Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Wait, What?!!!?

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

2. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too went straight from a relaxer to locks. I BCed right into locks. I just finished taking mines down l last weekend. They were't as long as yours though. Maybe you can cut some of your locks to a shorter length, and then start taking them down, or freeform a little before you take them down.

Do some research while you are deciding. That is what I did. I am still in a learning process, but I have no regrets and I am loving my loose hair. Its actually not as hard as I thought it would be. Taking care of my loose natural hair is actually more simple for me. Just keep it simple.

I will lock again one day. Next time it will be my original choice sister locks.

Your locks are beautiful by the way.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KnottyAuthor View Post
    Yup, just did it, finished a few days ago. I cut them in June to a bob. Then began taking them down in August. Once take down was complete, my hair loosed was near my belly button before I trimmed the bad ends off, now arm pit. The bob helped me mentally to slowly transition out of my locks. I promised myself that if cutting didn't resolve things, my only option would be take-down. After giving it a few months, take down it was. I enjoyed my bob immensely, no regrets. Things were lighter, I could still do a bun and wash/drying times were reduced significantly! I could set and curl my hair on pipe cleaners, go about my business and it would be dry quickly. THat was a BIG deal to me bc cold Ohio winters and damp, mature locks. The need to keep my locks dry and clean outweighed the length thing after surpassing bra-strap length. Now loose, I'm excited to go into stores and try a few things out. When I left the loose game, the only games in town were mail order from Ms. Jesse and Kinky Curly, if you had 100 bucks to gamble on S/H. I guess it might have been the same for you. It's a whole new journey and I'm so much wiser this go 'round loose. Feel free to view my album. It's a new journey for sure....but just as exciting and hard mentally and physically. The best with whatever you decide is best for you.......
    Yeah...when I started my locks there were very little products that catered to natural hair. Now 10 years later there are so many choices. How do I access your album? Is it on your fotki? If so it's restricted.

5. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IndividualME View Post
    I too went straight from a relaxer to locks. I BCed right into locks. I just finished taking mines down l last weekend. They were't as long as yours though. Maybe you can cut some of your locks to a shorter length, and then start taking them down, or freeform a little before you take them down.

Do some research while you are deciding. That is what I did. I am still in a learning process, but I have no regrets and I am loving my loose hair. Its actually not as hard as I thought it would be. Taking care of my loose natural hair is actually more simple for me. Just keep it simple.

I will lock again one day. Next time it will be my original choice sister locks.

Your locks are beautiful by the way.
    Thanks!

What I'm also worried about is what to do with my hair and working out. I go to the gym three times a week. Locs are so convenient. I just pile them up on top of my hair and go. Then afterwards just take them down and spritz. Takes less than a minute. I'm going to have to carve out some time to deal with TWAs post-gym.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, just did it, finished a few days ago. I cut them in June to a bob. Then began taking them down in August. Once take down was complete, my hair loosed was near my belly button before I trimmed the bad ends off, now arm pit. The bob helped me mentally to slowly transition out of my locks. I promised myself that if cutting didn't resolve things, my only option would be take-down. After giving it a few months, take down it was. I enjoyed my bob immensely, no regrets. Things were lighter, I could still do a bun and wash/drying times were reduced significantly! I could set and curl my hair on pipe cleaners, go about my business and it would be dry quickly. THat was a BIG deal to me bc cold Ohio winters and damp, mature locks. The need to keep my locks dry and clean outweighed the length thing after surpassing bra-strap length. Now loose, I'm excited to go into stores and try a few things out. When I left the loose game, the only games in town were mail order from Ms. Jesse and Kinky Curly, if you had 100 bucks to gamble on S/H. I guess it might have been the same for you. It's a whole new journey and I'm so much wiser this go 'round loose. Feel free to view my album. It's a new journey for sure....but just as exciting and hard mentally and physically. The best with whatever you decide is best for you.......
    You did what!!!!!!! OK time to take Knotty off the pedestal She is human after all lol All the best with your new journey.
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

8. Likes Karibana, KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone on here gave great suggestions. It might be a good idea to cut them a little shorter and wear some braidouts in order to mask the new growth a bit until you're ready to part with your locs. That way the transition might be less noticeable if you decide to keep your locs a little a longer and not pick them out. A few weeks ago I cut my latched locs to chin length and then I started picking them out. I didn't want to BC because i've done that twice already.
    Natural since Dec. 2003
    https://www.youtube.com/user/DynamicRunner

10. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I swear, the "old timers" in here got me feeling like there's a locopalypse ! Cutting and taking down their locs and ish!!
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

12. Likes AneesahJ, QueenLocks, Alisondra liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I began braidlocking four months into my transition. A month or so after my first year with that set of locs, I BC'd into a twa. I maintained via latching prior and used TSTs most often in between to gently manipulate new growth. If I had it all to do over again, I'd have paid someone to take down my locs or done it myself (I took down my most recent installation by myself for reasons). TSTs were very convenient for long stretches between retis or anything else (BC in my first case).
    If your import amid discussion is to ridicule, sabotage, and/or dismiss, you will no longer receive the privilege of my attention. Passive aggressive behaviors are a defense mechanism of oppressed and ultimately even self-defeated persons. Disregarding and/or ridiculing the concerns of others doesn't legitimize or address your own. You have betrayed a critical trust I must have in you that you are engaging or asking of me to enhance each of our perspectives rather than ridicule mine or reaffirm your own biases. Express your own concerns and/or support your own ideals. Your antics reek of repression and aren't constructive.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*faints*
    ~~Started Locks (2STs): April 20, 2006~~
    Fotki

15. Likes KnottyAuthor liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has been my research and all of your thoughts and ideas have been soooo helpful. I've been loc'd for 4 years and my hair is down to the middle of my back (past the bra latch) and I'm getting tired of them also. I don't want to cut them bc I honestly miss my loose hair...I want it back. I'm giving myself about a month and a half to research, but I think I am going to comb my locs down. I'm a teacher, so I may do this during one of my next breaks (Easter or something since it'll be a week off). Nervous? yes! But, I'm ready!
    [color=#993399][i][SIZE=2]~Jacqueline Chanel
    A work in progress..[/color][/i][/SIZE]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast