Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How do roots lock if they continuously unravel?

For about 5 months of my loc journey the woman who did my hair pretty much interlocked my roots. Then around the 6th month she didn't interlock my roots, I guess she just palm rolled them. Well I decided that I just don't have the money anymore to continue getting my hair done in the shop so my grandma retwisted my hair last month. I washed my hair today and my roots unraveled. So now I have my unraveled roots from the times the beautician and my grandma palm rolled my hair, then the parts where my hair was interlocked. How will my roots lock if every time I wash my hair they unravel?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your roots don't remain your roots, they grow out and will lock in their own time. It is normal for a retwist to unravel on baby locks. Your hair might just take longer to lock (like mine). Remember the roots are the newest parts of the hair, so it is normal for it to be loose. Once it grows it will lock into the length of the loc. HTH

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh that makes sense! Thanks for that. Lol every time I stop worrying about my babies and just let them do their own thing, something else pops up that I begin worrying about smh

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your roots will always unravel as it new growth push through, it ever remains tight, especially if you palm roll. If you don't have the money to get your rethight, there are many tutorials out there. No need to buy a loctool either, about 2-3$ will get you a tapestry or yarn needle that will get the job done.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

5. Likes QueenLocks liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was about to post the same thing with the same question. But i dont understand the explanation , can someone please explain it to me again ?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your hair grows out from the scalp. As the new growth grows and is retwisted or interlocked it locks up and becomes a part of the length of the lock. The new growth is no longer close to the scalp, but becoming tangled in with the rest of the older part of the lock.

8. Likes coalblacklocs liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may seem cool for some, and strange for others, but here is a suggestion:
    Find a lock {any loc you choose is fine}... and add a "bead" or two, and leave it in for more than one year... you will "see" that area of locked hair growing down where the bead is.... This happened with my first set of locs. I had a bead near my eyes, and a few yrs. later, it was past my chin {length}....
    HTH
    http://www.Queenlocks.com
    http://queenlocks.wordpress.com
    NP Member for 10+ years!
    NP Of The Month OCT. 2004

10. Likes KnottyAuthor, Sohful1 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lockolatte View Post
    Your hair grows out from the scalp. As the new growth grows and is retwisted or interlocked it locks up and becomes a part of the length of the lock. The new growth is no longer close to the scalp, but becoming tangled in with the rest of the older part of the lock.
    I remember reading somewhere how any measures you take to tighten your roots is basically just a method to hold it in place until that area grows longer and is around long enough to become enmeshed with the rest of the loc. By the time that part is longer and has began to mat in with the rest of the loc, you'll have more new growth. Such is the nature of locs.

Ive seen people use a few diffent methods to hold the new growth into place longer, my method of choice is interlocking because I swim a lot and interlocking holds the newgrowth together far better for me than twists.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your roots will never lock. There is a demarcation line where your hair will start to lock and where there will always be new growth. When I first started locking my hair I notice that my hair locked from the tip upwards; as my hair grew out it locked from the oldest new growth from the roots. I palm rolled for many years only to be annoyed because I love washing my hair on a regular basis. I started latching them and I just separate them and go. ;-)
    TO BE LOCKED IS TO BE FREE!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No worries, your new growth will loc with the original as it gets longer. Just keep it clean and covered and your babies will do amazing things

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast