Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Moving to NYC

Hey NP, I will be moving to NYC in July from Tampa. I am currently in the process of getting my job transferred. But, I am also submitting my resume to different positions just in case the transfer doesn't work out. My budget is $1400 for a 1BD or studio. I would prefer to live in Manhattan...specifically Inwood, Washington Heights and the Harlem area in general...I was looking online on Craigslist and came across some reasonable 1BD's in my price range in Harlem and Inwood.

Does anyone currently live or have lived in Harlem, Heights or Inwood? If so, please share your experience..the positives and negatives.

Although I prefer Manhattan and the city, I would also be open to living in Brooklyn and the Bronx. Any suggestions?

I will be in the area again visiting a friend in Feb., so I plan on looking at neighborhoods. Also, are there any NP's living in NYC who own a car?? I don't know if I should sell my car or just leave at my parents house for the time being...if I bring it, I know there are parking garages available...some of the prices in Harlem were ok ...but I guess I want to have options besides the train when it comes to transportation and running errands...I know there are zip cars, but the cost of using a zip car could add up quickly.

Thanks!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

leave your car at your parents unless you get lucky enough to find someplace with consistent parking. i dont drive, but i would think having to move your car routinely for street sweeping would be annoying if you always had to hunt for a parking space. but everyone i know who owns a car in nyc either pays for a garage or has a driveway

if you really have your heart's set on manhattan and don't want roommates, definitely look into inwood.
    good brooklyn neighborhoods (in terms of transportation and things to do) are south slope, prospect heights (windsor terrace i lived in windsor terrace for 5 years and LOVED it!), clinton hill (although it might be a little pricey now). bed stuy can be OK too but you need to check it out.

the bronx is pretty much a PITA to get too, especially on the weekends when the trains run crazy, but that's just my opinion. even when i've visited a friend who lives near yankee stadium which isnt too far into the bronx, it can be a major headache getting there and back on the weekends.

in queens astoria is a good possibility as well since it's very close to midtown.

good luck!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^I second Astoria and Sunnyside, and Woodside (where I live) in Queens. You'll find plenty of places within your price range there. It's a 15 minute ride to 42nd Street most days, but keep in mind, subway service on the weekends gets a little crazy. Other than that it's pretty decent. I don't have to get on the train to get what I need a lot of the time because everything is right outside: laundromat, supermarkets (there's more than one within blocks of each other), grocers, delis, small restaurants. If you want to really shop, there's Queens Plaza Mall in one direction (another 20 or so minute ride on the train) and of course Midtown in the other. I've lived in Woodside for the last 5 to 6 years, and I absolutely love it.

I can't really speak for Brooklyn, since all the neighborhoods I lived/grew up in at those times were pretty bad and I haven't really been back to those areas in many years. I would avoid Williamsburg for the most part, as it's been getting ridiculously pricey (as I was told by an acquaintance who lives out there). South Slope is "okay" from what I've heard. Fort Greene is starting to clean uplittle by little. The area around Barclay's is going to start picking up very quickly now that the place has been given a severe facelift. (That area is also okay; tree lined streets, but parking is definitely a pain in the backside.) Atlantic Avenue is a big transfer hub and there's a mall. A few blocks up is Fulton Street where there's shopping.

I would advise leaving your car behind, as parking is notoriously difficult. Unless, you can find a garage that'll let you park there on a monthly basis for a reasonable price. Otherwise, you don't really need a car here.

Good luck!

4. Thanks Intellexual thanked for this post
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey girl i lived in nyc (brooklyn) my whole life. please consider brooklyn. MTA is 80% reliable depending on where you live and where you work so you may find yourself not even using your car (however...brace yourself..MTA is increasing their prices yet AGAIN.. but trust me girl unlimited metro card = unlimited possibilities)

I can only speak for brooklyn - i lived here my whole life and its definitely not as dangerous as outsiders perceive it to be - but this depends on your neighborhood! with the amount of money you're willing to spend for a one bedroom/studio you can afford a great deal.

here are some neighboods in brooklyn that everyone wants to live in
    bed stuy has gentrified - now its turning into stuyvesant heights its cleaning up and the brownstones are lovely.
    - cobble hill: location is anywhere between 10-30 min from manhattan. nice stores, nice people, downtown brooklyn is right around the block so you can enjoy the shopping perks too
    - park slope: same as cobble hill, maybe 20-30 min away from the city. very expensive.
    - williamburg: this place is like a mini-union square in therms of the culture. the L train takes you to union square within minutes.this neighborhood is filled with young urban professionals, nice (well ok) bars. expensive!!! i wouldn't want to live here lol

e.ny is affordable but is considered to many the "bad" side of town - but thats changing. the 3 train, which is reliable takes you there..but you're a good 30-45 min away from the city
    east flatbush/canarsie/crown heights - this is where i want to live. unlike gentrified areas, these neighborhoods are where the caribbean population is - you can count on these places for good food, cheaper rent, and reliable transportation. crime rate is average.

browsville is that part of brooklyn that no one wants to be in during the night. sorry, just too much happens there.
    now i hate living in flatlands, the transportation, though reliable, is too far from everything. the crime rate is very low.

bensonhurst/coney island/kensington - that area basically.. i personally overlook it. that place is far from diverse (russians,italians,jews,asians) and i heard many instances of questionable racism happening there. but you hear a lot of things so idk, lol

leave that car home if you can. mta will help you most of the time. welcome to nyc girl

and have you considered affordable housing? idk your income, but there are many programs that are designed to fit your income to your rent. you dont have to be section 8 status, some of the applications are designed for different incomes ranging from 17-100K. however there is a long wait list for some of them:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/housinginfo/...tunities.shtml
    http://www.nyhousingsearch.gov/index.html
    http://www.socialserve.com
    http://www.onyllc.com/property/
    www.commonground.org/
    Last edited by Vavoon; 01-18-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have friends (a couple) who recently bought a home in kensington. it's a cute little area with families.

OP you should also take into account the types of things you plan to do when you're in the city.

for instance for me i like going out and taking advantage of the nightlife so i needed to be in an area that was 1)affordable 2)close to multiple trains (which in some cases contradicts #1) 3)was relatively safe 4)had a little nightlife of its own.

i feel in love with park slope but the area was ridiculously expensive so i ended up looking to the neighborhood a few blocks away where the rents were like $400 cheaper for the same size apartment

most reliable subway lines i'd say are the a,l,n,r, 2,3,4,5,6.. the other ones are iffy. the F train broke my heart many a time. G train is the magical train that appears not when you want it or expect it but when you need it and it might not even be at a place it's supposed to stop i swear it's like the knight bus in harry potter .

this makes me miss NYC

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl2012 View Post

the bronx is pretty much a PITA to get too, especially on the weekends when the trains run crazy, but that's just my opinion. even when i've visited a friend who lives near yankee stadium which isnt too far into the bronx, it can be a major headache getting there and back on the weekends.

in queens astoria is a good possibility as well since it's very close to midtown.

good luck!
    You know, I've heard about the Bronx not being accessible at times...it seems like nobody goes to the Bronx unless they're visiting someone or have some type of engagement going on there..it's like nobody just decides to go to the Bronx, LOL....I asked because the rent seemed reasonable, but I don't want to be living in an area where it is a pain to get to the city.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikalia42 View Post
    ^^^I second Astoria and Sunnyside, and Woodside (where I live) in Queens. You'll find plenty of places within your price range there. It's a 15 minute ride to 42nd Street most days, but keep in mind, subway service on the weekends gets a little crazy. Other than that it's pretty decent. I don't have to get on the train to get what I need a lot of the time because everything is right outside: laundromat, supermarkets (there's more than one within blocks of each other), grocers, delis, small restaurants. If you want to really shop, there's Queens Plaza Mall in one direction (another 20 or so minute ride on the train) and of course Midtown in the other. I've lived in Woodside for the last 5 to 6 years, and I absolutely love it.

I can't really speak for Brooklyn, since all the neighborhoods I lived/grew up in at those times were pretty bad and I haven't really been back to those areas in many years. I would avoid Williamsburg for the most part, as it's been getting ridiculously pricey (as I was told by an acquaintance who lives out there). South Slope is "okay" from what I've heard. Fort Greene is starting to clean uplittle by little. The area around Barclay's is going to start picking up very quickly now that the place has been given a severe facelift. (That area is also okay; tree lined streets, but parking is definitely a pain in the backside.) Atlantic Avenue is a big transfer hub and there's a mall. A few blocks up is Fulton Street where there's shopping.

I would advise leaving your car behind, as parking is notoriously difficult. Unless, you can find a garage that'll let you park there on a monthly basis for a reasonable price. Otherwise, you don't really need a car here.

Good luck!
    You know, I didn't consider Queens...it just seems so large and spread out, lol...and I've heard that MTA does not run in some parts of Queens..What about Flushing??? But I will consider Astoria and Woodside...I like the fact that everything is right outside your door..I didn't think Queens was like that.

Also, I've been to the area around Barclay's and there was a lot of traffic and things going on...I like the fact that the Atlantic stop is right there, not too far...the only thing I wasn't impressed with was the shopping..it was your typical strip mall, not enough stores..but I guess in the future more stores will be added.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vavoon View Post

here are some neighboods in brooklyn that everyone wants to live in
    bed stuy has gentrified - now its turning into stuyvesant heights its cleaning up and the brownstones are lovely.
    - cobble hill: location is anywhere between 10-30 min from manhattan. nice stores, nice people, downtown brooklyn is right around the block so you can enjoy the shopping perks too
    - park slope: same as cobble hill, maybe 20-30 min away from the city. very expensive.
    - williamburg: this place is like a mini-union square in therms of the culture. the L train takes you to union square within minutes.this neighborhood is filled with young urban professionals, nice (well ok) bars. expensive!!! i wouldn't want to live here lol

e.ny is affordable but is considered to many the "bad" side of town - but thats changing. the 3 train, which is reliable takes you there..but you're a good 30-45 min away from the city
    east flatbush/canarsie/crown heights - this is where i want to live. unlike gentrified areas, these neighborhoods are where the caribbean population is - you can count on these places for good food, cheaper rent, and reliable transportation. crime rate is average.

browsville is that part of brooklyn that no one wants to be in during the night. sorry, just too much happens there.
    now i hate living in flatlands, the transportation, though reliable, is too far from everything. the crime rate is very low.

bensonhurst/coney island/kensington - that area basically.. i personally overlook it. that place is far from diverse (russians,italians,jews,asians) and i heard many instances of questionable racism happening there. but you hear a lot of things so idk, lol

leave that car home if you can. mta will help you most of the time. welcome to nyc girl

and have you considered affordable housing? idk your income, but there are many programs that are designed to fit your income to your rent. you dont have to be section 8 status, some of the applications are designed for different incomes ranging from 17-100K. however there is a long wait list for some of them:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/housinginfo/...tunities.shtml
    http://www.nyhousingsearch.gov/index.html
    http://www.socialserve.com
    http://www.onyllc.com/property/
    www.commonground.org/
    Yes, Brooklyn! The brownstones are just lovely! I think I would consider Cobble Hill because it's not too far from the city...I am glad that you mentioned Brownsville. I saw several ads on Craigslist for apartments in that neighborhood..Yikes! And I didn't consider public housing..didn't think I would qualify...I certainly don't in Florida because you have to be section 8 status...I can't wait to get out of this state, lol! But that's cool to know that there are programs out there for renters..I will definately add them to my list.

10. Likes Vavoon liked this post
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl2012 View Post
    i have friends (a couple) who recently bought a home in kensington. it's a cute little area with families.

OP you should also take into account the types of things you plan to do when you're in the city.

for instance for me i like going out and taking advantage of the nightlife so i needed to be in an area that was 1)affordable 2)close to multiple trains (which in some cases contradicts #1) 3)was relatively safe 4)had a little nightlife of its own.

i feel in love with park slope but the area was ridiculously expensive so i ended up looking to the neighborhood a few blocks away where the rents were like $400 cheaper for the same size apartment

most reliable subway lines i'd say are the a,l,n,r, 2,3,4,5,6.. the other ones are iffy. the F train broke my heart many a time. G train is the magical train that appears not when you want it or expect it but when you need it and it might not even be at a place it's supposed to stop i swear it's like the knight bus in harry potter .

this makes me miss NYC

at the Knight Bus....You've described everything I plan to do while living in the city...taking advantage of the nightlife, shopping, entertainment, etc..and close to multiple train lines. My friend lives not to far from Columbia University, so he catches the 1 train, which is really accessible...the stop is not too far from his apartment. That's why I was considering Inwood and the Harlem area in general. So, I was chatting with one of my co-workers today, who is originally from NY and she's thinking about moving back as well. I was asking her about Washington Heights and she said that the area is mostly Dominican and Puerto Rican...as an african-american women, she wouldn't recommend it. What do you guys think?

Going back to the car situation...I thought that would be an option because sometimes, a girl just get tired of walking I remember the first time I got on the train near the Times Square stop and looked at the amount of stairs..and the 125th train stop in Manhattan, the stairs are brutal if the escalator is not running...so at work, I've been parking as far as possible from the building to build up my stamina How do you guys handle it?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have 2 black friends who currently live in washington heights and they never have issues. both are single too.

the only thing that would annoy me is the lack of decent grocery stores. i think there's a whole paycheck foods up there now but that's kind of pricey as a main grocery store i think. every grocery store i've visited up there were more like mega-bodegas where they had every flavor of chip, cookie and soda you can imagine, but very little in terms of healthy. both pretty much either do their grocery shopping in other neighborhoods.

why exactly does your friend say stay away?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast