Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ even if you get a car you have to factor in the cost of the car, gas, upkeep of the car, long term parking, parking when you want to go anywhere etc. all of those things can easily add up to 200-300$ a month which is sometimes about the same price as paying for the more expensive place in the city

one thing you could do is search for apartments in neighborhoods on the outskirts of the more popular expensive places. all too often those rents are much cheaper. that's pretty much what i do and that ends up saving me oodles of $$

you still get all the benefits of living in the nicer section but since you're a few blocks out of some city zoning plan, you pay less $. i'd say on average (i've done this in every city i've lived in) this has saved me $400 a month on rent .

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigh. Great thread... confirms that I can't afford to move out of my parents house. Le sigh.
    BC'd: June 14th 2010! // Twitter // Blog

Go PANK. DO IT!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl2012 View Post
    ^ even if you get a car you have to factor in the cost of the car, gas, upkeep of the car, long term parking, parking when you want to go anywhere etc. all of those things can easily add up to 200-300$ a month which is sometimes about the same price as paying for the more expensive place in the city
    I second this. The combination of maintaining a car and living in some of the places I considered in the MD suburbs nearly matched what I now pay to live in DC proper without a car, unless I moved WAY outside of the city. Parking in DC can get expensive. I can't even park at work for free. So I opted to skip the car payments, gas, insurance, and parking fees and chose to live within walking distance of my job. I barely even use the Metro, which also adds up quickly.

I don't want to get off on a relationship tangent, but I was joking with one of my friends yesterday that while she wants marriage for companionship, I am equally as interested in having somebody to split these bills!

*Live & Let Live*
    :: Unapologetically Natural for 27 years! :: I my locs!

Click here to PANK yourself!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nickib View Post
    Sigh. Great thread... confirms that I can't afford to move out of my parents house. Le sigh.
    I actually wish I could live with my parents for a year or two to save money, pay off my student loans, and help my parents fix up their home. I just don't have job options where they live.

I hope this season is allowing you to save save save!

*Live & Let Live*
    :: Unapologetically Natural for 27 years! :: I my locs!

Click here to PANK yourself!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl2012 View Post
    All of this right here!!! I live at home almost rent free and that's a Godsend. I would never be able to pay rent and maintain my car unless I double my monthly income because gas, insurance, and the note equal 60% of my net pay.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: All the single ladies...

Quote Originally Posted by Mirah Nirvana View Post
    My rent is about 28% of my current net pay. I could go lower but like llbell mentioned my safety and peace of mind is quite valuable. My neighborhood is quiet and people are friendly.

I don't plan on moving anytime soon and I'm doing well for myself. :-)
    Haha...well I did move this year. My mortgage is now about 25% of my current net pay. Got a raise with my new job and my mortgage is lower than my rent was when I made the post above. I have the perfect amount of space for me and my little gray snuggly cat. Moved from the county into the city, and I like my decision

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: All the single ladies...

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    Especially if you live alone, really ask yourself how much space you actually need. I've been living in two-bedroom spaces for the last 15 years and yet I barely used all that space. In most cases the second bedroom (home office) wasn't really necessary.

Until last month I was working 2 jobs, and my rent and utilities was 30% of my take-home pay. Now that I'm down to one job, it's up to 75% which is one big reason why I'll be moving in the next couple of months.
    Funny to see this...I've moved twice since I posted this and now I'm back to paying about 30% of my take-home pay on rent and utilities. However, I'm now in a three-bedroom apartment but one big reason for that is because I wanted to have a real guest bedroom (with an actual bed instead of an air mattress) for the first time in my life. I suspect by the time I finally fully furnish this place I'll have saved up enough to buy a place and then I'll move again...
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

8. Thanks Mirah Nirvana thanked for this post
    Likes Mirah Nirvana, Ororo liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12