for about a wk or so and then my hair looks just plain blah. Dont get me wrong, I love my hair and the texture. I just want to know what curlies do and how much time do people really spend on their hair... I just dont have that much time, although Im sure it would do my hair some good.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You and I are on the dang envy boat together !! I know everyone should love their own hair as it is (I do), BUT there are those who are mystical unicorns (lol) with freakishly beautiful manes that I would not be mad having. I'm a nappy-curly, because my hair is predominately curly (s-shaped and tight curls), but also so kinky and cottony (especially at the roots) that it can easily shrink and puff into one curlesque-afro mass. I am envious of those with minimal shrinkage and a smaller range of curl patterns.

I'm not one of those with amazing hair 24/7 by any means (oh how I wish), but when I go for the super pretty bangin', GAP worthy curls , I use gel. Eco-styler + V05 gives me consistent results that I always get compliments (and weave checked) for. It'll take me between 20-45 min to rake & smooth or just smooth depending on how slow I'm going . I've tried shingling, and I think that it can be very helpful, but my aim is to freeze the curls I have rather than work for new ones. My small 4b and kinky 4a sections vary in how well they want to cooperate with the rest of my hair. A product needs to either be heavy or super moisturizing. Somedays conditioner (Aussie Moist) or a leave-in (Curls Creme Brulee) is enough to give me a similar look. Currently my hair is staying curlier longer without any styling product because 1) my hair is more curly and less kinky when it's healthier and properly moisturized 2) ACV makes my hair spiral looser all over. Also avoiding twistouts and braidouts and sticking with wash n'gos leads to better curls and coils in the long run for me.

I'm not sure if my post was helpful at all, but the my guess would be that curlies with most consistant curls (like Curlynikki and Denim Pixie) only spend 15-20 min applying product because getting definition (how much they spend varies drastically), which they already have, is the part of a wash n'go that takes the most work. Also most wash n'goers are usually redoing their hair everyday to every couple of days.

3. Thanks GeorgiaApple thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Op. I agree. My "envy" is with Mahagonycurls who is kind of the curly girl method guru. The cg method has been working well for me, but my texture is not even close to hers so I should really get over myself

My other "issue" with some of the YouTube folks is hair growth. I don't know if it's because they are constantly styling and trying different products on their hair but all of them seem to have hair that grows like wild fire. I know that my hair is growing and maybe it's the whole "a watched pot never boils" theory with my own tresses, but it just seems like in each video their hair gets longer and longer and mine feels like its not growing nearly as fast.

In terms of time, I have no idea how they find time to do all they do. I'm pretty "natural hair obsessed" these days, but have a job, school and a child so doing hair, trying new products, etc. is more of a side hobby than anything. I don't know how they style, try new products, record video, edit and blog all the time. However, I think some are investing in natural hair as a business opportunity so they are more committed to the time and energy they put into it and also the image that they portray.

Which leads me to my last point. I saw someone post on here to take the "natural hair gurus" with a grain of salt because she said that she was convinced that they only showed their hair when it was "done" giving the illusion that they look that way 24/7. I'm sure they have some blah hair days from time to time, but they get to pick and choose what they post on the web.

This turned into a long ramble. Hope it makes a tiny bit if sense and is relevant to your topic

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IA, Thanks Ebony and Afro. @GeorgiaApple, I stalked your page for along time, your curls are beautiful. Im not sure what shingling is or what the curlygirl method is and will further research. I used to do wash and go's.. I realized that my hair was very very angry with me and caused me great pain when I detangled. I havent used ACV to losen my curl, only when I use it to pretreat my hair before cowashing. I feel ya on the "a watched pot never boils", Im constantly watching my hair, but the longer it gets the more difficult to figure out what it likes. Im not a product junkie, because I cant see spending money on Carol's Daughters or stuff that cost $15-20 that $3-7 might do the trick with, I just need to find that "it". I just hope to find it soon. Some people seem to find it right away and others like myself will probally take another year or so. I love wearing my hair in a FRO or even twists outs but after awhile its a tangle mess. Im hoping with the "Chop" I can actually take the time to consistantly protective style, but dern my hands gets tired and by the time the middle of the week, Im looking a mess and then its time for the cowashing, detangling, protein, deep conditioning process and then retwisting routine again, but patience is my everlasting goal.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AfroIsland
    You and I are on the dang envy boat together !! I know everyone should love their own hair as it is (I do), BUT there are those who are mystical unicorns (lol) with freakishly beautiful manes that I would not be mad having. I'm a nappy-curly, because my hair is predominately curly (s-shaped and tight curls), but also so kinky and cottony (especially at the roots) that it can easily shrink and puff into one curlesque-afro mass. I am envious of those with minimal shrinkage and a smaller range of curl patterns.

