Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interesting thread. In Europe, people will view you as African, just by your looks. So the majority of people here will be viewed as Africans at a glance. They will know you´re not African when you speak English, and tell them you´re American....
    Uzuri - May 2006 NoTM
    Joined NP on 2003
    last chemical fire cream-April -May 2002, Cut off all relaxed hair-Nov 2nd 2003
    Loc´d Dec 11, 2011, redid some on Jan 1st, 2012

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I view myself as Black, to me that term widely encompasses people of African descent (at least as it's used in the U.S.).

I was born in Malawi and moved here when I was young, and most of my family is still there. Many are urbanized but many still live a tribal lifestyle and reside in villages outside of the cities. My mom tells me to always remember that I can always back to my village if things ever get rough .

The point being, I've always felt that "African American" refers to the culture of Blacks whose families have been in the U.S. for multiple generations, and who often have some European and/or Native American ancestry as a result. So maybe my experience is somewhat opposite those who view their ancestral roots as centuries removed. A Nigerian friend has a t-shirt that says "African. American.". I relate to that. I'm both.

At the end of the day, I like the term Black, and that's how I usually describe myself. It's shorter and it applies to a broad array of ethnicities.
    Thanks nappy friend for giving me a PANKing!

3. Thanks Bithiya thanked for this post
    Likes Bithiya liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uzuri View Post
    Very interesting thread. In Europe, people will view you as African, just by your looks. So the majority of people here will be viewed as Africans at a glance. They will know you´re not African when you speak English, and tell them you´re American....
    This reminds me that one thing that makes me proud to be a Black American is that particularly since the Civil Rights era, we've consciously played a role in naming ourselves based on our own preferences and cultural backgrounds, rather than adopting labels for and by White people/the majority. Obviously many Americans aren't aware of these distinctions but we can at least talk to each other about them in a way that makes sense. I think the varying labels that people describe in this thread and the reasons why they prefer them, speak well to the diversity of Black/African Americans. This wouldn't be the case if we adopted a blanket term that is convenient to Euro-Americans.
    Thanks nappy friend for giving me a PANKing!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Athough black people in America can't claim any one African nation as their own, we still have similarities with other black people in the diaspora. We have the same speech patterns as people from West Africa or the Caribbean who speak English. American blacks and Caribbean blacks give their children the same kinds of names with Ta-, Qua-, Da-, Sha- as prefixes and _isha as a suffix. There are remnants of varied African cultures in our dance as well. I saw a video by Eddie Torres, the Mambo King, who was shocked to see James Brown doing a version of one of his native dances, the Pachanga.
    la vida es un carnaval.

6. Thanks Urbanite, Bithiya, Ororo thanked for this post
    Likes Urbanite, Bithiya, Kurliez liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simply AMERICAN. I don't accept "African American" or "black." I have traced my family lineage on my mom's side back to almost 250 years ago to flesh and blood Ancestors whose names I am familiar with. American all the way!
    AMERICAN GIRL!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget that we were NEVER referred to as Africans until the middle eighties with us allowing Jesse Jackson to add "African" to our nationality.
    AMERICAN GIRL!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
    Don't forget that we were NEVER referred to as Africans until the middle eighties with us allowing Jesse Jackson to add "African" to our nationality.

This isn't true. The Free African Society, the first mutual aid society, was founded in 1787. The African Methodist Episcopal Church was founded not long after. There have been many of us in the Americans who considered ourselves African way before Jesse Jackson.
    "To whom much is given much is required."

10. Thanks panafrican, NaturalDiva03, Ororo thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanite View Post

This isn't true. The Free African Society, the first mutual aid society, was founded in 1787. The African Methodist Episcopal Church was founded not long after. There have been many of us in the Americans who considered ourselves African way before Jesse Jackson.
    As as people we were moreso refered to as "negro" and black; even Afro-American. The term "African American" was not our over all reference until Jesse Jackson suggested it in the 80's. Im aware of the African Methodist Church and so forth, but like I say, AS A PEOPLE were not called by that title. Not saying anything negative about being called African so please don't misunderstand me. Anyway, I am simply AMERICAN and will add the "Afro" to separate myself and my people from other so-called Americans when neccessary. My deffinition of an Afro-American is one who has roots on this land during Antebellum. These are my views.
    AMERICAN GIRL!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
    As as people we were moreso refered to as "negro" and black; even Afro-American. The term "African American" was not our over all reference until Jesse Jackson suggested it in the 80's. Im aware of the African Methodist Church and so forth, but like I say, AS A PEOPLE were not called by that title. Not saying anything negative about being called African so please don't misunderstand me. Anyway, I am simply AMERICAN and will add the "Afro" to separate myself and my people from other so-called Americans when neccessary. My deffinition of an Afro-American is one who has roots on this land during Antebellum. These are my views.
    I agree that term African-American wasn't in vogue until the 80s but you said we were "NEVER referred to as Africans until the middle eighties" and I am just pointing out that that's not completely accurate. Yes, in general we went through periods of being called "negro," "colored," and "Black" but it's not as though we were never considered any parts African until Jesse Jackson said so.

I'm not at all judging your choice of identity. It's just not historically accurate to say were NEVER referred to as African until the 1980s. That's all...
    "To whom much is given much is required."

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

homosexual-american
    catholic-american
    fat-american
    blue-eyed-american
    tall-american
    brunette-american

my "racial" background is no one's business any more than my sexuality or religion. my color is a description just like my height or weight. we embrace AA/black because to do otherwise implies like of pride or shame. i love my heritage, but i'm tired of being labeled in this way. it's like we're all willingly walking around with a star of david on our chests. i'm an american, period. don't worry about the rest.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast