Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Government Assistance? Yay or Nay?

This a FB post that I came across this morning:

So the topic of discussion for today is: due to the increase in people abusing government assistance...should there be a limit on how long someone can get assistance (i.e. two years at a time with six months in between periods)? And should they make it more like WIC so that people aren't buying alcohol for parties and what not...(what good reason does a liquor store have to accept EBT anyway? For skittles?) Also, should the payroll system with companies be tied in somehow to the IRS, for those that don't report when their income increases? But before we get started, let me just say that I have nothing against people using government assistance...I'm just asking questions.

What do you all think???
    Just want to say thank you to my fairy PANKGodmother for making me PANK!Time to update my ignore list

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As someone who has used public assistance (single mom/student) I have to FIRST say that MOST people who get gov't assistance are not abusing the programs. This is not directed at you, I don't feel you're attacking anyone, but there is a HUGE misconception on the publics part that all this money is being siphoned off by folks abusing the system, I feel it gets overstated as a way of diverting attention from where our money is truly wasted and "stolen"

Ok now to answer your questions...

I do think there should be a limit to access, BUT I feel the gov't will/does limit access but doesn't ADEQUATELY provide programs to help those who need it. A lot of job/trade training programs have been cut and/or eliminated.

I do believe there should be restrictions on how the assistance is spent, that's just how I feel. Even though I believe MOST folks who get assistance are stretching that $$$/EBT as far as possible. For those few folks who don't do right there should be guidelines in place.

When I was a young mom I NEVER bought high dollar items. No shrimp no steak...I purchased chicken and ground beef (lean if it was on sale) I did get a job and not report it for as long as I could. Contrary to popular belief the assistance isn't the lotto and I was trying to do the best I could.
    ~Never allow someone with limited vision to limit yours~
    Officially Nappy 6 Feb 03
    Loc Journey began 17 Mar 07
    I be bloggin'...PM me for the lank!
    iStruggle...I'm a work in progress
    If I don't respond to your post directed at me, I probably have you on ignore #truestory

3. Likes Mojito Chica, Akomas_Angel liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I didn't write the post so I'm good but I agree with you... I have a cousin who is totally dependent upon the system. I just shake my head because she is abusing the system if you can keep your hair and nails "did" and on point and keep having babies are you really in need? Then there are those who serve in the military/single moms & fathers and they say They make too much and it makes me upset because we can't even utilize what is out there for us. But my cousin is having steak and shrimp dinners with a bottle of Moscato on our dime.

Now for those who genuilly need the assistance I say get it why you still can....
    Just want to say thank you to my fairy PANKGodmother for making me PANK!Time to update my ignore list

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think this is issue makes a mountain out of a mole hill. the vast majority of people on assistance are not abusing the system. not knocking you, OP, but when people bring up these points about the few cases here and there of abuse and it's the ONLY time government assistance is discussed, it makes it seem like most people are abusing the system.

oh and i was getting EBT for a while and i was buying shrimp, proscuitto, organic fruit, etc . where is it written in the rules that just because you're getting EBT you have to eat cheaper priced stuff? you get a certain amount of $$ to buy your food so what difference does it make to anyone else if you're spending that on a higher priced item?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP this isn't geared toward you but it is toward those who share that sentiment.

Instead of coming down on the majority of people who are simply trying to buy food why not ask the government why they will no longer provide commodities for people who have issues (momentarily or long term) purchasing food. If the belief is that SNAP/EBT recipients are given too many options why not petition the government to bring back commodities. I'm old school and totally remember the days of blocks of cheese, canned goods (tuna, beef, chicken, pork, peanut butter), powdered eggs, dry milk etc.

Also, for people who think that every working person is doing just fine a majority of lower wage workers are simply not and need assistance. I think that reading Nickel and Dimed (Ehrenreich) would be an eye opener for alot of these people. Not everyone who has a job and getting benefits is living it up.

Locs 2nd Set: April 3rd 2012 - Yup they're back

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you all think???
    If a taxpayer contributed into the system, why can't they benefit when in need? I can't say yay or nay.... it depends upon the circumstance. If a family flee to this country and/or arrive to milk it's benefits; or a generational family who either used or abused the system and did not contribute or have any plans to .... nay.

As for the other issues... term limits were already set during the Clinton Administration. However due to the economy, many exceeded the 2 year term limit. I don't think it's fair for employees to work 15+ years, find themselves unemployed, unable to find work within a 2 year span and dropped from government assistance. And the purpose for 2 year limits were to bring folks from welfare to workfare. Sounds great in theory, but what actually occurred was exploitation. Businessness capitalized from the tax breaks while recipients were appointed temporary jobs, only to be unemployed in less than a year and back on the system. If there's going to be any change, the program should be monitored... giving businesses incentives after hiring full time -- a minimum of 2 years. However currently recipients are working -- slave wages (ie: benefits) or else they'll be sanctioned; and companies continue to reap the benefits, ie: tax breaks. What irks me about this topic (the discussion, not the post) is the mindset of individuals who really don't have a clue. The hardworking individual who fell into hard times, (not necessarily their fault in some cases) is treated and tossed into the same category as the welfare queen. These folks IMO are not in touch with the times we're living in and/or examine their lives and perplexed as to why recipients can't do the same. Even if we're cut from the same cloth, doesn't mean we will think and act the same.

As for EBT used in bodegas, that's a monitoring issue. RE: Payroll system tied into IRS, system already in place. The issue is false identity/fraud. How do you catch those that try to get over? Frankly, the welfare queens/kings are no different than the company head honcho.... both know the system well, the law and know how to use the system to their benefit which is legal. That's where the problem lies IMO.... fixing the loop holes. What I don't like is the public policing on individuals who need. Most are not getting over. There's no need to state what type of food or drinks should be added to a patrons cart because they receive food stamps. It's really none of our business; we don't know their circumstance. We contribute our taxes in other areas that we have no control, yet some of us don't have a disdain for other sects who benefit and undeserving. My thought is charity begins at home, and I rather take care of folks here: poor, elderly, handicapped, children... than give my taxpaying dollars abroad or to companies who have means and ship jobs over seas. I'm not for individuals milking the system, but if you're in need and contribute, you're entitled. We don't know what the future beholds for us, just hope there's a system in place when it's your time.

** off the podium **

8. Thanks Big Teezy, Micheli thanked for this post
    twix36 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^I agree with everything in this post and others. None of us know what will happen, especially in this current economy. After working full time for 16 years, I thought I was on easy street. Owned my own home, was making good money, getting ready to buy a rental property,etc. I won't lie and say I didn't look down on welfare recipients, because I did. I felt like "shoot, go get a job like I did." Imagine my surprise when a year went by and I still didn't have a job and my nice little nest egg had run out (because $275/wk unemployment doesn't cover much). Now here comes the bigger surprise, my son and I didn't qualify for Medicaid or food stamps! They said making $275 per week was too much for 2 people and we didn't meet the qualifications! Really?!

So, yes I think there should be time limits put in place but I also say the system needs an overhaul and people should be able to get assistance when they really need it.

Sorry for going off on my tangent...

10. Likes luvfaithfully, Akomas_Angel liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think everyone believes that the government should provide some level of assistance.

The real point of contention is the type and duration of assistance. It's an eternal question along with the what is the true role of government.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

12. Thanks Serbbral thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twix36 View Post
    ^^I agree with everything in this post and others. None of us know what will happen, especially in this current economy. After working full time for 16 years, I thought I was on easy street. Owned my own home, was making good money, getting ready to buy a rental property,etc. I won't lie and say I didn't look down on welfare recipients, because I did. I felt like "shoot, go get a job like I did." Imagine my surprise when a year went by and I still didn't have a job and my nice little nest egg had run out (because $275/wk unemployment doesn't cover much). Now here comes the bigger surprise, my son and I didn't qualify for Medicaid or food stamps! They said making $275 per week was too much for 2 people and we didn't meet the qualifications! Really?!

So, yes I think there should be time limits put in place but I also say the system needs an overhaul and people should be able to get assistance when they really need it.

Sorry for going off on my tangent...
    that's so crazy to me! different states have different rules, which i think is another reason getting up in arms about abuse of the system is pointless. what's going to be considered abusive in one state is normal in another.

i live in cali and it was ridiculously easy for me as a single no kids person on unemployment to qualify for $200 a month in aid yet in new york where things were a bit more expensive i didnt qualify at all even though i was getting the same amount in unemployment.

and oh i did get quite a few eye rolls when i'd pull my ebt card out of my kate spade bag. i realize how ridiculous it looked, but it was a purchase i made when things were better.
    i agree with cutie that in this day and age we really need to reconsider our views on who deserves what in terms of need. just because you're working doesnt automatically mean you're living high on the hog. for instance, after 9 months of being unemployed (and 4.5 of those months i had NO income coming in since cali screwed me in UI benefits), i found a fultime job. that's great BUT i took a $10K pay cut (and it's not like i was making a lot of money to begin with) and from now until feb/march 75% of my paychecks have to go with catching up on all the bills abd late charges, i half paid while i was unemployed. what's nuts is that i got in touch with my case worker o let her know i had a job so they could discontinue my benefits, but turns out, i still qualify for benefits! that my friends doesn't instill me with the greatest of confidence about my full time job.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalDiva03 View Post
    This a FB post that I came across this morning:

So the topic of discussion for today is: due to the increase in people abusing government assistance...should there be a limit on how long someone can get assistance (i.e. two years at a time with six months in between periods)? And should they make it more like WIC so that people aren't buying alcohol for parties and what not...(what good reason does a liquor store have to accept EBT anyway? For skittles?) Also, should the payroll system with companies be tied in somehow to the IRS, for those that don't report when their income increases? But before we get started, let me just say that I have nothing against people using government assistance...I'm just asking questions.

What do you all think???
    What is FB? Is it on the Nappturality Forum List?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast