Likes Likes:  2
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking 3 yrs natural and not much growth.....

Hi Natural sistas,

I've been Natural now for 3 yrs coming on my 4 yr next Feb. I suffered from alopecia early in my natural stages and heard about Biotin so I started taking these awesome Vitamin H & B 1000 mcg for the last yr and my hair is thicker and stronger now, but the growth is very very slow. I make sure to condition/wash/mosturize and care for my hair as much as possible, but in the end result my hair today looks as I'm 8 mths natural. I'm not a fond of protective styles on my hair, cause they never turn out right. I will twist my hair w/extension and leave them for 1 month, but still no changes with the length. Maybe I'm a slow grower and shouldn't stress myself, but some of the You Tube girls I follow have surpass me in length.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tmi4me View Post
    Hi Natural sistas,

I've been Natural now for 3 yrs coming on my 4 yr next Feb. I suffered from alopecia early in my natural stages and heard about Biotin so I started taking these awesome Vitamin H & B 1000 mcg for the last yr and my hair is thicker and stronger now, but the growth is very very slow. I make sure to condition/wash/mosturize and care for my hair as much as possible, but in the end result my hair today looks as I'm 8 mths natural. I'm not a fond of protective styles on my hair, cause they never turn out right. I will twist my hair w/extension and leave them for 1 month, but still no changes with the length. Maybe I'm a slow grower and shouldn't stress myself, but some of the You Tube girls I follow have surpass me in length.
    How much growth were you expecting? Also, are you taking shrinkage into account?

Next month will mark 3 years since my last big chop. Stretched, my hair is at my collarbone/top of my shoulders. However, the last time it was loose and shrunken, it looked similar to Solange's.

ETA - I re-read your post and I see that your hair is almost 4 years old. Still, again, I refer to my first 2 questions.

I'm almost tempted to post Chescaleigh & friends' video about patience. Long hair takes a long time.
    Last edited by Claire76; 10-16-2012 at 09:01 PM.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stop following Youtube girls. I'm not being snarky. You just have to live and embrace your own experience. Your hair will do whatever it does. You will be fine with short or long hair.

Depending on your hair handling, you could be breaking your hair off. Or you could be a slow grower. Hey, that's life.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

4. Thanks toosexy1 thanked for this post
    Likes Claire76 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unpopular Answer: I've been napptural 20 years and my hair has never looked like the ladies in the "Patience" video. It's fairly longish now (bet collar and arm-pit length) but I don't know if BSL is ever going to bein the cards for me much less waist length and all that. My hair is fine and fragile and slow growing and I've never been a rapunzel head. I'm not saying you are like me or that your hair can't get to waist length- I have no way of knowing that - I am saying that not all nappy-heads are the same and going napptural does not automatically mean someone will end up with a blanket of hair.

Just take good care of yourself and your hair and let it do what it do. It's not worth worrying over, and comparing yourself to others is always a sure-fire road to needless frustration and disappointment.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

6. Likes Claire76 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got it ladies thanks, besides today I'm sporting a fierce afro and I'm actually happy. The post mean a lot to me and @ "chachadua" yes on YouTube you are so right, there are ladies on there I shouldn't compare myself too in no form or fashion. @ "Claire76" I have a major problem with shrinkage; maybe because I live in Florida the humidity is brutal here. In the end I may be just a slow grower. I will continue to take care of my curls and work with what I have.