Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bhop13 View Post
    Could it be related to your diet? All of my symptoms, especially cramps, are tied to how much caffeine I have. Something you're eating or drinking affects your cycle?
    ^This. When I had cramps (for maybe a year) trigger foods like caffeine, spicy, cold foods, and/or taking pain relievers on an empty stomach irritated my stomach for a half day. Before BC's, avoiding the trigger list in addition to exercise eased the symptoms. With BC's no cramps at all. After BC's... feel nothing.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toriq View Post
    RE: Diet - Well because i hate how caffeine makes me feel, i stay away from it usually, except in chocolate. But about 4 weeks ago i started a job and on the first week that had coffee available that ended up a drinking. So with the exception of that week, and some chocolate, i don't really consume caffeine. Sugar & dairy however....
    I've noticed a direct connection between my cramps and the amount of sugar I consume.

Over the years my cramps' intensity has lessened. But their connection to sugar hasn't changed.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

3. Thanks Ororo thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olympia621 View Post
    Start taking your pain meds BEFORE you are in a great deal of pain. If you are regular and know when your period will start, start taking the meds a few days before. This does help. Exercise also helps but you have to be consistent and go balls to the wall.
    My period was never regular, but I always had "signs" that I was about to start my period. Very, very faint and extremely brief feelings of (I don't even know how to discribe it) pain? discomfort? flutter? ***shakes my head*** but I always felt IT. I have to say that I was well into adulthood before I realized that those feelings were a sign that I was getting ready to start my period. It's so incredibly faint and brief (like a moment) that I could easily ignore them and forget.

That said, OP one way or the other perhaps you are fairly certain when your period starts. I too used to have relentless horrible cramps. Turns out they were directly linked to my fibroids which I eventually had removed. But before I did my cramps were so bad that the only way I could function was to take two to three tylenols before hand. Then if I started feeling ANYTHING I would take two more. I would do that throughout my period and that's the ONLY way I could keep the pain down.

I have to say that worked pretty well. So I agree, the only way to get a handle on it was to never let it set in at all. I recently had to do this for a friggin tooth ache as well.

You can actually take acetaminophen (tylenol) and ibueprophen at the same time because they're both metabolized by the body differently. A dentist told me that several years ago. I had a severe tooth ache and couldn't get in to see a dentist right away. I followed his advice and had to do that for two weeks straight. The exposed nerve eventually died before I got into see the dentist, but trust when I say I had the kind of pain that would made me want to shoot myself in the damn head if I'd had a gun. ***shakes my head at that memory***

Oh, something else to know is that 800 mg of ibueprophen is considered prescription strength. That's FOUR 200 mg tablets, but I've actually had the 800 mg tabs before. When I had my car accident back in September, the emergency room prescribed 600 mg strength tablets. Over the counter, that would be THREE 200 mg tablets.

Check with your doc or pharmacist first before you do the combo pill thing, don't want you ODing based on something I said. Also you might check with you doc to get a prescription for 6 or 8 hundred mg of ibueprophen just to keep on hand for your cramps.
    Last edited by Napia Mia; 12-15-2012 at 04:27 PM.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

5. Thanks Ororo thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently watched a video by HeyFranHey on using blackstrap molasses for menstrual cramps

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?d...name=foodspice a bit more about it

7. Thanks Ororo thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading up in black cohosh most people recommend for women going through menopause. But some articles say its good for pms and cramps and seems like a natural way to deal with monthly problems also.
    Link: http://health.howstuffworks.com/well...l-remedies.htm

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dropping dairy made a WORLD of difference for me.

Molasses is supposed to help with fibroids as well.
    It's Cheap to be Pank. Come to the Pank Side.

10. Thanks akamsnikki thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me preface this by saying I am not a doctor and thus the following should not be construed as medical advice:

I used to have SEVERE cramps a few years ago. I'm talking balled over in the fetus position, 800mg of motrin every 4 hours, heat pack severe.

I started looking up natural remedies to alleviate severe cramps. In addition, I went to my doctor, who confirmed I had fibroids. I elected to not have surgery because I want kids.

That said, I purchased an herb called Vitex (chasteberry tree). I also purchased Black Cohosh and a female hormone blend which I used after taking the Vitex.

The Vitex takes a little time to get into your system to work, but when it does it WORKS! My TOTM was never irregular, just heavy with severe cramping.

I took the Vitex and it cleaned me out, if you know what I mean. I'm talking passing so many clots and tissue I got scared. I had to resort to using the equivalent of post-partum maxi pads.

After research though, I learned that it helps rid the uterus of old blood and tissue that is dark (which mine was) and that your subsequent cycles should present with brighter, red blood and tissue. The next cycle presented with brighter blood and tissue. I kind of slacked off taking it but will continue soon.

I was also anovulatory 9-10/12 cycles a year and the Vitex helped me to ovulate, even though I was and am not trying to conceive.

I am also working out more, drinking more water, consuming less sugars/carbs, less red meat and minimize the amount of dairy intake and that has help considerably as well.

I say do your research and find ways to help that are non-invasive and natural. I also read that certain herbs eliminate uterine cysts which also contribute to cramps.

12. Thanks winter1820, Ororo thanked for this post
    Likes Soul Rebel liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also take vitex and sometimes a cyst tea that contains vitex (chasteberry tree), and after reading the reviews most women notice the success they get from reduced menstrual cramps.

These two articles offer great information on vitex
    http://wellnessmama.com/8314/herb-profile-vitex/
    webmd.com
    Last edited by winter1820; 01-20-2014 at 05:31 PM.

14. Thanks Ororo thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: There's gotta be ways of dealing with intense menstrual cramps.

I am still doing the chaste tree and St Johns wort. I'm stopping the st Johns, though. I don't believe it has done much over the last several months.

Yesterday was day 1 of my period. I made the mistake of eating a chicken pesto panini and sent myself into some cramps and misery. Before that I had little cramping and I had eaten a big salad with leafy stuff and some cranberries, pumpkin seeds and poppy seed dressing. I was misetable for hours and then took a few TB of Unsulphured organic blackstrap molasses. Within minutes, my nausea was gone and my pain had lessened. I felt more energy- I had felt do dull and lethargic. The 2 Aleve I took did diddly for me, but that works best taken before the period.

The first time I took molasses for pms sevreal months aho, it did not do a thing, so I was expecting the same reault. I wonder if it could still be placebo effect. Wouldn't mattern anyway. There was a 180 degree change in how I felt and I'm still feeling that way today.

Y'know, now I can usually eat "no no" foods like bread and pasta and not get cramps or have much pain. I attribute that to chastetree. I used to (stupidly) eat these foods on day 1 of my period and then be Regretting and Miserable. Yesterday was like this. I think it's because I have been eating so much dairy in the last few weeks. Cooking with milk and eating cheese more often.
    Last edited by Ororo; 04-02-2015 at 09:58 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: There's gotta be ways of dealing with intense menstrual cramps.

Fresh ginger works for me. Half an inch of fresh ginger root dipped in honey and I am good to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12