FB=Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just my two cents being that I can speak from both sides of the coin. I was a child who had children so I found myself relying on the system for a few years. At that time I lived in low income housing (rent $5.00) and no utilities. I received welfare and food stamps. I bought what was needed and didn't splurge much. In the neighborhood I lived in very few of the other young mothers worked so the environment made it easy to settle. Anyway, after a while it got old as I wanted to do better for my boys so I started doing volunteer work at the local DCF office via the Project Independance program to obtain secretarial skills. As long as I did my volunteer hours they provided me with bus passes and child care. I was hired on within 6 months after getting my GED. This was back in 89 and I worked there for 11 yrs.

In that time being on the other side of the table I saw a lot and learned a lot. I never judged the young ladies/men because that's who I was at one time. But what I did do was tried to offer them encouragement via my story. Some listened and went to school/work with the assistance of the Wages Program and some just kept having babies and lost benefits for non compliance. These programs should not become a life style but just a temporary need for the time being.
    "Don't ever think I fell for you, or over you. I didn't fall in love, I rose in it. I saw you and made up my mind". Toni Morrison

4. Likes Mae liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalDiva03 View Post
    Oh I didn't write the post so I'm good but I agree with you... I have a cousin who is totally dependent upon the system. I just shake my head because she is abusing the system if you can keep your hair and nails "did" and on point and keep having babies are you really in need? Then there are those who serve in the military/single moms & fathers and they say They make too much and it makes me upset because we can't even utilize what is out there for us. But my cousin is having steak and shrimp dinners with a bottle of Moscato on our dime.

Now for those who genuilly need the assistance I say get it why you still can....
    Are recipients supposed to eat vienna sausages and look busted? They could be "on point" by DIY or a mate providing. RE: having babies - there's a cap. A mother can have umpteen kids and only receive cash assistance for 2, and if the father's name isn't listed... less assistance. Most recipients work for benefits/subsidy, so is it really a handout or aid if they're required to work? RE: Military. The same rules apply to all. If you qualify, you're entitled. Military families have a lot more opportunities/programs than ordinary citizens - Google.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzziwuz View Post
    Are recipients supposed to eat vienna sausages and look busted? They could be "on point" by DIY or a mate providing. RE: having babies - there's a cap. A mother can have umpteen kids and only receive cash assistance for 2, and if the father's name isn't listed... less assistance. Most recipients work for benefits/subsidy, so is it really a handout or aid if they're required to work? RE: Military. The same rules apply to all. If you qualify, you're entitled. Military families have a lot more opportunities/programs than ordinary citizens - Google.
    Here we go....

1. I never said that recipients had to eat Vienna sausages but one would think that if I umpteen kids to care for I would stretch those dollars a little bit further to buy things like ground beef etc.

2. And as far as "on point" you're right it could be DIY or a mate providing but obviously it's not in her case because if it was so she wouldn't have multiple baby fathers and raising them alone. And that's where the FB post comes into place where should EBT be accepted and where shouldn't it?

3. I'm not sure if you read my post correctly this is someone I know personally and I know for a fact isn't using her benefits for a period of time but is basically milking the system and I know I'm not the only one who knows someone like that....

4. Have you served in the military? If not then you really can't comment on what opportunities are out there for service members. There's a misconception about us that because were paid on the 1st and the 15th that we have it made..... That's a lie. And Google what? I know people whose bills surpass they're monthly income.

I don't know if your coming at me with some type of feeling that I think that GA recipients are only supposed to have ABCD given to them because they need assistance if so then you're wrong. GG stated above that with her money she bought organic products amongst other things. But she's single. When you have other priorities like your children's welfare I would think that you would do better and be more responsible with your actions.
    Just want to say thank you to my fairy PANKGodmother for making me PANK!Time to update my ignore list

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what I did do was tried to offer them encouragement via my story. Some listened and went to school/work with the assistance of the Wages Program and some just kept having babies and lost benefits for non compliance. These programs should not become a life style but just a temporary need for the time being.
    I've encouraged some to get on and off, but mainly to use it to their advantage like other cultures ... and elevate yourself. One case I felt sort of bad telling a woman to get on the system. She was a generational recipient that felt proud of finally getting off and finding a job, only to be laid off and having to make the choice between being homeless or going on PA. I stated it's not about you, it's for your kids. It's temporary ... don't depend on it, but use it to elevate yourself. When your situation improves, get off. I don't judge, I just pass the tissue and give a different perspective. On the other hand, I encounter a few that abuse or should I say get over. I have no words because I know they'll screw themselves in the end. When one gets tired of fleeing to another state, spending all their time in court & DOSS offices, being creative/slick, when those kids reach legal age... at the end of the day (decade.. lol); one has to work. And it's a lot more difficult starting at 40+ than at 20. It's best to handle business now, than later.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzziwuz View Post

Ummm no ma'am I was in the A.F. for over a decade in the beginning it was just me and my oldest son...I DID NOT qualify for assistance of ANY kind. I made $536 per pay period (1st and 15th). I couldn't get rent assistance or food stamps because I made too much. A sweet neighbor lady kept him before and after school for just a bit of change ( I love you Ms. Gert). I was on the wait list for military housing for THREE YEARS. So if you add it up...school lunch...rent...car payment...utilities...clothes...food...gas. It wasn't nothing nice and in the beginning I struggled MORE than when I was getting gov't assistance.

Yes I made due and yes I could have went to the 1st Sgt and asked for voucher to the food pantry, but they don't forget that shit and use it against you when it come times for review and such. Would I have done it if we we're starving...hell yeah, but I make a $1 out of the 0.15 uncle sam was paying me.
    ~Never allow someone with limited vision to limit yours~
    Officially Nappy 6 Feb 03
    Loc Journey began 17 Mar 07
    I be bloggin'...PM me for the lank!
    iStruggle...I'm a work in progress
    If I don't respond to your post directed at me, I probably have you on ignore #truestory

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if your coming at me with some type of feeling that I think that GA recipients are only supposed to have ABCD given to them because they need assistance if so then you're wrong. GG stated above that with her money she bought organic products amongst other things. But she's single. When you have other priorities like your children's welfare I would think that you would do better and be more responsible with your actions.
    I'm just relating that it's not always what it seems, expressing my viewpoint because that's what you asked. RE: Feeling:

Then there are those who serve in the military/single moms & fathers and they say They make too much and it makes me upset because we can't even utilize what is out there for us. But my cousin is having steak and shrimp dinners with a bottle of Moscato on our dime.

My thing is we can't control where our tax dollars go and how folks utilize. If we're going to be angry of how a recipient spend their mere benefits be equally upset of corporate welfare, bank bail outs, incentives and all the free money that some of us are entitled to... and don't necessarily use it for it's purpose. If I have a cousin that's into surf & turf, I won't be upset, i'll be stopping by for dinner. We can't expect people to imitate our behavior pertaining to responsibility.

RE: Where EBT should be accepted - Grocers. Any place other it's a government monitor issue. Businesses are taking a hit because folks don't have cash, so it's a wise business decision to incorporate, but it's up to the government to verify these businesses as grocers and monitor.

RE: Military. I don't need to be in the military to be aware of the programs. You're in, are you aware? The same as... we don't need to be poor to be aware there's public assistance. Using your theory, if people in the military bills surpass their monthly income, shouldn't they cut back and/or be more responsible? I'm simply stating, if one have difficulty there is some type of program that we ALL qualify... and technically i'm sure most of us, of various economic backgrounds, have benefited from some type of freebie, grant, subsidy, tax break, PA or whatever free benefit from the government. But we don't get the same stigma as the welfare recipient, when it all equates to free money IMO. I don't know military salaries, don't care when they get paid. If one's having financial difficulty seek out the countless private & public programs for military families, ie: FSSA. But again, if you don't qualify.... you're not entitled.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was in the A.F. for over a decade in the beginning it was just me and my oldest son...I DID NOT qualify for assistance of ANY kind. I made $536 per pay period (1st and 15th). I couldn't get rent assistance or food stamps because I made too much.
    The issue is: IF YOU QUALIFY. Just like individuals outside of the military, we all don't qualify. An individual could be a few cents away from target and denied. Secondly, it's over a decade. Many programs were created since then... particularly after 9/11. Question: In your career, did you receive a military grant for housing, education, utility bills, etc.? It's possible you qualified for something, but refused due to politics within your branch. Eligibility is required for a military program.

Any ways... when I think government assistance, i'm not thinking of programs for the poor... i'm considering all programs. As for individual needy programs, maybe you didn't qualify and/or take advantage. But there's military employees that qualify for the Food Stamp program and FSSA. It all depends upon rank, family composition, state/location and income.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I'm well aware ma'am lol it's funny when people try and be snarky but has never walked the path. And the same could be said about those who are on assistance cut back right?

Luv Jones I know exactly what you're talking about.....
    Just want to say thank you to my fairy PANKGodmother for making me PANK!Time to update my ignore list

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast