Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Regrowth after chemo

Hi,

I haven't posted on here fit a couple of years Since then I had chemo and chemo, surgery and radiotherapy for breast cancer. The last chemo treatment was in August. I had visible growth in early October, and shavedit one last time in November.

Apart from gently washing or rinsing tge the shower, I've just been applying a bit of oil and brushing through with a military brush. I know its early days but sometimes it feels like it'll take a decade to grow back, lol!

I know hair had a certain speed but is there anything I can start doing to encourage healthy growth? I going to start with some Shea butter recipes, when I decide what to do. In some respects I'm a bit paranoid about using products
    [SIZE=2]~~~formerly known as : «:::MISSTHANG:::»[/SIZE]

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, welcome back to NP! Congratulations on your recovery.

As one survivor to another, the most important thing is optimum health. When it comes to hair care, don't forget to keep your scalp cleansed well. As my hair grew back, I treated my scalp the same way as before. Gently washed my scalp weekly, then applied a light oil [jojoba] afterwards. Once I saw maybe an inch growth, I slowly introduced styling products, as I saw that my hair was a bit different than before.

I can certainly relate to your 'paranoia' related to using products...I was the same way.

Again, welcome back.

3. Thanks MissThing606, Custard thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome back! As another survivor (Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia at the age of eight), I support OHR's suggestions. My mother definitely made sure my scalp was kept clean and used light oils to prevent dryness. I used to call myself massaging my scalp with my younger brother's baby brush (which did help so far as circulation, so I was on to something even back then ). Once my hair started to grow back in (I sported a small fro in 3rd grade for a few months), then my mother used mild shampoos, conditioners, and a little gel to set my curls until it was long enough to style.

I can't necessarily relate to the paranoia related to my hair (my hair was the very least of my concerns at the time), but as I told my mother back then: "Don't worry, it'll grow back." And it did. So don't worry. It'll grow back.

5. Thanks MissThing606, Custard thanked for this post
    Likes OHR liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome back and glad to hear of your recovery.
    Never Underestimate ANYONE

7. Thanks MissThing606, Custard thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

Thanks your replies and advice. I think I have a minimalist routine now. Wash/co wash in shower. Apply 99.9% aloe vers gel (with lavender EO) to wet hair. I discovered by accident that it looks better without combing or brushing.

I think I could stick to this for a few weeks or at least till it grows a couple of inches.
    [SIZE=2]~~~formerly known as : «:::MISSTHANG:::»[/SIZE]

9. Likes OHR liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome back! I'm happy that you're doing better, and recovering. I think the other ladies have great advice. I think just keeping your mind and body strong will be the first tests of your hair. My mom had cancer when I was young, I'm not sure how it affected her hair. If I find anything out, I'll post it. *hugs*
    I would like to say thank you to whomever it was out there that PANKED me! You're a true blessing

Search for a kingdom worthy of your soul

http://public.fotki.com/KreativeKoils/current-styles/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Husbands hair grew back after his most recent round of chemo. It was more traumatic for me to see the hairs on the pillow than it was for him. I cried every time I rubbed his head and strands just fell.

We worked on the hair growth issue from the inside out. All organic, plant based diet. A lot of juicing and smoothies. Eventually included some protein. I constantly massaged his head...just because he felt better when I did. I also used my hair butter that I made that included ingredients that heal itchiness and eczema.

It did grow back. Can't say it grew back faster because of what we did, but it did grow back. And honestly, we were not making the changes in diet and attitude to get his hair to grow. We just wanted him to have the best chance at recovery and hopefully getting the cancer to go back in remission (CML). The icing on the cake was that his hair came back...the real benefit is that he is here with me another day.

Keep the positive, fighter, healthy mentality. Keep taking gentle care of yourself. Your hair will follow. Wishing you wellness.
    Nappy since November 11, 2003

12. Thanks OHR thanked for this post