Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default President Obama was "inappropriate" when he called his daughters beautiful....

http://toglobalist.org/2012/11/strong-smart-beautiful/

Strong, Smart, Beautiful?
    It was inappropriate for Obama to praise his daughters' beauty in his victory speech

Of all the adjectives that could be used to describe Sasha and Malia Obama, “strong”, “smart”, and “beautiful” were the ones President Obama chose in his victory speech on Tuesday night.
    It is difficult to imagine a president congratulating his sons for being handsome. So why was it appropriate for Obama to praise 11-year-old Sasha and 14-year-old Malia for their beauty?
    “Sasha and Malia, before our very eyes, you’re growing up to become two strong, smart, beautiful young women, just like your mom,” said the newly re-elected President. “And I am so proud of you guys.”
    Obama’s comments beg the question of why a girl’s beauty should be source of pride for her father— and why beauty should be a value laudedalongside strength and intelligence.
    The President may have been directing his comments at only two people, but he had the ears of the world, and on a day that should have been a triumph for women, his remarks stung.
    More women were elected to Congress than ever before. Congressman Todd Akin of “legitimate rape” notoriety was soundly defeated in Missouri. The party that advocates women’s right to choose prevailed.
    This campaign reminded us that the presidency is a symbolic role as much as a practical one. Voters overlooked Obama’s failure to revive the economy and reduce the deficit, ultimately pulling the lever for the candidate who has consistently come first in likability if not in job approval.
    Every evidence suggests that Obama takes his role as a figurehead seriously. On Father’s Day 2008, he famously chastised fathers who fail to engage with their children. He has made a point of going on “dates” with Michelle and spending time with his daughters in spite of his busy schedule.
    It is disappointing that on Tuesday, Obama— a liberal President seen as a champion for women’s rights— conformed to the ideology that sets up beauty as something young girls should aspire to. Women are voted into office with more and more regularity and Obama has appointed women to top Cabinet positions, but girls are still praised not only for their accomplishments but for their appearance.

************************************************** ************************************************** ****

I'm just gonna come out and say it. This white woman has a problem with the leader of the free world, who is allegedly the most powerful man on the planet, stating that black women and girls are beautiful. And it REALLY gets her goat that said man is also black. Her privledge is showing, and it's extra dingy.

~Love the hair you have~

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alls I can do is .
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think her issue is that deep down she thinks black women belong lower then white women on the beauty totem pole, I'd say it's tone deaf because as many commenters say she missed the context of Obama's statement and it's reaching. I understand what she's saying about society giving too much value to beauty as an attribute for women but she fails her arguments against Obama's statements are weak, starting with her saying that a parent wouldn't say his son is handsome.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

4. Likes Ororo, Denny liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

she's probably just mad that she's unattractive and no one ever called her beautiful

6. Likes Mojito Chica, Serbbral, uzuri liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with her on the inappropriate connotation which is being afforded as having been couched with a compliment. I don't share when taken aback by most refuges of patriarchal domination, as it's something I deal with without a great deal of collaboration, constructive dialogue and/or support. I also didn't feel comfortable when Romney mentioned that his wife would have been a great First Lady. It felt a bit Stepford'ish as a compliment, as if she's well prepared to not embarrass or emasculate him, and also left me to consider if it was a passive aggressive criticism of Mrs. Obama.

In all, these compliments seem nothing like and I have recounted many times having my beauty ignored while that of my sisters was affirmed. Being beautiful and handsome are scarcely alike and my beauty was never ever regarded.

In that, I know all to well when people are speaking of beauty aesthetically and/or in a gender biased and thusly patronizing fashion. A kind oppressor is an oppressor all the same. I don't disagree with the context being inappropriate, as it has been noted that Obama's main public address to black men was a harsh admonishment to black men struggling to be active and engaged fathers. It all feels cold, opportunistic, and self-aggrandizing in that regard (just as I felt about Romney supposedly giving his wife a nod for being up for the challenges of being a flattering First Lady).

It's easy to hide being politics and social favor to avoid discussing the refuges of socially affirming or feminist-friendly patriarchal domination. However, praising, exclusively at that, females for beauty lends more to aesthetics and gender conditioning/subjugation than some compliment of character and substance.

Otherwise, if the communications are rather seeming like some fecal matter to ridicule and turn one's nose up about, perhaps it might be better to not share it with others. Shit does stink, but this particular fecal matter is seeming more like the mounting residue of socially affirming patriarchal domination rather than some bitter White woman who doesn't want to see black women being regarded for their physical beauty or a black man praising them for as much. All that ridicule goes to sidestep the conditioning and subjugating because of social regard for a particular fellow rather than the damages of less (seemingly) flattering perspectives within said realm.

So long as patriachal domination is still ongoing and any man can have a good night's sleep, there's more work that each man and woman can do. Even if I agreed with Obama's politics and work performance, I don't think that a sexist regard for his daughters on a national stage is any less WTF than only taking out serious time to regard black men when he's going after what very few black men are being left civilian-side to be slaves to the baby fathering complex.
    Last edited by Intellexual; 11-10-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    2009: Transitioned
    2020: Mature, Freeformed Locs

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this comment given by Brittney:

B.) A Black father affirming the strength, intelligence and beauty of Black girls in such a public way is absolutely feminist in a world that casts Black women and girls as unintelligent, ugly, ignorant, conniving, and angry. This is why it is necessary to have an intersectional critique with your feminism. The idea that beauty politics oppress all women the same way is something that has been critique for a good long while now in feminist theorizing.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That comes from the same school of subjugation and divisiveness which made it okay for female feminists to sell out while portraying Stacey Dash as a feckless, attention whoring, sex commodity based on who she was supporting rather than standing up with her for her rights and privileges to express those ideals. It's the same school that "appreciates" the difficulties of getting justice for unsanctioned prostitutes or even unashamed promiscuous women who are raped (as a distinct rather than more probable class of alleged victims, in the light of how society and oppressive, self-loathing, and/or hateful men are sourcing and regarding said women). There is a backlash to those ideals which men impose on women as "feminine" virtues. This is the essence of feminist-friendly patriarchal domination.

The idea that a sexist compliment should be uplifting for black women or that it actually can be speaks to the ills we're confronting rather than the validity of such a condescending comment (from Obama, Romney, and any others).
    Last edited by Intellexual; 11-10-2012 at 05:57 AM.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intellexual View Post
    I agree with her on the inappropriate connotation which is being afforded as having been couched with a compliment. I don't share when taken aback by most refuges of patriarchal domination, as it's something I deal with without a great deal of collaboration, constructive dialogue and/or support. I also didn't feel comfortable when Romney mentioned that his wife would have been a great First Lady. It felt a bit Stepford'ish as a compliment, as if she's well prepared to not embarrass or emasculate him, and also left me to consider if it was a passive aggressive criticism of Mrs. Obama.

Exactly what I was thinking. I thought I was reaching there. Maybe he meant she'd be more of a hidden or seen-and-not-heard kind of First Lady.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. I thought I was reaching there. Maybe he meant she'd be more of a hidden or seen-and-not-heard kind of First Lady.
    Maybe I missed it, but he didn't take any time therein to put his perception of our First Lady into perspective before conveying his disappointment that the US didn't get to experience (his wife as) a great. That sort of recklessness doesn't seem to me as likely unintended rather than a subconscious running a bit loose in a moment of perceived political correctness and/or rectitude. Otherwise, how in the fugg are you sighing with disappointment about who is (not) the First Lady?

ETA: It was wonderful rather than great. Also, do note how he regarded Ryan versus Mrs. Romney. His public regard for her value was as a woman/wife and for her "care" and "compassion" whereas Ryan was regarded as the second best choice behind his wife for matters of character and direct contribution which will persist beyond their campaign. As for his wife, he did note that she's always been a wonderful First Lady for him. I'm saying though. How is it a compliment for him to say that his wife gets a thumbs up and nod for being a solid wife and First Lady but Ryan gets the full court press and exultation as being a valuable force for our future. Was that to be a jab at McCain and particularly Palin too, perhaps?
    Last edited by Intellexual; 11-10-2012 at 06:29 AM.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intellexual View Post
    That comes from the same school of subjugation and divisiveness which made it okay for female feminists to sell out while portraying Stacey Dash as a feckless, attention whoring, sex commodity based on who she was supporting rather than standing up with her for her rights and privileges to express those ideals.

It's the same school that "appreciates" the difficulties of getting justice for unsanctioned prostitutes or even unashamed promiscuous women who are raped (as a distinct rather than more probable class of alleged victims, in the light of how society and oppressive, self-loathing, and/or hateful men are sourcing and regarding said women). There is a backlash to those ideals which men impose on women as "feminine" virtues. This is the essence of feminist-friendly patriarchal domination.

The idea that a sexist compliment should be uplifting for black women or that it actually can be speaks to the ills we're confronting rather than the validity of such a condescending comment (from Obama, Romney, and any others).
    Can you clarify what you meant by the emboldened line, esp the "as a distinct rather than more probable class of alleged victims" part?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast