Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got with the dirt or smell group. My hair can change throughout the day, so I have learned to accept it and pretty much enjoy the fact that, because it's not straight, it sticking up isn't going to make it look bad. Even if there isn't a wave in sight, I can put a headband on and still feel fine.

The only time I think my hair can look "unkempt," it if I leave twists in a bit too long. Now those things than start to look ratty.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Claire, dirt and smell is where I draw the line. I use the term messy not for fuzz but for when you see the style falling apart like say a flat twist unravelling but other then a perp from the projects on a TV cop drama, I've never seen that IRL.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Claire76 View Post
    You asked about the line between kempt and unkempt hair. I tend to set my own standards using comfort and common sense.
    I think this is key. You will drive yourself crazy being worried about what other people will think.

There are times (like today) when I knew my hair was half crazy looking and I just didn't care. It was the end of a long weekend and I was proud of myself for wearing it out the whole time so if anyone didn't like it then oh well.
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its funny you posted this. Last week a coworker told me my hair needed to be combed. I was wearing a semi stretched fro. It was bigger than usual and wasnt curly. Usually when I'm wearing a WnG she asks me how to do I get it like that, products etc. This time she was like " Comb your hair "

I just laughed and kept going.

" Why travel down her natural journey, when your own is so unique ?" ~ Cerendipity

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^^^ lol

I have definitely had those days when I thought I wish my hair could fit in a hat!! I know its bad when my fro looks like someone beat it with a bat (lumps and bumps, complete with scraggly strands). Thank God for spritz, gel, a good brush and a head band!
    See My Albums

There was nothing strange about your hair. It was strange what your hair had to deal with.
    fotki-http://whatsnew.fotki.com/Georgiaapple/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also think of "unkempt" as being dirty, full of debris, and smelly.

My views of what is unkempt has changed throughout the years when it comes to hair.

When I first got locks, I wanted that "well defined parts showing no fuzz shiney" look, because thats what I thought how locks were suppose to look, if you wanted them to really look "goooood."

Now, ten years later, I will go 6 months without re-tightening my locks and I really love the look of them that way. Even after I do re-tighten them, I can't wait for the parts to stop showing (as much) as the new growth comes in.

They still look well groomed (to me) and I get more compliments sometimes when they haven't been "done" in a while.

As long your hair is clean and healthy...it's alright wit me.

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cerendipity View Post
    its funny you posted this. Last week a coworker told me my hair needed to be combed. I was wearing a semi stretched fro. It was bigger than usual and wasnt curly. Usually when I'm wearing a WnG she asks me how to do I get it like that, products etc. This time she was like " Comb your hair "

I just laughed and kept going.
    Yeah I've gotten that. I went to a museum with some friends not too long ago and it was a hot humid day. So my hair shrunk a bit and got frizzy her and lost some of its defined curl-ness. And this one person who was part of the group but who I didn't know asked me 'what happened your hair was cute this morning?'

I agree with Claire. You'll go cray-cray worrying about what other folks think of your hair. If I feel my hair is less than I want to present to the world I can always put on a headband or a pretty scarf. But for the most part my hair is always washed and maintained and that's sufficient for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the replies. It's nice to know that others have had the same hurdles. And that it's okay to set my own rules and create my own styles when it come to my hair.
    Last Relaxer: April 2010
    BC: March 7th, 2011

9. Likes Lockolatte, OHR liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, unkempt is dirty. I know people have looked at my hair as "unkempt" because I don't comb or pick it out and make a neat "microphone" looking fro. I have found this to be a waste of time for me, especially since I wear a hat with my uniform. When taking the hat off, the hair takes on a mind of its own and my little nappy curls begin to stick up. I like the look of it and so does hubby, so unless someone in my chain of command has an issue, I'm NOT going to change it!
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the line that you choose to draw.

I tend to prefer my hair to be tossled and random. For some, I know they're going to be like "ohhhhhh, she needs to comb her hair" and others are like "I LOVE IT". All that matters is that I love it.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

12. Thanks OHR thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast