Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Crossfit and becoming fit enough to participate in the games by 2014

Ok so maybe this is a pipe dream, but i would LOVE to be invited to try out for the Crossfit games in 2014. I'm nowhere near enough in shape for it NOW, but I have a year to get there.

Missfit and I were talking about this is the random thoughts thread, but I figured I'd start a new thread so as not to hijack and also in case there were other peeps on NP who do crossfit and who are interested in competing

Crossfit principles (stuff in parenthesis are some examples i found of each) :

1. Cardiovascular/respiratory endurance The ability of body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen. (running, rowing, swimming)
    2. Stamina The ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy. (AMRAP exercises)
    3. Strength The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply force. (Weight training)
    4. Flexibility The ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint. (Stretching, gymnastics, yoga)
    5. Power The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply maximum force in minimum time. (Plyometrics, olympic lifts)
    6. Speed The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement. (Sprints, hills, plyometrics)
    7. Coordination The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movement. (martial arts, gymnastics, dancing)
    8. Agility The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another. (martial arts, gymnastics)
    9. Balance The ability to control the placement of the bodies center of gravity in relation to its support base. (gymnastics, yoga)
    10. Accuracy The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity. (suicides, performing all exercises with proper form)

Tests:
    Crossfit - How fit are you test
    Skill level training evaluations : These are cool. I think a bit more easier to understand that the above. there's also different evaluations depending on your level

here's the blurb on the games' website about how to participate
    A Three-stage Journey

The Games season is a three-stage journey. The first step is the Open, a worldwide, inclusive, five-week competition that kicks off early in the spring. Want to participate? More info is available here.
    The top athletes from the Open in each of the 17 regions around the world will qualify for the second stage of the competition Regionals, a three-day, live competition.

The season culminates in the 2013 Reebok CrossFit Games. At the Games, thousands of participants will be whittled down to around 100 of the fittest men and women in the world.

looking at the level 1 and level 2 evaluations, i'm somewhere between the two. many of the things in level 1 i'm past but the others i really need to work on.

my plan is to take the level 1 eval sometime this week. since i dont think it'll take me 3 months to improve all areas to level 2, i'll take the level 1 test again at the end of the month and if i ace everything i'll move on to the level 2 tests.

workout wise my january plan is :

Sundays : 30 mins hill work on treadmill (walking) +30 mins swimming
    Mon/Wed : Crossfit + sprint drills on track
    Tues/Thurs : 1 mile run/walk + rowing/versaclimber/stairmaster
    Fri : Practicing 4-5 movements i have poor form on/ bad coordination with (ie double unders, wall balls, cleans, rope climbs, handstands, grip strength, etc)
    Sat : Stretching

i'm not even going to worry about weight loss since i'll be eating at a deficit anyway (i love food).

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you seen those games? Besides being tough, there are a bunch of eliminations rounds where you have to repeatedly do the same crazy stuff over and over. I watched the championships on TV and some of the top performers lost because they were losing strength doing the stuff 4, 5, 6 or more times.

More power to you!!
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Hot boxing wit God when da rainbow is enuf
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE doing CF!! I, too, have a pipe dream of becoming Level I instructor certified (I'm no where near that), and ultimate dream= performing at the Regionals. But after reading the articles, I am relieved to know that I can do most of the activities on the test, except a handstand PU, and muscle up (I lack upper body/wrist strength). So I guess I am between a healthy beginner & intermediate athlete.
    @GG- I'll be crossing my fingers for you. While I admire the strength of CF game participants, I'd love to see more 'representation' when I tune in to the games...Are you affiliated with a box? Some boxes are better than others in helping develop/perfect movements.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    Have you seen those games? Besides being tough, there are a bunch of eliminations rounds where you have to repeatedly do the same crazy stuff over and over. I watched the championships on TV and some of the top performers lost because they were losing strength doing the stuff 4, 5, 6 or more times.

More power to you!!
    yep! i think the main things about the games is that the only way to prep for them is to be in the best shape you possibly can because they throw weird things out that people have never done before

@beatnut i joined a box in October and did the on-ramp but havent gone to many classes because the classes are mainly when i'm at work.

regarding the representation... yeah.. that's one of the ongoing jokes about CF. boxes are expensive for the most part. before i found my box everything i was seeing was in the $125-$175 range per month i found one that $65 a month because i think it's part of some co-op style thing with several rock climbing gyms in the bay area. my $65 gets me membership to all the rock climbing gyms in their system as well as all the classes they offer - including crossfit (i did have to pay separately for the on-ramp). i checked and the crossfit leader is certified and everything is kosher, so i'll just thank my lucky stars that downtown oakland has an affordable crossfit option cus the one in berkeley is like $175 a month

anyway, here's a good article i found on lack of representation in general
    http://www.forgingelitesarcasm.com/2...-wants-to.html

which led me to this lady's blog.
    http://elisabethakinwale.com/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. It would be great if there was more representation of us at the games and the boxes. I'm a huge fan of Elisabeth Akinwale. She killed it at the killer cage event at the 2011 Crossfit Games. Another black participant at the 2012 CrossFit Games was Deborah Cordner Carson.
    Natural hair isn't a trend. It's a movement.

-Anthony Dickey

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the question of Black participation in CrossFit, the first question is do we define CrossFit as exercise or a sport?

If we define it as "exercise," we already know the funny relationship Black women have with fitness, weight, obesity and our bodies. Engaging in regular, consistent, strenuous exercise will change the body. The idea of "change" would fly in the face of some cultural beliefs and even read as betrayal to some people.

If we define it as "sport," then Black women can easily marginalize it and leave it to the Jackie Joyner-Kersees of the world. Since they aren't athletes, it's not for them.

I looked at the profiles of the women mentioned above and all of them played college sports. That's very important. They approach CrossFit from the mental place of athletes.

The average Black woman isn't an athlete. Thus, we won't be seeing many in CrossFit. We may see more representation among the "Black female athlete" subculture (if it even exists).

GG, don't forget that you were a college athlete. Did Missfit play sports?
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey ladies. Real quick, cause I'm cooking but yes i ran track track as well as boxed for years. i also did crossfit for almost a year until I fell upon hard times. In also a fitness instructor, ran two full marathons and a bunch of various other things. I've been vigorously active since I was in my teens and I still am.

I will be back to join the conversation

ETA: I absolutely have an athletes mind set. It hurts and it's time consuming but the pay out is worth so much more. I agree that I do not see many black women in the games but there are so many variables to that. I would love to be o e of the few though. I won't get to start back until the third week of January it's the only opening they have (I have to intro again because its a new gym). Oh and expensive isn't the word but I really want this and I will sacrifice, especially being in a better situation.
    Last edited by missfit757; 01-02-2013 at 02:45 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck. I was doing crossfit twice a week when I was in great shape and it still was hard. I loved it though. Had to stop when the instructor ended up on one of my juries.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the question of Black participation in CrossFit, the first question is do we define CrossFit as exercise or a sport?
    in general terms i think something becomes a sport once you decide you want to compete in it, even if it's competing against yourself. crossfit is definitely competitive even at the box level because you're (at least i am) trying to finish that last rep so i can say "DONE" as fast as possible, no only to try and beat my own time, but also because i dont want to come in last

also it's not surprising that most of the people who get into crossfit are former athletes. the culture is very attractive to anyone who's ever been called a jock (male and female) and it's not surprising that those are the people who tend to play sports and become athletes.
    crossfit seems to be the place where old athletes go to play at being athletes again

i think anyone can become an athlete if they want. that's what i like about biggest loser.. well what i liked about the old biggest loser. anyone at any age can learn to push themselves beyond what they think is their limit since very often it's mental attitude that holds us back instead of physical limitations. that's one of the best things you learn when you become an athlete.

in that interview i posted, i think this was a good point
    Black people are just generally too cool to do what we do at CrossFit. We don’t like doing shit that’s not cool, like repeatedly jumping on a box or double wall balls or anything that makes a person look ridiculous.
    there is something to be said about many black people - especially black women - having a wariness about not only trying something new that you might look stupid doing but also something new where they might be the only black person doing it.

i think many black people simply aren't risk takers for a variety of reasons, and like chacha said
    The idea of "change" would fly in the face of some cultural beliefs and even read as betrayal to some people.

since crossfit challenges you in so many different ways, there's a lot of stuff you'd look ridiculous doing. double under day is like a marx brothers film

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast