Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default This is gettin ridiculous

Merry Xmas to all you beautiful women on this forum...Ive come to the conclusion that the length of time I have had my locs & the length of my locs does not correlate with most ppl. "You have extensions in your hair!?" "Nah bro dreads don't grow that fast" "You had braids before you had dreads?" Yo somebody even asked me did I have dreads since I was a baby, man when he said dat I just gave him that watchu talkin bout Willis face...anyway my hair pretty long for its age I guess shoulder length on the sides, prolly just below my shoulder blades in the back; 3 years in Feb started on a mini fro; Yo anybody else encounter this on the reg?
    Last edited by Spiritual Locks; 12-25-2012 at 08:50 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same "issue" but consider it a blessing my hair just grows ridiculously fast in its natural state. I have layers with the longest past my shoulders and it has only been 2 1/2 years. I started with a 2-3 inch fro!

3. Likes Spiritual Locks liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritual Locks View Post
    Merry Xmas to all you beautiful women on this forum...Ive come to the conclusion that the length of time I have had my locs & the length of my locs does not correlate with most ppl. "You have extensions in your hair!?" "Nah bro dreads don't grow that fast" "You had braids before you had dreads?" Yo somebody even asked me did I have dreads since I was a baby, man when he said dat I just gave him that watchu talkin bout Willis face...anyway my hair pretty long for its age I guess shoulder length on the sides, prolly just below my shoulder blades in the back; 3 years in Feb started on a mini fro; Yo anybody else encounter this on the reg?
    Yes, but I have friends that are freaked by how fast my hair grows. It doesn't grow any faster than normal people but I guess it's noticeable because they might be under the age old misconception of Black people not being able to grow their hair or grow their hair long. At the time I first started my locs myself in Dec. 2009 (chopped them off Dec. 2011--and starting again Dec. 2012)---but with shrinkage I looked like I had about 4inches of hair. In any event by Dec. 2011 my hair was past my shoulders. They were super long and I did only updos with it. And I never saw my hair as growing fast until I was looking at pictures of myself June 2010 and then June 2011 I realized that there was a shocking difference between the two lengths. It is a bit wow factor. However, what most don't understand is the weight of the loc itself and it hanging on the loose hair which makes it seem longer---or that's how I always explained the growth of my locs.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea someone asked me today do I use fertilizer on my roots I'm like yeah it's called ultra grow I got it from Home Depot smh

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think i've experienced a "growth spurt" due to a very low maintenance regimen + peppermint oil + multivitamins. locs retain a lot of hair, so i enjoy seeing people who started their locs one year and its very long the next. the way my locs are growing concerns me, i dunno if i can handle "long" hair, really. i'd rather have people compliment the length of my hair now, than have breakage with a perm and people giving me suggestions left to right

7. Thanks Spiritual Locks thanked for this post
    Likes KnottyAuthor, DazeOff liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My locks grew really fast too. Here is a pic of my hair in April 2006 when I first put them in and one of my hair in April 2009...three years in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twists2 042106 x.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	8986Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0925.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	8987

I used to get asked if I had extensions, but that hasn't happened in awhile. I'm 6.5 years in now.
    ~~Started Locks (2STs): April 20, 2006~~
    Fotki

9. Thanks Spiritual Locks thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6536d5e2.jpg

http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/...psda7f777d.jpg

Links to pics above (Feb 10-now) Do y'all consider this I guess more than average growth
    Last edited by Spiritual Locks; 12-28-2012 at 02:55 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Spiritual Locks - I haven't experienced loc growth before. If I stick with this set, it'll be my first time growing them out.

That said, I went from a big chop to collar-bone length loose hair over 3 years. The progress that you wrote about in your first post didn't sound abnormal to me.

I hope no one's making you feel self-conscious about your hair's length. It's not worth stressing over.
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

12. Likes Spiritual Locks liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly seems normal. People forget that locs can look longer due to the fact that our shed hair does not escape. I doubt most of us would have the length we do if we were loose. Plus locs are kind of like permanent protective styling.

14. Thanks Spiritual Locks thanked for this post
    Likes KB, Alisondra, Denny, DazeOff liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^I swear I wrote my post without reading yours first

Unfortunately black folks are, on average, at the lower end of the growth rate so just being at the general average makes you stand out. Add to that the fact that locs are the ultimate protective style and we never shed, basically we retain the hair we grow so it looks like it grows at lightening speed.
    Last edited by Karibana; 12-28-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

16. Likes Alisondra liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast