Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hairline neatness

Hello All,

I wonder if I can get some advice. I've seen all the pics of gorgeous locs with perfectly defined parts and really neat looking hairlines. I take care of my own loss but can't seem to get them neat like that. Do I have to use product to get the hairs to stay with each other? I'm hesitant to do so because my scalp is really sensitive but am willing to listen and try a few things. Thanks.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have the same problem. to be honest, i personally just give up after a while and enjoy the mini fro that i call a hairline. its way better than having no hairline at all!

however some tricks i have used in the past for interviews and other special occasions are :

when manicuring, twist the loc gently into a small "cinnamon roll" at the root. when twisted this way, the loc can stay neater for a longer period of time. here's an example ::

use a hair wrap that is sturdy enough to lay down the fly-away hairs. because of the way the hairs are laid down, it gives the illusion of neater locs.

you can also try interlocking too. you can also try a method by a YTber (she's here too) name dewdrop - she uses a needle and thread method that connects the loose hairs to the locs.

i dunno how long you've had your locs, but if your locs are in its early stages, it will be more of a difficult task achieving the "neat" look, as they are still forming.

also, i don't palmroll - i wish i did - palmrolling seriously gives locs a cylindrical "neat look" in my experience.

good luck

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. I tend to give up too, because...well I can't deal with the drama. lol I think interlocking would work because I do the cinnamon twist and the stubborn locs just do what they want.

I've had my locs for 14 months.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh i see, locs are very stubborn indeed! just let them do what it do.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by earthskymother View Post
    Hello All,

I wonder if I can get some advice. I've seen all the pics of gorgeous locs with perfectly defined parts and really neat looking hairlines. I take care of my own loss but can't seem to get them neat like that. Do I have to use product to get the hairs to stay with each other? I'm hesitant to do so because my scalp is really sensitive but am willing to listen and try a few things. Thanks.

The only time my hair looks anything near "perfect" is when I do this:

1) twist TIGHT. and palm roll the entire loc

2) use gel. this is not the time for a water/oil retwist, you'll need some real loc gel.

3) use clips and clip them in a way that doesn't allow the loc to move AT ALL. I used to only clip the root and let the rest hang, now I start in the back of my head and work forward while clipping each loc as close to the end as possible and pulling them back. (hope that makes sense)

4) let them dry completely before touching them at all. might even have to use a hooded dryer.

5) wrap them every single night and never let them get wet.

Also, remember that if the picture is of a guy he probably had a barber line him up.

------

I only do this on the rare occasion that I need my hair to be nailed. Mostly I latch/semi-freeform. I have to remind myself that when I see pics of people with locs their hair is done for the picture. On a day-to-day basis few loc'ers have hair that's "perfect".