Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I'm Not African American...I'm Black

I have never been offended by the use of 'African American,' but personally there a few reasons I donít particularly like the term. I have used it in my writing when making efforts to be politically correct, or as an alternative reference to Black people. Yet I have always viewed it as just that: a politically correct alternative to Black. Never something I whole-heartedly embraced. I have checked it on applications, but never used it to self-identify in real-life. It has always felt forced, redundant, and quite frankly, inaccurate. Using the term 'African American' feels like using Kente cloth made in China trying desperately to authenticate myself. In theory I know where I'm from, but in actuality I wasnít made there.

Iím very much aware that my ancestors were from Africa, and in no way would I want to distance myself from that fact. From an early age my family taught me the painful context of our history in this country, and also that our history as a people did not begin solely with slavery. We come from great peoples and civilizations, and itís something that has always given me a sense of pride and dignity. However, knowing all of this, there is still no way to pinpoint exactly where my African ancestors came from. Therefore, I have no direct lineage, specific heritage, language or traditions to lay claim to.

http://www.ebony.com/news-views/im-n...rican-im-black

Articles is from ebony.com. Whatchy'all think? Do any of you have a preference?

2. Thanks Vavoon, Intellexual, Kurliez thanked for this post
    Likes Vavoon, CCmomof5, DazeOff, QueenLocks liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i personally don't use the term AA just because it leave out the part of my parents and family being from haiti.. if anything, I prefer "american-born haitian of african descent." abbreviated = black.

4. Likes Urbanite liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I acknowledge being blacked or marked within our caste system, based on my skin complexion. No one who isn't seeking sex or money has expressed interest in my lineage unless it's to ascertain how illustrious the passage of my cotton-picking slavery lineage might be or if I'm to be socially liable for the suffering or exploits of any particular blacked peoples, whereas people who aren't blacked feel entitled to be perhaps cautiously curious (as if they're going to be mauled by a savage they're attempting to befriend) if not entertained by my perceived passion or indifference and those who presume to dictate how I should act, feel, or think about as much based on us both/all being marked.

I'm also not one of those sought after unicorn ******s who has dug up paperwork on which "Whites" are descendants of people who owned cotton-picking slaves who I may have also descended from or has proof that they're not one of "those" blacked people (therefore perhaps they're more a victim of unwarranted current slavery/oppression). The romance and politics of ongoing oppression, as expressed in being marked and regarded as another group rather than individual, doesn't let me get comfortable with whatever flavor of the decade label comes with the suffering and subjugation.

I don't have sickle cell anemia, as if anyone who cares about my ethnicity had a legitimate point of the sort. I don't harbor pride or shame about being marked. However, if I'm going to delve into nuances about these matters, it's going to be about the substance rather than the labels. I've done nothing to deserve being marked and I don't accept it as inherent to my being rather than an action perpetrated against me. I am not black or any other description which would put the stain upon me rather than that I am being blacked.

I for damned sure don't have other blacked people trying to put in work with me, based on having found out that I'm actually blacked too or something of the sort. It's just modern day negro spirituals by folk sitting on plantations or waiting for the <whatever>ships of today to sacrifice them, unless they find their special place in society for as yet seemingly escaping the horrors as a token or something like that.

When folk want to discuss how we can feel MUTUALLY comfortable with calling each other friend, brother/sister/kinfolk, loved one, that'll be the day to get excited perhaps.
    Last edited by Intellexual; 11-09-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    2009: Transitioned
    2020: Mature, Freeformed Locs

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intellexual View Post
    When folk want to discuss how we can feel MUTUALLY comfortable with calling each other friend, brother/sister/kinfolk, loved one, that'll be the day to get excited perhaps.
    ^Agreed.101010

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad my ancestry, as far as I know it is not complicated. As far as I know, I'm decendent from American slaves brought here from Africa. From exactly where I don't know. I'm also certain that I'm most likely mixed with SOMETHING, but with exactly what, I couldn't tell you so those details are of no consequence to me. So I'm perfectly happy to be either identified as either a black American or an African American, black or American. Just doesn't make me any difference. But for those of you who do have a preference for whatever reason that's cool by me. Unfortunately, here in American if you're black, you're most likely to be identified on sight or in other situations as African American. ***shrugs***
    Last edited by Napia Mia; 11-09-2012 at 11:24 PM.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

8. Likes QueenLocks, uzuri liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel *some* folk use it to denounce my American nationality and heritage. I have never even been to africa and have no culture, nationality, lanquage, etc.. from africa, so why call me african? Having african ancestry does not make one african.
    AMERICAN GIRL!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with the quotes from the article. The term "African American" always felt inaccurate and a little forced to me. I call myself "black" or "black American" but the term AA doesn't offend me or anything when other people use it.

11. Thanks renee1970 thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
    I feel *some* folk use it to denounce my American nationality and heritage. I have never even been to africa and have no culture, nationality, lanquage, etc.. from africa, so why call me african? Having african ancestry does not make one african.
    That's so not true. Dispite slave owners trying their best to strip Africans of the culture, heritage and traditions, slaves managed to retain quite a bit of culture and over hundreds of years much of that influence has helped shape who we are as a people in America. Even if you don't think it has, Africa has always been and will always be a part of our lives here in America.

You need to do some reading darlin. Here's a good start... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American_culture

Please do read more on your own.
    June 24th

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ most of those cultural things listed are things that were developed HERE in the us, and not necessarily things that were passed down from africa. for instance i seriously doubt many west african slaves would have brought ham hock eating with them on the slave ships considering most of west africa had been muslimized by the time whitey came with the crappy job offer.

but yeah i consider myself black rather than african american. i have met africans and even though we may look very similar we tend to be FAR FAR FAR away culturally. but it doesnt offend me when people say african american. i long for the day that we can all just be americans and not need to have a freaking qualifier in front of that.

14. Thanks Intellexual, Babylon, Micheli thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mojito Chica and Intell, thank you for "liking" my post. I really don't know how to explain how I feel about being called African American. I absolutely LOVE my connection to my African ancestry dispite the fact that I've never been to Africa. It makes me proud to know that my ancestor's spirit, culture and traditions have managed to endure over hundreds of years and influcence everything in this country from culture, religion, art, music, hair styles, music, literature and the list goes on. If you've EVER been in the audience at a movie theatre when black folks are talking to the screen, you're experiencing AFRICAN culture...the call and response. While it may annoy some people to no end, it tickles me to see how black folk enteract with the movie in that way. It is a practice that is UNIQUELY AFRICAN AMERICAN.
    June 24th

16. Thanks Urbanite thanked for this post
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast