Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by floetry22 View Post
    @Bithiya- Thanks for the info!! ITA, I am trying to read and do as much research as possible.
    I’ve come across numerous ads for apartments in Red Hook, Bushwick & Brownsville and wondered why they were so cheap… Now I know why ...Also, Staten Island doesn’t seem like a good option. I’ve never considered Queens before, but now I am adding Astoria / Sunnyside to my list…it seems like the commute to midtown Manhattan would be fairly easy. Also, it’s interesting that many people live and work in Queens because I thought that job opportunities would be limited outside of Manhattan and the financial district.… Is that true for Brooklyn as well? Are there any NP’s who work outside of Manhattan in the other boroughs?? I currently work for an accounting firm during the day and part-time as a nursing assistant on the weekends…so it’s good to know that there are job opportunities outside of the city.
    Queens is mostly residential (like Brooklyn), but sure, there's plenty of places where you can potentially find work. I work in Manhattan because that's where my company is, but if they were in Brooklyn or Queens (and reasonably accessible) I'd work there as well. Long Island City is practically being gutted for gentrification, so more office towers and apartment buildings (which will be expensive because of the view and near immediate access to Manhattan) are cropping up soon enough. In fact, Jet Blue just set up shop out there. I'm sure Whole Paycheck, Trader Joes, and any number of "upscale" chain stores will follow suit. (Along with their culture-less, art-hating, token-diversity hippie/hipster douchebag clientele...but I digress.)

2. Likes floetry22, Vavoon liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Bithiya- Thanks for the info!! ITA, I am trying to read and do as much research as possible.
    I’ve come across numerous ads for apartments in Red Hook, Bushwick & Brownsville and wondered why they were so cheap… Now I know why ...Also, Staten Island doesn’t seem like a good option. I’ve never considered Queens before, but now I am adding Astoria / Sunnyside to my list…it seems like the commute to midtown Manhattan would be fairly easy. Also, it’s interesting that many people live and work in Queens because I thought that job opportunities would be limited outside of Manhattan and the financial district.… Is that true for Brooklyn as well? Are there any NP’s who work outside of Manhattan in the other boroughs?? I currently work for an accounting firm during the day and part-time as a nursing assistant on the weekends…so it’s good to know that there are job opportunities outside of the city.
    Don't be intimidated by the idea of a ferry ride into Manhattan. If you were to work in Lower Manhattan, the ferry terminal would be a reasonable distance from your worksite. And remember, the ferry is FREE.
    Brooklyn has a 'financial center' of its own - at Brooklyn Civic Center/Courthouse District, near the Brooklyn Bridge.
    Many Black women in NYC work in healthcare settings throughout the City; a lot are located in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and the Bronx.
    Perhaps you could find worksites for both your occupations, equidistant from your new apartment.

The concept of 'commuter-friendly suburbs' has taken off; it includes new apartment buildings built adjacent to commuter rail stations, to cater to young professionals without automobiles - so they can live in a NYC exurb and walk to the train into the big city. I pick up a vibe that these will be converted to condominiums when the economy improves; of course those already in as tenants will get first dibs, at rock-bottom prices.

Another idea: some people in your field work privately for elderly/handicapped clients in the home. At least that's what I pick up from newspaper advertisements placed by the families.
    Perhaps a weekend gig like this could be combined with your new day job at the office

4. Thanks Intellexual thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikalia42 View Post
    Queens is mostly residential (like Brooklyn), but sure, there's plenty of places where you can potentially find work. Long Island City is practically being gutted for gentrification.
    See.
    This goes along with what I am trying to say. If you choose Queens, you will most likely have to make your start in the places I mentioned: a wide swath of villages going south from Jamaica, arcing north of JFK Airport, to the Nassau County borders at Valley Stream and Belmont Racetrack. The upside of this is that you would be midway between "the real New York City" and Nassau County's centers of employment - which could be just what you need for your two lines of work
    The villages you brought up [Astoria, Sunnyside] are historically occupied by people of Mediterranean European ancestry (e.g., Armenians, Greeks, Italians).
    As they die or retire, they tend to leave their properties to their children or sell to people of similar ancestry -- many of whom are college-educated but cannot (yet) afford Manhattan.
    The LIRR has "peak" (rush-hour) trains to and from the stations serving the Afro-American neighborhoods in Queens, so this fits your day job travel needs.
    N.B.: Queens is NYC's greenest borough -- over 40,000 trees, and parks are everywhere. Of course it can't rival subtropical Florida for this, because New York has a temperate climate. But I'm just saying
    Last edited by Bithiya; 01-20-2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Needed to give further details.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bithiya View Post
    See.
    This goes along with what I am trying to say. If you choose Queens, you will most likely have to make your start in the places I mentioned: a wide swath of villages going south from Jamaica, arcing north of JFK Airport, to the Nassau County borders at Valley Stream and Belmont Racetrack. The upside of this is that you would be midway between "the real New York City" and Nassau County's centers of employment - which could be just what you need for your two lines of work
    The villages you brought up [Astoria, Sunnyside] are historically occupied by people of Mediterranean European ancestry (e.g., Armenians, Greeks, Italians).
    As they die or retire, they tend to leave their properties to their children or sell to people of similar ancestry -- many of whom are college-educated but cannot (yet) afford Manhattan.
    The LIRR has "peak" (rush-hour) trains to and from the stations serving the Afro-American neighborhoods in Queens, so this fits your day job travel needs.
    N.B.: Queens is NYC's greenest borough -- over 40,000 trees, and parks are everywhere. Of course it can't rival subtropical Florida for this, because New York has a temperate climate. But I'm just saying
    That's true, but I initially mentioned those places for the generally lower rent, not as a neighborhood to find work in. That's slowly changing though; a lot of "Mom & Pop" businesses have gone belly-up as of late because of the changes happening in LIC. Realtors see the potential for higher profit, which leads to higher rents for community businesses, and downward goes the snowball. In five years time, Sunnyside and Astoria will look very much like Williamsburg and will edge "everyone else out". (My fiancee' and I own our co-op, so we ain't going nowhere unless we chose to.) The real holdouts in Sunnyside are the Irish--they're the main ones who manage to stay (somehow) while everyone else's businesses are either being priced out or sold outright (if not yet, then eventually). The literal face of the populations there is also starting to change. Over the last couple of years, more black/Afro-Americans have moved in to the area and are still doing so. I overhead a convo of black business owners at the fish market who were discussing how to match the raised rents for retail space and not fall short like their Mediterranean peers/competition.

I mention Long Island City because that is the "Western Queens" area of commerce; MTA, LIRR at Hunters Point, courthouses, Citigroup's been there since inception, just put up an NY Health Department location there, Jet Blue just went up middle of last year, other office buildings already present and under construction, etc. So if she truly wanted to work in Queens as well as live there with the convenience of a shorter trip to Manhattan being the caveat, she could potentially work in LIC and live in either Sunnyside or Astoria. It's a workable option. But if she wants to be in the midst of an area of commerce with its own nightlife, Nassau County would be the place to start. Unless she doesn't mind the mile of Irish pubs on/around Queens Boulevard.

7. Thanks Bithiya thanked for this post
    Likes floetry22 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey NP, I will be moving to NYC in July from Tampa. I am currently in the process of getting my job transferred. But, I am also submitting my resume to different positions just in case the transfer doesn't work out. My budget is $1400 for a 1BD or studio. I would prefer to live in Manhattan...specifically Inwood, Washington Heights and the Harlem area in general...I was looking online on Craigslist and came across some reasonable 1BD's in my price range in Harlem and Inwood.

Does anyone currently live or have lived in Harlem, Heights or Inwood? If so, please share your experience..the positives and negatives.

Although I prefer Manhattan and the city, I would also be open to living in Brooklyn and the Bronx. Any suggestions?

I will be in the area again visiting a friend in Feb., so I plan on looking at neighborhoods. Also, are there any NP's living in NYC who own a car?? I don't know if I should sell my car or just leave at my parents house for the time being...if I bring it, I know there are parking garages available...some of the prices in Harlem were ok ...but I guess I want to have options besides the train when it comes to transportation and running errands...I know there are zip cars, but the cost of using a zip car could add up quickly.

Thanks!
    DO NOT move to NYC with a car unless the parking God's have given you a place where you can park it. It makes no sense. I used to live near 145th and Amsterdam.

I say if you're in upper Manhattan make sure you're close to the subway. It's just more convenient. I was equidistant between the 145th stop for the A, C, B, and D and I could also walk to the 1 line if I needed to. It was a great deal because it was a through someone I knew, so I was paying almost nothing. However, when that short sublease was over, I moved to Brooklyn. Brooklyn really can be very convenient as are some parts of Queens. I know being a newb you want the Manhattan experience, but when I lived in South Williamsburg, I could be in the Lower East Side faster than just about anyone else, except for friends who actually lived in the LES.

I also stay in Inwood now most of the time when I'm in NYC. It's a chore getting up there but I don't complain because I get a key and I get to go and come as I please. However, now I usually split my time between that friend's place and another friend's place in the Alphabet-city section of the LES.

If you don't listen to folks now on that point, you'll learn the hard way when you're at some downtown station at 2 in the morning waiting for that A train to show up. Upper Manhattan isn't bad, but, if I moved back, I'd move to Brooklyn or Queens before moving back uptown. It was nice to live in a historic neighborhood but it's gentrifying, which is both good and bad. Bad because it's slowly pushing poorer residents out. I'd not live that far uptown when you can find a great place in Brooklyn or Queens.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Chinese Proverb

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

9. Thanks Intellexual thanked for this post
    Likes Mikalia42, Bithiya, floetry22 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I scrolled back through this thread; GalaxyGirl2012 mentioned Astoria, then Mikalia42 seconded it and added Sunnyside & Woodside. The Original Poster then picked up on these.
    I went with what I know of the history, for what appears to me to be the smoothest path for someone without roots in Queens or local rental & job references.
    From what Mikalia42 is saying, the playing field in certain Western Queens villages is levelling out, which is great.
    I figured the newcomer would more likely meet with flexibility on rental screening applications among her own people.
    Of course, if one has employment lined up in, say, Midtown Manhattan/Flushing/Forest Hills, AND can land an apartment in Western Queens, then this is an ideal setup and one should go for it.
    Last edited by Bithiya; 01-20-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Line 1: Improved wording.

11. Likes floetry22 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scribetastic View Post
    Brooklyn really can be very convenient as are some parts of Queens. I know being a newb you want the Manhattan experience, but when I lived in South Williamsburg, I could be in the Lower East Side faster than just about anyone else, except for friends who actually lived in the LES.
    If you don't listen to folks now on that point, you'll learn the hard way when you're at some downtown station at 2 in the morning waiting for that A train to show up. Upper Manhattan isn't bad, but, if I moved back, I'd move to Brooklyn or Queens before moving back uptown. I'd not live that far uptown when you can find a great place in Brooklyn or Queens.

I think these are great "insider tips", which you will not find printed because of all the hype that Manhattan demands.
    Furthermore, people living in the Outer Boroughs, especially Brooklyn and Queens, tend to be more cohesive/neighborly as compared to those in much of Manhattan.
    This is a protective social aspect to consider for a person who moves into a neighborhood on their own, without local blood ties.
    Last edited by Bithiya; 01-20-2013 at 06:47 PM.

13. Thanks floetry22 thanked for this post
    Likes floetry22 liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DO NOT move to NYC with a car unless the parking God's have given you a place where you can park it. It makes no sense. I used to live near 145th and Amsterdam.

I say if you're in upper Manhattan make sure you're close to the subway. It's just more convenient. I was equidistant between the 145th stop for the A, C, B, and D and I could also walk to the 1 line if I needed to.
    It was nice to live in a historic neighborhood. I'd not live that far uptown when you can find a great place in Brooklyn or Queens.
    I know that area of Harlem - The City College of New York, Convent Avenue Baptist Church, Hamilton Heights, Hamilton Terrace, Sugar Hill.
    For practicality, I agree with this post. The two subway lines are actually not that close to each other; each (Broadway - W 137 Street and St Nicholas Avenue - W 145 Street) is at the bottom of the hill on which the CCNY Campus stands - and the hill is about half a mile each slope. This is not a big deal if you are in your late teens/early twenties, walking to and from the college among other youth during broad daylight - but if you are a working adult with different hours, it's a whole 'nother concern.
    Also, Brooklyn and Queens have several landmarked residential neighborhoods, so if that is important to a newcomer, it can be found outside Manhattan.
    Last edited by Bithiya; 01-20-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: To give further detail.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know being a newb you want the Manhattan experience, but when I lived in South Williamsburg, I could be in the Lower East Side faster than just about anyone else, except for friends who actually lived in the LES.
    I also stay in Inwood now most of the time when I'm in NYC. It's a chore getting up there but I don't complain because I get a key and I get to go and come as I please. However, now I usually split my time between that friend's place and another friend's place in the Alphabet-city section of the LES.
    If you don't listen to folks now on that point, you'll learn the hard way when you're at some downtown station at 2 in the morning waiting for that A train to show up. Upper Manhattan isn't bad, but, if I moved back, I'd move to Brooklyn or Queens before moving back uptown. It was nice to live in a historic neighborhood but it's gentrifying, which is both good and bad. Bad because it's slowly pushing poorer residents out. I'd not live that far uptown when you can find a great place in Brooklyn or Queens.
    Yes, as a newb to NYC I want the Manhattan experience….I don’t want to be in the suburbs or somewhere far from civilization. The rent in Inwood and Harlem is very reasonable…and like you said, the neighborhood is historic, which is cool to have that experience. But now that you mentioned that it’s a pain getting up there, I think I may need to start looking at neighborhoods in Queens & Brooklyn…it makes sense.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bithiya View Post
    I know that area of Harlem - The City College of New York, Convent Avenue Baptist Church, Hamilton Heights, Hamilton Terrace, Sugar Hill.
    For practicality, I agree with this post. The two subway lines are actually not that close to each other; each (Broadway - W 137 Street and St Nicholas Avenue - W 145 Street) is at the bottom of the hill on which the CCNY Campus stands - and the hill is about half a mile each slope. This is not a big deal if you are in your late teens/early twenties, walking to and from the college among other youth during broad daylight - but if you are a working adult with different hours, it's a whole 'nother concern.
    Also, Brooklyn and Queens have several landmarked residential neighborhoods, so if that is important to a newcomer, it can be found outside Manhattan.
    My friend lives in this area, Broadway - W 142 Street... I was going to consider this area, but I don't believe there are any affordable 1 Bd's...most of them are reserved for Columbia staff and students...plus, the train stops are far apart..I had to get off at W 137 & walk to W 142, with luggage...now, this may not seem like a big deal to you guys...but I was exhausted afterwards...when it was time for me to leave, I refused to go through that again. So, I caught a gypsy cab to W 116th to catch the M60 back to Laguardia

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast