toriq is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default There's gotta be ways of dealing with intense menstrual cramps.

I usually always have cramps on the first day of my period, but lately, maybe over the last two years, it seems like the cramping pain has increased and increased. And within the last year, the days of pain is extended too: instead of 1 day of intense cramping, it became 2 days of intense cramping, and even more recently 3 or 4 days. (Emphasis on "intense", not regular or mild like typical midweek periods.) Very unheard of for me anyways.

I'm getting an ultrasound for fibroids in 2 weeks just to see if this is the reason (bc i have heavy bleeding too). But until then, i have tried:
    -NSAIDs, mostly ibuprofen
    -cramp bark extract
    -Midol
    -bananas
    -red raspberry leaf tea
    -other store-bought teas for PMS
    -flaxseed oil (i took it daily regardless of period)
    -something hot on my belly

....and none of them worked.
    The only thing i noticed helped was doing some mild exercising when crampy,
    however this isn't useful if it's my sleep time.
    This morning i took a 200mg Advil (never really take it) and it seems to be helping,
    you just have to take it right at the onset of cramps.

So any cramp relief suggestions that you all have that work??
    reflect...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if this is an option, but I have read that the Mirena IUD helps to rid some women of bad cramping and heavy bleeding. Every woman is different obviously, so individual results may vary. It might be worth talking to your doctor about this device.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Start taking your pain meds BEFORE you are in a great deal of pain. If you are regular and know when your period will start, start taking the meds a few days before. This does help. Exercise also helps but you have to be consistent and go balls to the wall.

4. Likes KB, Ororo, Karibana liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That's what I do. I'm so in tune with my body now that I know when and how many to take. It is NOT a game!
    When I had insurance I used to have a prescription for 800mg ibuprofen. Now I just take 2-3 200mg ibuprofens at a time to supplement and it works.

Lastly, Toriq, I've been seeing this infographic floating around, so I'm glad that you're getting an ultrasound soon. I hope you get an answer.

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could it be related to your diet? All of my symptoms, especially cramps, are tied to how much caffeine I have. Something you're eating or drinking affects your cycle?
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was in college I was hospitalized twice for severe cramps. In both cases they gave me a muscle relaxant and prescription-strength Anaprox (now available OTC as Aleve). I'm guessing they don't do this as much anymore...definitely make sure it's not a sign of something more serious. I also agree that you should pay attention to what you're eating.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand what you're going through and I did go through severe, crippling cramping on and off my teen and early 20's years. The doctors told me that it was hormonal and wanted to put me on BC. I opted for progesterone creams since BCs make me throw up and feel sick. It worked somewhat well for a few years, but my breasts grew huge and the cramping really didn't dull enough for me (even with pain pills). A while later, I tested positive for a systemic yeast infection on a non-related health issue. After a week's treatment of duflican, the cramping STOPPED. I mean it literally stopped and I haven't had cramps for years now. I was on the duflican treatment a couple a weeks before my cycle started, so I can't think of anything else that could have helped me.

Sounds like a crazy long shot, but if you are going to the doctor anytime soon for treatment on your cramping, see if you can get tested for a stool test for a systemic yeast infection. That microbe can really do a number on your physical and mental health without you even realizing it.
    By NP member Vavoon. This is me 24/7/365 lol

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've noticed over the years that my body becomes resistant against against drugs so I just switch it up. Right now I'm using Pamprin and it works wonders.
    Last hit of creamy crack: 11/24/09
    BC: 10/26/2010
    Staples: Shealoe, EVOO, CO, Jojoba oil, HE HH, Avg

toriq is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RE: Diet - Well because i hate how caffeine makes me feel, i stay away from it usually, except in chocolate. But about 4 weeks ago i started a job and on the first week that had coffee available that ended up a drinking. So with the exception of that week, and some chocolate, i don't really consume caffeine. Sugar & dairy however....

RE: Yeast - Well that's the first time i heard of using an antifungal for cramps. i HAVE been ODing on sugar lately which could add to the yeast problem. i'll see if they could do that.

RE: Drugs - Man i do NOT want to take birth control for cramps; i have heard people do that, but i really don't want to use it unless i have to. And in the beginning of this year i had a tooth pulled which had me popping Vicodin (ineffective) and Ibuprofen left and right which i kinda feel did a number on my stomach. PLUS after that, ibuprofen no longer worked for my periods. So i'm being VERY cautious with my dosage.

i think i need to really step my exercise up some more, drink LOTS of water, and take an Advil (which surprisingly my cramps responded to) when needed 'til my appointment. Thanks yall.
    reflect...

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take aleve now, instead of ibuprofen. Works better and I start before my period starts. Also, if you're not, you might want to try a menstrual cup. Some people have reported lighter cramping with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast