Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dramajcs View Post
    This has been my research and all of your thoughts and ideas have been soooo helpful. I've been loc'd for 4 years and my hair is down to the middle of my back (past the bra latch) and I'm getting tired of them also. I don't want to cut them bc I honestly miss my loose hair...I want it back. I'm giving myself about a month and a half to research, but I think I am going to comb my locs down. I'm a teacher, so I may do this during one of my next breaks (Easter or something since it'll be a week off). Nervous? yes! But, I'm ready!

Let me tell ya...I've been doing ALOT of research on transitioning out of locs and there is not much out there besides the combing out method which is not an option for me because I do not have the patience for that. Plus I don't like the idea of tearing at my locs. I latchhook my locs so taking them apart would be a lot more tedious. Plus I'm just not that obsessed with length to do the combing out method. I haven't tightened my hair in 6 weeks (going on 7). I'm about 90% sure I want to leave behind my locs and try growing them out to where I have enough new growth to where I can do finger/comb coils. It's what I started off with to grow my locs except I'll be washing them out every week. Coils just seems like a better option for me as a short hair style to start out with since I work out a lot. So basically now instead of tightening my roots I go through it after every wash and de-tangle the roots to keep them from meshing. I've been doing this every week.

2. Likes QueenLocks liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Growing out locs, transitioning to loose hair: Has anybody done it?

Quote Originally Posted by wannabenappy View Post
    I've had my locs for 10 years and 2 months...about as long as I've been a member on nappturality. I went straight from a relaxer to locs starting with comb coils and now I have locs that span to the middle of my back. I always knew I wouldn't keep my locs forever and now that it's been a decade I'm starting to get that itch for a change. I'm thinking my last tightening two nights ago will be my last. Long locs are great but the maintenance and constant lint, build up (see my recent "loc emergency" post) is starting to wane on me. It takes about 6 hours to latch hook my hair (not counting the lint picking afterwards). Summers with all this hair is brutal! I think it's time to let them go but I'm not ready to jump straight away into the world of loose hair by cutting it all off. I know NOTHING of loose natural hair plus it's getting cold and my hair keeps me warm. I'm not interested in picking out my locs. I just don't have that kind of time or patience. I'd like about 6 months of new growth to work with. That'll give me some time to get to know my roots. The question is what to do with the new growth in the meantime? Has anybody done this before? Here's a pic from my last tightening two nights ago:

you are so beautiful... I've never seen hair this thick...
    Palm Rolling... 125 locs... Nature's Protein Gelee

Naturals Salon & Spa... http://gotlocsva.com/

http://www.afropedea.org/pics

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123