Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An outstanding example for consideration. Tawana Brawley (her name is different now) catapulted Sharpton (and perhaps others) into a new stratosphere. After every side put her on a pedestal and than rended her down, she and others (including Sharpton) were sued civilly and lost. The expenses of the men involved (including Sharpton) were paid off. Brawley's portion of the debt was not. She went on to change her name and go to work elsewhere. Sensation over for a bit. Then, the formerly alleged rapist had her tracked down toward recovering what has ballooned into nearly 500k.

Rightfully so, perhaps, the victim (of her and those others who persecuted him) feels as though justice won't be served until she is to make those amends. There's a complicated discussion to be had which shouldn't be boiled down to leave "Brawley, Sharpton, etc." alone. Why wasn't her portion of the debt paid off with everyone else's? Although they may have rallied behind her in earnest, it was their persecution efforts which caused her false allegation* to garner as many damages. Sharpton may be able to afford to free her from that debt, which he was able to springboard from and/or survive.

If the dialogue hit the MSM, would people ignore it as old news, bash Sharpton, bash Brawley, etc? My question is, what would people who regard themselves with any measure of intellectual integrity do with those matters. Thus far, I've seen these issues used as poison rather than something to build up our collective consciousness with.

Welp, I just looked, there is MSM and/or accessible coverage of those angles and even bringing Sharpton's ability to potentially cover her debt into the mix. What do you know? I'll add that to Newsies.
    Last edited by Intellexual; 02-02-2013 at 06:08 PM.
    If your import amid discussion is to ridicule, sabotage, and/or dismiss, you will no longer receive the privilege of my attention. Passive aggressive behaviors are a defense mechanism of oppressed and ultimately even self-defeated persons. Disregarding and/or ridiculing the concerns of others doesn't legitimize or address your own. You have betrayed a critical trust I must have in you that you are engaging or asking of me to enhance each of our perspectives rather than ridicule mine or reaffirm your own biases. Express your own concerns and/or support your own ideals. Your antics reek of repression and aren't constructive.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    See, I have a serious problem that in 2013, a woman's choices can be interpreted as "giving up" something for a man.
    Simple question: Do women own their own lives? Isn't that the goal of feminism? If the answer is yes, then every choice a woman makes is by her own volition.
    Decisions aren't made in a vacuum. There are many forces and influences that guide the decisions we make, especially regarding gender roles.

If a woman chooses to have a baby, she did it because SHE wanted children and NOT because she was giving a man some babies.
    If a woman chooses to leave work and stay at home, she did it because SHE wanted to make that choice and NOT because a man forced her to do it.
    Today, women make choices. They aren't victims of men.

Same argument as above. Now I am not against being a SAHM, it is not a decision that I would make but I do not believe that all women who choose that path are wrong to do so. What I question is when societal pressures dictate that woman should take on certain roles "for the good fo the family" when in fact what they really mean is they want women to stay in their lane and not disturb the status quo.

What's crazy is that feminists, for all their talk about empowering women, have fallen victim to a set of beliefs designed and created by men. At one time, life was just life and people lived. Then, as time went on, the world became more industrialized and the modern corporate system was created by men. Because they created it, they did all the PR and told everyone that corporate life was the end all to be all. They created the rules and the structure. They created advancement by competition, stepping over people, lying, using subterfuge, and "bending the rules" to get ahead. They created a workday and a work schedule that meant skewing your life in favor of work instead of having a happy, positive life.

Men created that system. Do women really want that? Shouldn't women choose to define the best in life by goals and ideas that come from a different source?

Of course that world was created by privileged men, the women, at least those who could afford to, were at home being the homemakers because that is what society expected of them. But again these were the women who's husbands made enough money to take care of them because the others were tilling the fields or working on the factory floors. So to say that men created the system ignores the fact that women were kept out of it and there fore were not present to shape the system. Also what is usually considered the alternative for women, like being a SAHM or even doing charity work are not recognized as having the same value as the work done by men. The same can be said for jobs that are that are traditionally held by women like nursing or being a pre-school teacher.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234