I'm not one of those with amazing hair 24/7 by any means (oh how I wish), but when I go for the super pretty bangin', GAP worthy curls , I use gel. Eco-styler + V05 gives me consistent results that I always get compliments (and weave checked) for. It'll take me between 20-45 min to rake & smooth or just smooth depending on how slow I'm going . I've tried shingling, and I think that it can be very helpful, but my aim is to freeze the curls I have rather than work for new ones. My small 4b and kinky 4a sections vary in how well they want to cooperate with the rest of my hair. A product needs to either be heavy or super moisturizing. Somedays conditioner (Aussie Moist) or a leave-in (Curls Creme Brulee) is enough to give me a similar look. Currently my hair is staying curlier longer without any styling product because 1) my hair is more curly and less kinky when it's healthier and properly moisturized 2) ACV makes my hair spiral looser all over. Also avoiding twistouts and braidouts and sticking with wash n'gos leads to better curls and coils in the long run for me.

I'm not sure if my post was helpful at all, but the my guess would be that curlies with most consistant curls (like Curlynikki and Denim Pixie) only spend 15-20 min applying product because getting definition (how much they spend varies drastically), which they already have, is the part of a wash n'go that takes the most work. Also most wash n'goers are usually redoing their hair everyday to every couple of days.
    Which vo5 do you use? I've found that the only one I can use for a leave in for a wash and go is the pomegranate one...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't read anything but the OP.

I've seen Curly Nikki's pics of her hair. Occasionally I've felt a jealousy pang in the past when it comes to other (black) women's hair. However I do my best to kick those pangs in the butt.

I know folks hate the hair-typing system. That said, it's obvious to me that my hair will never look like Nikki's, napptural85's, or [insert certain nappy web celebs' names here]. In spite of the fact that all of us may be natural, we don't have the same hair texture.

Don't get me wrong. I love the women you mentioned. But I think that a substantial part of my hair acceptance struggle involves acknowledging the fact that my hair simply will not look like other people's. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just a matter of figuring out how to make my hair look its best.

As an aside, this topic reminds me of a makeover I once saw on a daytime talk show. The woman involved made an odd statement. Basically, she said that wanted to be made to look attractive...By looking like a certain celebrity. I was in shock. I thought, "You won't think you're pretty unless you look you look like Ms. So-And-So?" On one hand, I get it. I've been there. And yet...We need to learn to see the beauty in ourselves.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

8. Thanks MommieDearest, Mikalia42, thePerfectFool thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ebonyquean4u View Post
    Which vo5 do you use? I've found that the only one I can use for a leave in for a wash and go is the pomegranate one...
    I love love love V05 Shea Cashmere. It's the only one I use now because it's super moisturizing, but I also really like V05 Strawberry & Creme.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an interesting thread. While I occasionally admire and learn from what some of the natural youtubers/vloggers do with their beautiful hair, I'm grateful to say that I can't remember the last time I felt any jealousy in response to any other natural's hair. I do sometimes wish I had the time to experiment with some of the styles and techniques I see being done by nappturals with hair similar to mine, but with a husband, 5 kids, 2 jobs & finishing up a phd, there is no time for much experimentation. Heck, I hardly have time to do the styling & maintenance I can do for my daughters and me. Plus, I know my head of hair is unique to me, so some of that stuff just is not going to work with my hair anyway.

When I finally finished the MENTAL transition that took me much longer than my year and a half long physical transition to napptural hair, I fully embraced this dense mass of afro, kinky, coily, spongy hair, and became determined to accept & love my texture(s). I sometimes wish that my hair was easier and less time consuming to manage , but not "curlier" like a lot of the referenced ladies.

I agree with a lot of what Claire said:

Quote Originally Posted by Claire76 View Post
    it's obvious to me that my hair will never look like Nikki's, napptural85's,or [insert certain nappy web celebs' names here]. In spite of the fact that all of us may be natural, we don't have the same hair texture.

Don't get me wrong. I love the women you mentioned. But I think that a substantial part of my hair acceptance struggle involves acknowledging the fact that my hair simply will not look like other people's. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just a matter of figuring out how to make my hair look its best.

11. Thanks OHR, Claire76 thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had relaxed hair forever and just a year and a half ago I decided to let it go. I chose to keep it braided and let it grow out instead of chop it off again. I have worn my hair really short and curly before, but now it's long and extremely curler and I don't know what to do with it!!! I can't seem to find the right products to use in it that once it dries it doesn't turn into this massive AFRO! I've tried curly creams, mosturizers, jels, mousses. NOTHING!! Only thing that keeps it soft and not dried out is regular conditioner. Does anyone know of any products I would use to keep the conditioner look without using conditioner? Please help....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HI, my name is Liz and I have hair envy of my former hair!

Sometimes I look at pictures of me when I first went naptural (9 years ago) and I think: "Why did I BC 3 times?" "How come I don't take care of my hair the way I use to?" "If I had not {fill in the blank} my hair, my hair would be {fill in the blank again}!"
    I think some kind of hair envy is normal. Even if it's just thinking we wish we had more time to dedicate to our hair. We always think the grass is a little greener when it's in someone else's yard.
    I'm learning to admire and move on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast