Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good information in this thread. I just wanted to say that when ACV rinse is recommended, it really needs to be ACV SOAK. If you have heavy build up that you want to get all out, it might take a bit more than just pouring the acv on and rinsing it out. The Dawn is a good idea too, because it cuts grease. After you get it all out, you might reevaluate the products you are using to determine the root of the problem. I see products all the time that I want to try, but I can't because I don't want to deal with build up later on down the road.

2. Thanks coalblacklocs, jkui29 thanked for this post
    Likes Karibana, Tierras liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might want to stay away from the baking soda mixed with ACV. Diluted ACV is enough. The baking soda can precipitate out (water dries up leaving sediment behind) and lodge inside of your locks. Baking soda is cool when locks are immature. Once locks are solid and mature(3+years and on....), the smallest particle WILL get stuck inside. Once a granule slides in, it's pretty much in. Paul Mitchell Three shampoo is a good clarifying shampoo, some have success with Dawn detergent and a dilution of Vodka. Fill up a basin of hot water(kitchen sink) and soak your locks with 3 capfuls of your preferred solution for 30 minutes-squeeze and run fingers through your hair while they soak.. Rinse thoroughly, then wash. You should only wash by spritzing your locks with a diluted solution of water with a capful of shampoo. Spray your scalp ONLY. Work the lather through to your ends, squeeze, rinse, continue until all clear. Follow up with ACV rinse. You will have to work hard to make sure that stuff does not settle inside the matrix of your lock. I hope this works for you. Come back and let us know and stay away from heavy products that leave a film behind. The wrong products can change the electric charge of the hair and actually attracts lint and debris. I found both of those product lines to be too much for my locks.

You can moisturize with some aloe vera juice and maybe a bit of jojoba oil to moisturize and refreshen without all the build up. Wash once a week to keep buildup low with mature locks.

You are not alone, but what you are dealing with is excessive and your health comes first. The last thing you want is a fungal infection that impacts your dermal layer and spreads. Keep us posted.

-------------

*if the BS works for you cool. After 7 years of locking, I'm speaking from a different place. A place post baking sodas, clays, etc. Locks post 3 years (tight, hard, compact, thinner, dense) should not be treated the same as locks that are still forming(spongier, easier to penetrate,looser) period. They are at a different stage that requires more care and attention. Ironically, I've come to learn that mature locks should be babied and baby locks should be ignored.

Once mature, it's even more important to stay up on cleansing AND keeping locks as dry as possible (especially if you live in cold climates) because mature locks trap 'life': debris, lint, scalp shedding, pollutants, moisture, particles, dust... It can take 2-3 years before you 'see' product build up appear .

If you have had the experience of finding things like white bands of build up or lint across your locks yet, it's one of 3 things:

You have not opened up your locks to peak in there
    You die your hair or have your hair maintained by someone else who dies it 'from' you
    Your locks are not older than 3 years yet(tighten, harden, more dense and compact, elongate)
    You know it and you are hiding it and deciding to live with it

Damp locks with trapped debris leads to wet -towel smelling, sour locks which means that mildew is growing and it wraps around your hair strand, incubates, spreads and is not released from your lock matrix. it can be deactivated, but that's temporary, until the next piece of debris hits it and it starts growing and spreading again. By the time mildew is smelled, it's too far gone and the chemistry of the inside of the lock has changed. It's extremely difficult to truly reach and clean those hair strands. I fear your situation is pretty severe, but I hope these tips help.

*Back to lurking. More than happy to address direct inquiries to my nbox.
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 12-08-2012 at 09:04 PM.
    KnottyAuthor aka Cheleski

The Knotty Truth Series: The OG natural hair care book series on natural hair,culture & science

4. Thanks Sohful1 thanked for this post
    Likes Claire76, ~GAN~, YuYu liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^

I tried working with baking soda when my hair was loose. Getting it out of my scalp was a challenge.

Anything that's in the form of a powder tends to get trapped in my hair.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

6. Thanks KnottyAuthor thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's strange, I have never had that problem. Is baking soda water soluble?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Me either. If anything it makes my hair extraordinarily clean.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I can tell baking soda is water soluble, and I, like the two directly above me, have never had a problem getting it out of my loose hair or my locs. My hair/locs always feels extra clean when I use it. Having said that, since being loc'ed I have been a very frequent washer/rinser.

Also, I think the amount of BS used, and how, may make a difference.

I loves me some baking soda on my locs.
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

10. Thanks Lockolatte thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it makes a difference as to whether or not you completely submerge your locs in water? I could see having that trouble in the shower. But I always put my ear plugs in and completely lay down in the bath tub and let my locs soak that way.

This may sound really stupid but, ever since I learned how to cloth diaper my kids (they are both out of diapers now) , I started to really appreciate the value of completely submerging things in water to thoroughly wash them. We went through the process of purchasing a new washing machine during that time, and energy efficient washing machines that just "showered" the diapers just did. not. cut. it. Like, you know, AT ALL. In an epic way. The only thing that worked was good ole fashioned washing machines that use too much water and completely submerge the clothing.

And ever since then, it just made me appreciate how certain things don't dissolve out of things unless they are completely submerged in water and allowed to soak for a bit. This little life lesson has affected everything I clean now, including my locs.
    Last edited by coalblacklocs; 12-08-2012 at 03:26 AM.

12. Likes Lockolatte, OHR, Sohful1, NappilyT liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The white gunk thing is why I started washing my locs and scalp with a 2 teaspoons of baking soda added to 1/2 cup of my shampoo twice a month. It gets my locs super squeaky clean. 7 years and I haven't had a problem since.

14. Likes Lockolatte liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KoilyLocGirl View Post
    As far as I can tell baking soda is water soluble, and I, like the two directly above me, have never had a problem getting it out of my loose hair or my locs. My hair/locs always feels extra clean when I use it. Having said that, since being loc'ed I have been a very frequent washer/rinser.

Also, I think the amount of BS used, and how, may make a difference.

I loves me some baking soda on my locs.
    Oh, it came out of my hair. I never said that it didn't.

It was just a pain in the butt. Though it wasn't as annoying as henna.

And I've always washed my hair properly. If something's in there, I believe in rinsing, scrubbing, etc., for however long it takes.
    I've come to learn that mature locks should be babied and baby locks should be ignored.
    A friend of mine basically says the same thing. Great advice, Knotty.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't have any problems rinsing out the baking soda from my deep cleanse either but maybe it depends on how it is used and how it's applied? Mine was completely disolved before I dunked my hair in the mixture. Good lord that stuff is drying...!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast