Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Growing out locs, transitioning to loose hair: Has anybody done it?

I've had my locs for 10 years and 2 months...about as long as I've been a member on nappturality. I went straight from a relaxer to locs starting with comb coils and now I have locs that span to the middle of my back. I always knew I wouldn't keep my locs forever and now that it's been a decade I'm starting to get that itch for a change. I'm thinking my last tightening two nights ago will be my last. Long locs are great but the maintenance and constant lint, build up (see my recent "loc emergency" post) is starting to wane on me. It takes about 6 hours to latch hook my hair (not counting the lint picking afterwards). Summers with all this hair is brutal! I think it's time to let them go but I'm not ready to jump straight away into the world of loose hair by cutting it all off. I know NOTHING of loose natural hair plus it's getting cold and my hair keeps me warm. I'm not interested in picking out my locs. I just don't have that kind of time or patience. I'd like about 6 months of new growth to work with. That'll give me some time to get to know my roots. The question is what to do with the new growth in the meantime? Has anybody done this before? Here's a pic from my last tightening two nights ago:

2. Thanks AneesahJ thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings!
    Best of luck to whatever you decide to do. I had my first set of locks over 8 years, and cut them in half, and picked them out. (The last few yrs. I didn't "latch" but had them palm-rolled).... It took me 3 weeks, and I had 5-7 inches of loose natural hair after that.... but! a month later I was tired of pulling apart my hair (detangeling -sp?) and braided my hair up to re-lock.
    My 2nd set is now 5 yrs, http://queenlocks.wordpress.com and I just did another Re-ti, but for 2013 I plan to "free-form" my locks. I already "married" a bunch of locks during the last two years. (from 316 to 200 now)
    You might just be "tired" of the latch method. (just guessing) This is why I plan to "free-form" and after 3-4 months, I might change my mind again.
    (I won't know 'til I try this)
    Also for the summer months, I pin my locks up. That is the great thing about shoulder-length and beyond locks, there are plenty of "up-do" styles - See Chescalocs on YouTube for tutorials....
    I apologize if this is too long of a rant, but your thread/post was the first one I saw this morning. I just wanted to share my .25 cents.

Take care~

http://www.Queenlocks.com

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QueenLocks View Post
    Greetings!
    Best of luck to whatever you decide to do. I had my first set of locks over 8 years, and cut them in half, and picked them out. (The last few yrs. I didn't "latch" but had them palm-rolled).... It took me 3 weeks, and I had 5-7 inches of loose natural hair after that.... but! a month later I was tired of pulling apart my hair (detangeling -sp?) and braided my hair up to re-lock.
    My 2nd set is now 5 yrs, http://queenlocks.wordpress.com and I just did another Re-ti, but for 2013 I plan to "free-form" my locks. I already "married" a bunch of locks during the last two years. (from 316 to 200 now)
    You might just be "tired" of the latch method. (just guessing) This is why I plan to "free-form" and after 3-4 months, I might change my mind again.
    (I won't know 'til I try this)
    Also for the summer months, I pin my locks up. That is the great thing about shoulder-length and beyond locks, there are plenty of "up-do" styles - See Chescalocs on YouTube for tutorials....
    I apologize if this is too long of a rant, but your thread/post was the first one I saw this morning. I just wanted to share my .25 cents.

Take care~

http://www.Queenlocks.com
    Thanks! Yeah, I've been following Chescalocs for years. I think I'm just ready for a change. I dunno. In about about 4 weeks when all my new growth comes in I might change my mind. I've only been able to find one person on the whole world wide web that grew out their locks for . I'm wanting to go longer than that. I'd have to 1) Think about keeping the roots moisturized and detangled on a daily basis to keep them from locking on their own. 2) Styling. Maybe lots of slicked back styles with headbands/scarfs 3) The weight of the locs on my roots. I know I will probably slowly loose some locs along the way because they'll break of from the weight.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few questions:

Have you considered combining your locs in order to reduce your latching time?

Have you considered getting them cut down, say to SL, to deal with all that warmth down your back in summer?

But if are truly ready to go loose:

No, you can't transition to loose hair, simply because locking is an ongoing process. Latching is only about having neat roots, if you stop doing anything to your locs you'd now be a freeformer. Maybe you could use conditioner to impede the matting process but that depends on your texture, the nappier parts of my hair locked in spite of my using it.

If you don't want to start with TWA, then you'll have to pick your locs out. It is possible you have strands that are as long as your loc but your terminal length could be shorter so I suggest you first start by picking out a few to have a sense of how long your loose hair is. Then I suggest you cut you locs to that length and take it from there. Picking out locs is a long enough process that you shouldn't waste time picking hair that has been shed already.

HTH.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

6. Likes gigglezk liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I should just get it cut shoulder length, idk. Not sure what to expect with my loose hair. When I use to go to a loctician in the early stages she told me I have 5 different textures of hair going on. I have a lot of loose fluffy hair from the front to the crown area and going from there toward the back it gets progressively coily and kinky in texture. She started latch-hooking because the front would come a loose so quickly because it was softer. Between going to the gym and hot, humid summers in the south palm rolling that part of my hair just wasn't cutting it. I would worry more about my roots on the back part of my hair locking up than the front. Maintaining my roots with some sort of detangler on a daily basis would be a lot of maintenance.

*sigh* I dunno...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also went straight from a relaxer to locs! I just picked out my locs this past weekend. It had been about 6 weeks since I last did a reti. I cut my locs down to about an inch and picked them out from there. I have a twa but I'm gonna keep it braided up for awhile. I'm totally lost. lol! Maybe since I'm still new to loose hair, it seems to take a lot of time to maintain, even with it being short.

Cutting them may not be a bad idea, or combining them like Karibana suggested. I'll loc again eventually but I do want to experiment with loose hair for awhile. What I would suggest is doing some research on loose hair so you can be prepared and have a game plan once you cut your locs. I'm learning more about PH balance and learning my different textures so I know how to maintain my twa effectively. Also understanding density, porosity, and the thickness/thinness of each strand. Wish I had done that BEFORE taking down my locs. The products I used as a transitioner, and of course loc'd, are not working well with my twa.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will never wear down-my-back locks again. . .too heavy and cumbersome. I keep mine now somewhere between ear and shoulder-length, they look real cute that way and are hassle-free.

And while I'm no freeformer, I can't imagine latching. I just twist 1-2x a week to smooth my edges for work and that's it. If you're not sure about going to loose, maybe just try a lock-cut first, and see how you like them shorter.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ~GAN~ View Post
    I also went straight from a relaxer to locs! I just picked out my locs this past weekend. It had been about 6 weeks since I last did a reti. I cut my locs down to about an inch and picked them out from there. I have a twa but I'm gonna keep it braided up for awhile. I'm totally lost. lol! Maybe since I'm still new to loose hair, it seems to take a lot of time to maintain, even with it being short.

Cutting them may not be a bad idea, or combining them like Karibana suggested. I'll loc again eventually but I do want to experiment with loose hair for awhile. What I would suggest is doing some research on loose hair so you can be prepared and have a game plan once you cut your locs. I'm learning more about PH balance and learning my different textures so I know how to maintain my twa effectively. Also understanding density, porosity, and the thickness/thinness of each strand. Wish I had done that BEFORE taking down my locs. The products I used as a transitioner, and of course loc'd, are not working well with my twa.
    Hush yo mouth! I swear alot of take down been going on since I cut mine!

11. Likes ~GAN~ liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As you don't seem 100% sure if you want to take them down I think cutting them could be a great first step, it might turn out to be change you're look for and sort out some of the other issues you are having with locs. If you decide that's not for you you really need to decide what sort of length you want your natural loose hair. You could for a twa and start from scratch ( might be good if you aren't sure what your nature texture is like ? ) or unpick them , it's not rocket science so you could get friends / family to help you do that.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, just did it, finished a few days ago. I cut them in June to a bob. Then began taking them down in August. Once take down was complete, my hair loosed was near my belly button before I trimmed the bad ends off, now arm pit. The bob helped me mentally to slowly transition out of my locks. I promised myself that if cutting didn't resolve things, my only option would be take-down. After giving it a few months, take down it was. I enjoyed my bob immensely, no regrets. Things were lighter, I could still do a bun and wash/drying times were reduced significantly! I could set and curl my hair on pipe cleaners, go about my business and it would be dry quickly. THat was a BIG deal to me bc cold Ohio winters and damp, mature locks. The need to keep my locks dry and clean outweighed the length thing after surpassing bra-strap length. Now loose, I'm excited to go into stores and try a few things out. When I left the loose game, the only games in town were mail order from Ms. Jesse and Kinky Curly, if you had 100 bucks to gamble on S/H. I guess it might have been the same for you. It's a whole new journey and I'm so much wiser this go 'round loose. Feel free to view my album. It's a new journey for sure....but just as exciting and hard mentally and physically. The best with whatever you decide is best for you.......
    Last edited by KnottyAuthor; 12-17-2012 at 11:10 PM.

14. Likes ~GAN~, Butterflylocs, Alisondra liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast